Camtool 2 extension: perf fix and more features

Apps Camtool 2 extension: perf fix and more features 2.2.1

Login or Register an account to download this content
Amazing what code changes can do! I had 80fps with the original package and now it's pushing it to my current refresh rate of 144 with ease. There was really no justified reason for that fps drop, graphics-wise.

Hi,

The camtool seems like a great tool, but I can't figure out how to use most of the stuff. Is there any documentation for how to use it?

One thing I would like to do is to use the helicopter view. But cycling through the cameras (going through the F1 keys or each of the F2-9 keys don't get me the helicopter view).

Would most appreciate any pointers on how to use this app.

Thanks!

Last edited:
Hey, does anyone has a similar issue where the previous keyframes wouldn't chain together? I had some keyframes in my camtool setup for my replay, but it seems like only the latest keyframe would work but the rest before it wouldn't. Would happy to have a helping hand here, thanks!

Sorry for my ignorance but is the 'Audio Popping on Camera Change' a known bug or is there a fix for it? I looked at the issues on Github and didn't see it being mentioned, nor did I see it being mentioned on the download page here.
hI do you fix this audio problem? I have a audio bip almost everytime when the camera change. thx!

Hi, I've had an idea. Given the path CM has gone in terms of lua, is it possible to create a database where within the app you can view all data files made for the track/ version of the track you are in the game on and then proceed to download the said file(s) to apply without having to leave the game? Management of said files should also be possible where youre allowed to share with a friend or delete a file that youre not interested in having. The database should be online where creators are allowed access to upload their files with a metadata file which grabs the version of the track etc for matching. Also, one would think that being able to upload the files directly to the database from the app while in the game should be possible.

Hey there, not sure if anyone can help or if I'm just missing something, but I'm not seeing any performance improvement with this. It seems like camtool2 is eating up around 60 fps and adding about 10ms of CPU latency. Sadly, it's making things pretty tough to use since my frame timing is all over the place.

Hi, I've had an idea. Given the path CM has gone in terms of lua, is it possible to create a database where within the app you can view all data files made for the track/ version of the track you are in the game on and then proceed to download the said file(s) to apply without having to leave the game? Management of said files should also be possible where youre allowed to share with a friend or delete a file that youre not interested in having. The database should be online where creators are allowed access to upload their files with a metadata file which grabs the version of the track etc for matching. Also, one would think that being able to upload the files directly to the database from the app while in the game should be possible.
Hi !
You mean camtool files? That's a good idea! The thing is that the only one capable of changing CM is Ilja himself.
I think it could be handled more like the ext CSP config and textures files :
1692812165353.png

Plus camtool files are very small, so managing them is not very important I think. Unless you really don't want to use them. Also, track versions are not very important I think, because camtool only use coordinates which doesn't change usually between track versions.

Some time ago, I was also thinking of another solution : use a git repository where camtool files could be. This way, you could also have automatically the camtool file of the tracks you have. But the authors of these camtools should of course agree first, or better, they could push their files directly on the git repo through pull requests. What do you think @Atrupelador ?

I could also update the camtool to show some information about the author of a config file, for example, a link to his website, a description, etc ...

By the way, you don't need LUA to have the file showing in camtool, as long as the file is on your hard drive, it will show up in camtool.

Cheers

Hey there, not sure if anyone can help or if I'm just missing something, but I'm not seeing any performance improvement with this. It seems like camtool2 is eating up around 60 fps and adding about 10ms of CPU latency. Sadly, it's making things pretty tough to use since my frame timing is all over the place.
Hello, compare usage with the python debug app with the old camtool and the new. You should see big differences. But as I explained in the mod page, FPS gain will depend on your system. If you have a big config, it won't make much differences.

Hi !
You mean camtool files? That's a good idea! The thing is that the only one capable of changing CM is Ilja himself.
I think it could be handled more like the ext CSP config and textures files :
View attachment 689438

Plus camtool files are very small, so managing them is not very important I think. Unless you really don't want to use them. Also, track versions are not very important I think, because camtool only use coordinates which doesn't change usually between track versions.

Some time ago, I was also thinking of another solution : use a git repository where camtool files could be. This way, you could also have automatically the camtool file of the tracks you have. But the authors of these camtools should of course agree first, or better, they could push their files directly on the git repo through pull requests. What do you think @Atrupelador ?

I could also update the camtool to show some information about the author of a config file, for example, a link to his website, a description, etc ...

By the way, you don't need LUA to have the file showing in camtool, as long as the file is on your hard drive, it will show up in camtool.

Cheers
You mentioned Camtool uses coordinates that don't change, but I've been trying to improve the AI line of some tracks, which caused some issues with camera timing. I wonder how complicated it is to generate a spline so Camtool doesn't rely on the AI line. With that we can change the AI line at will without the side effect of altering the relative position of the key frames. Perhaps we could record a line like in the AI Line Helper app?

You mentioned Camtool uses coordinates that don't change, but I've been trying to improve the AI line of some tracks, which caused some issues with camera timing. I wonder how complicated it is to generate a spline so Camtool doesn't rely on the AI line. With that we can change the AI line at will without the side effect of altering the relative position of the key frames. Perhaps we could record a line like in the AI Line Helper app?
Oh ok! I didn't know that. I don't know how it's used. I even don't understand why it needs it. It should only need the cars coordinates to calculate I think ... Maybe for AI cars? I am going to check the code. I never learnt about AI lines in assetto...

I wonder if it does worth it to put lot of efforts and time trying to refactor camtool, with AC2 coming ...

Last edited:
Oh ok! I didn't know that. I don't know how it's used. I even don't understand why it needs it. It should only need the cars coordinates to calculate I think ... Maybe for AI cars? I am going to check the code. I never learnt about AI lines in assetto...

I wonder if it does worth it to put lot of efforts and time trying to refactor camtool, with AC2 coming ...
Camtool uses AI line to determine the position of the key frames. Just as you would have on a timeline on Premiere or Davinci Resolve. (Or any animation software). Without it I think it wouldn't be possible to animate the cameras.
I've been exploring it on Chat GPT, trying to learn how to do stuff on Python, but it's been quite an undertaking. If we could record a specific line (by driving - just like the AI Helper tool allows you to do) and have CamTool use it instead of the AI line, it would be enough.
You have a point, though. I do hope implementing stuff to apps will be easyer on AC2 or even Rennsport. Just so I won't keep annoying people with ideas :rolleyes::D

Camtool uses AI line to determine the position of the key frames. Just as you would have on a timeline on Premiere or Davinci Resolve. (Or any animation software). Without it I think it wouldn't be possible to animate the cameras.
I've been exploring it on Chat GPT, trying to learn how to do stuff on Python, but it's been quite an undertaking. If we could record a specific line (by driving - just like the AI Helper tool allows you to do) and have CamTool use it instead of the AI line, it would be enough.
You have a point, though. I do hope implementing stuff to apps will be easyer on AC2 or even Rennsport. Just so I won't keep annoying people with ideas :rolleyes::D
Ok, I understand better. You mean when we use the default option:
1693246012920.png

That makes sense. We could record another line, by using the same tools. We would just have to tell camtool to use this one instead of the default one. I have to dig in the code to see how camtool identifies where it is, does it use a build in assetto function does it do another way I don't know.

I would be happy to help you to learn coding in Python, especially for camtool. But the thing is that the code is very complicated, especially the one making mathematical calculation. Are you good in mathematics and geometry? It's not complicated to code apps in assetto (especially since last CSP updates), but the legacy camtool code is a big chalenge. I am programming for years, but understanding all these formulas is hard and out of my skills.

Another good evolution of camtool would be to have all the most important options in one tab insead of having several tabs like camera, transform etc... That would save a lot of clicks. This evol is easy to do, that's just UI. But it nevertheless takes a llt of time and I don't know if people would prefer it.

I would be more motivated if other people would also contribute to the project with me. The gitlab repository is up, everybody can do pull requests. And there is already a lot of ideas on the github issues list.

No Matter how powerful for this camera app being said, it is hard to pickup on how to use it. I have watch ten of yt videos and have tried for more than a hour, i couldnt get it to know how to configure it

No Matter how powerful for this camera app being said, it is hard to pickup on how to use it. I have watch ten of yt videos and have tried for more than a hour, i couldnt get it to know how to configure it
Agree with takayo72, I had the same experience and can only use it for some very rudimentary functions. Is there a comprehensive manual that documents what each button does? That would be a good starter.

Hello guys I am uninstalling and installing again and I have the same problem.

After recording with Camtool and Dronecam... the replay is always offset, the replay is like moved 1 meter behind. for example, If I record only the driver's view, in the replay.. I see everything from the backseat

any idea?

I have this nagging issue where sometimes the camera refuses to animate/interpolate between keyframes. SOMETIMES, saving, clicking reset, and loading fixes this issue, but a lot of times it doesn't. I'm open to working around the issue, but I don't really understand what causes this problem in the first place. Does anyone face a similar problem?

I have this nagging issue where sometimes the camera refuses to animate/interpolate between keyframes. SOMETIMES, saving, clicking reset, and loading fixes this issue, but a lot of times it doesn't. I'm open to working around the issue, but I don't really understand what causes this problem in the first place. Does anyone face a similar problem?
the focus, zoom bug?

If so, one workaround is to make the first camera then make the last camera - and make it identical to first. [Fixed cam across start/finish is simplest/best[ Then insert 2nd cam, 3rd, 4th.....as normal.

Latest News

Are you buying car setups?

• Yes

• No

Results are only viewable after voting.
Back