Camtool 2 extension: perf fix and more features

Apps Camtool 2 extension: perf fix and more features 2.2.1

Login or Register an account to download this content
Will there be a chance of fixing the sudden camera movement when switching between cars and making it so it can be immediately focused on the car? Switching between drivers still seems very wonky and it barely looks smooth.

Hello, everyone,

Are there different settings in one pack for the presets that can be downloaded, e.g. via F3 TV1;TV2;TV3 etc.? If so, how can you switch through? Or is it always a single camera per file.

I had a small idea, would it be possible on this part:
"The default value of this new field "Specific cam" is "Camtool". If you click on it, it will cycle through standard assetto cameras. Then, when this camera is enabled, it will switch to this instead of the camtool camera."

To add in another option perhaps to randomise the camera, or set an alternative cam that it would use some of the time...

I.e. camera "random" "Amount 20 %". So sometimes rather than the camtool camera for example occasionally it would use another such as dash cam etc.

This could be set up for each cam instance. It would not be perfect as would perhaps be difficult to exclude certain cameras from the random selection, but could be possible via an ini?

Another is if this could add cam tool as an ingame camera that could be utilised by other apps like bcast and announcerbot.. but thats interacting with other mods.

Hi, everything is possible :)

About other mods, it could be possible, I actually made a case on github about it: https://github.com/tmeedend/camtool/issues/12

About cam randomness, It is possible. I was also thinking of other solutions:
  • add the possibility to switch randomly between several config files of the same track.
  • being able to specify several cams for the same place (or time), and then randomly switch between the cams specified. It's harder to implement as it would require UI update and changing the way information is stored in these config files (this means it won't be compatible with older version of camtool).

The big problem for now is that I am struggling with the existing code. More hands are needed to code and help to add more stuff and fix the existing bugs. Everything is on github, the code is shared, I am desperately waiting for pull requests :D

All bugs and feature ideas are here: https://github.com/tmeedend/camtool/issues

I am going to add the idea to have some randomness with the cams :)

Hey all. How are you?
Would it be possible to add a function to type values for camera orientation (x, y, and z-axis) just as you can with the "camera in" parameter? Currently, you have to activate CamTool and click the arrows to go beyond 180º (positive or negative). That is a lot of clicking in some situations. :O_o:

Hey all. How are you?
Would it be possible to add a function to type values for camera orientation (x, y, and z-axis) just as you can with the "camera in" parameter? Currently, you have to activate CamTool and click the arrows to go beyond 180º (positive or negative). That is a lot of clicking in some situations. :O_o:
Hi,
I had made also a case about this here: https://github.com/tmeedend/camtool/issues/4
Yes it's possible but I don't have time to work on it. Help from the community is needed to contribute to the code.

Has anyone else had an issue with the app disappearing from the sidebar in game? was working fine one day and then the next was gone, if I revert to the original without this update it is there again as soon as I install this its gone

I had the same issue. I have always used the original because of it. I never tracked down why. (nobody has ever responded tbh :D)
So when I tried reinstalling this version to sus out what was going on this time I just did update over existing instead of clean install which I think I had tried originally after it disappeared, why it disappeared in the first place I have absolutely no idea but when I updated over existing the app is still there for me now

So when I tried reinstalling this version to sus out what was going on this time I just did update over existing instead of clean install which I think I had tried originally after it disappeared, why it disappeared in the first place I have absolutely no idea but when I updated over existing the app is still there for me now
I just tried to clean my current installation by removing the CamTool_2 folder in apps/python and unzipped my 2.2.0 version again without the original. And it works. Sorry I can't fix if I can't reproduce. If someone reproduce and can show me a screenshot of the error while loading, maybe I will be able to fix it.
Anyway, good to here that you managed to find a way to make it works. I'm going to add it to the description in case it can help someone else.

I just tried to clean my current installation by removing the CamTool_2 folder in apps/python and unzipped my 2.2.0 version again without the original. And it works. Sorry I can't fix if I can't reproduce. If someone reproduce and can show me a screenshot of the error while loading, maybe I will be able to fix it.
Anyway, good to here that you managed to find a way to make it works. I'm going to add it to the description in case it can help someone else.
For me there was no error just the App completely disappeared from within AC.

Seems not too common an issue? Meh, maybe just me - and I'm happy enough with old version.

I'll try again at some point. [I so enjoy CamTool it's a risky business altering it!] :D

ETA - Thanks for response btw.

Last edited:
Having an issue with changing fov after placing a few cameras, zoom level becomes locked at a single fov, and cannot be increased or decreased with keyboard shortcuts or app buttons while camtool is active. Activating camtool just restores the same fov and reloading the replay/game doesn't fix the issue.

Not my video, but this is the issue I'm having:

Having an issue with changing fov after placing a few cameras, zoom level becomes locked at a single fov, and cannot be increased or decreased with keyboard shortcuts or app buttons while camtool is active. Activating camtool just restores the same fov and reloading the replay/game doesn't fix the issue.

Its a bug in Camtool, the final camera of your set doesnt work. If you add camera #21, then cam #20 will work correctly.

Last edited:

As said above, it's a (very annoying!!) bug. I struggled with it for a good while.

I don't know that Hemmola's fix works......I don't think it does.

The workaround I know of is a bit annoying, fiddly and restrictive. It goes like this (video posted at end to illustrate):

---make a fixed first cam at start, then make 2nd one identical but triggered before the start line.....then go back to first cam and continue as normal inserting cams before the last one. This seems to 'close the loop' and ensures Hemmola's "Camera 21" is always set right, from the get-go?

Video showing workaround - thanks to Andre/ATR cams

**ETA - Hemmola's workaround sounds better (if it works). Could you better explain it, Hemmola? SFAIK that doesn't work, the error just replicates on Camera 21 in your example, and doesn't alter Cam20 which also remains broken.

Could you better illustrate your workaround, please? Because it sounds a much better 'fix' than the one I have been shown.

Last edited:
As said above, it's a (very annoying!!) bug. I struggled with it for a good while.

I don't know that Hemmola's fix works......I don't think it does.

The workaround I know of is a bit annoying, fiddly and restrictive. It goes like this (video posted at end to illustrate):

---make a fixed first cam at start, then make 2nd one identical but triggered before the start line.....then go back to first cam and continue as normal inserting cams before the last one. This seems to 'close the loop' and ensures Hemmola's "Camera 21" is always set right, from the get-go?

Video showing workaround - thanks to Andre/ATR cams

**ETA - Hemmola's workaround sounds better (if it works). Could you better explain it, Hemmola? SFAIK that doesn't work, the error just replicates on Camera 21 in your example, and doesn't alter Cam20 which also remains broken.

Could you better illustrate your workaround, please? Because it sounds a much better 'fix' than the one I have been shown.
It works, I have used Camtool a lot (over 65 competitions streamed with Camtool + a ton of edits.)

My method is basically the same as in the ATR video. Final cam will always be bugged. Adding it when you begin making cameras or later has the same result. ATR method is a good practice though, I suggest doing that!<

EDIT:

Final cam and first cam can have animations used, just need to keep an eye on the keyframes and movements, so there is no lag with the cam switch

Last edited:
It works, I have used Camtool a lot (over 65 competitions streamed with Camtool + a ton of edits.)

My method is basically the same as in the ATR video. Final cam will always be bugged. Adding it when you begin making cameras or later has the same result. ATR method is a good practice though, I suggest doing that!<

EDIT:

Final cam and first cam can have animations used, just need to keep an eye on the keyframes and movements, so there is no lag with the cam switch
Thanks for response!

Could you to be more explicit on your method, please? Everybody who uses camtool is going to bump into this problem and it would be great to have a clear and ready fix for this issue (which ruins camsets and wastes a lot of effort otherwise).

Would a short video be possible? If not, maybe a clear written explanation? Pleeeeeease ;)

Latest News

What would make you race in our Club events

• Special events

Votes: 79 29.0%
  • More leagues

Votes: 55 20.2%
  • Prizes

Votes: 59 21.7%
  • Trophies

Votes: 34 12.5%
  • Forum trophies

Votes: 18 6.6%