Camtool 2 extension: perf fix and more features

Apps Camtool 2 extension: perf fix and more features 2.2.1

Login or Register an account to download this content
If the app is detected but doesn't show up, there must be some errors showing up in the python debug app. Can you try opening the "python debug app" app ingame and see if you have some errors on the tab "python log" please?

This is the error:

[CamTool_2: error] Traceback (most recent call last):
File "apps/python/CamTool_2\CamTool_2.py", line 7, in <module>
import keyboard
File "apps/python/CamTool_2\keyboard\__init__.py", line 122, in <module>
from. import _winkeyboard as _os_keyboard
File "apps/python/CamTool_2\keyboard\_winkeyboard.py", line 31, in <module>
import ctypes
File "C:\Program Files (x86)\Steam\steamapps\common\assettocorsa\system\x64\python33.zip\ctypes\__init__.py", line 7, in <module>
ImportError: No module named '_ctypes'

Absolutely awesome work! I potentially have a suggestion for a future update which would probably be very appreciated for those who record using the CAMTOOL free camera. I like to use the Camtool free camera as opposed to the stock one because it comes with an option to smoothly pan, zoom in/out, however, with the stock camtool, you can only pan around with the smooth camera as far as the resolution of your screen, whereas with stock you can freely pan with no limits. I was wondering if it's even possible to change this so the camtool smoothened freecamere can pan with no limitations like the stock one? Thanks! Cyber.

Absolutely awesome work! I potentially have a suggestion for a future update which would probably be very appreciated for those who record using the CAMTOOL free camera. I like to use the Camtool free camera as opposed to the stock one because it comes with an option to smoothly pan, zoom in/out, however, with the stock camtool, you can only pan around with the smooth camera as far as the resolution of your screen, whereas with stock you can freely pan with no limits. I was wondering if it's even possible to change this so the camtool smoothened freecamere can pan with no limitations like the stock one? Thanks! Cyber.
We are more focused on optimizing the app and adding interface features. The code about cameras and view is more difficult. I don't if it's impossible though. Anyway, you can add this idea to the github project so we remember it and try to add this when we will be more comfortable with the code.

Last edited:
I report a bug, when using camtool with other cars used by AI, camtool does not work and always returns to the car I use, what can I do?
Sorry I don't understand. Can you be more specific? You have to change the car you want to track in camtool in the "tracking" tab.

Thanks for this very useful testing!
It's gonna be hard for me to fix this alone. Is there a way I can reproduce quickly? Can you send me the camtool config used and the circuit? I think I got the car already ;)

Do you know a bit about coding? Maybe you can try commenting the new code on CamToolTool.py and uncomment the old one which is still here to find out where the problem is.

Are you sure this does not happen with the original camtool app?
Sorry for the delay getting back to you, I was out of town for the last week.
I have no experience with coding.
On the original app this does not happen. The only instance is when the car runs over the red lines (track boundaries), but I believe this is not related to what I'm reporting here.
I have 3 camera sets for the drag strip. I recommend using a fast car. It is perfect for reproducing this scenario:

01 - 100 tracking/ 0 offset/
02 - 0 tracking/ 0 offset/ cam animation only
03 - 50 tracking/ 04 offset + cam animation

* I've noticed the values for camera position and orientation change at a slow pace (they kinda skip values). On the original app they change in real time. Could it be related to tracking or how the app "reads" these values?

* This is the link with the data files for camtool - the link will expire in one week - 27/11/2021

* Take your time, I know there are a lot of requests and a ton of feedback.
Cheers, mate. Thank you for your hard work.

On the original app this does not happen. The only instance is when the car runs over the red lines (track boundaries), but I believe this is not related to what I'm reporting here.
I have 3 camera sets for the drag strip. I recommend using a fast car. It is perfect for reproducing this scenario:

* I've noticed the values for camera position and orientation change at a slow pace (they kinda skip values). On the original app they change in real time. Could it be related to tracking or how the app "reads" these values?

* This is the link with the data files for camtool - the link will expire in one week - 27/11/2021

Thanks I'm going to check this. It's not related with the fact that values for camera is less refreshed. Doing it in real time was part of the perf problem. It's not related with camera calculations.

Last edited:

I have submitted the bug here: https://github.com/tmeedend/camtool/issues/20

ktulu77 updated Camtool 2 extension: perf fix and more features with a new update entry:

cycle through cams with F10, more settings + 1 old bug fix

new features:
  • pressing F10 will cycle through camtool data files
  • hotkeys y,u,i,o,p can be disabled in the settings menu
  • camtool now remembers the last loaded data file of a track and load it. This option can be disabled in the settings menu.
  • continue code refactoring (split code into several files)
fix:
  • fixed data files not showing in the load/save menu when the track folder contains a - or a .

Read the rest of this update entry...

Great work ktulu77!

One request for feature. Now we get better quality DOF and control over aperture when opening CSP Photo app. Downside with using Photo app + Camtool is that autofocus does not work and neither does it when setting the focus points manually to change with the keyframes.

If its possible to bring in features from Photo app, aperture and fix for rack focus would be great and possibly lighting angle and the time offset. Could do some wild shots especially with the last two,

Edit. Remembered some bugs I am so used to by now that it's just part of the workflow :D

First one is, when I have multiple cameras then at some point the last camera becomes bugged and the animations with keyframes don't work. Problem is solved by adding a new camera, after that the previous camera animations work again normally. Usually I just add a camera straight away to the end of ai-line, but on some tracks it's a couple extra step to make the first and final cameras to look good.

Second one is that the camera tracking does not work online on any cars past pit 29. This causes problem when there are many cars on server. I use Camtool for all our competition streams and its no problem when the competition is running, since we group the drivers into way smaller groups than 29. But on the training server where there are 50+ cars, this bug limits alot.

Third is Camera shake and Tracking shake, in the original Camtool for some reason I could not get the animations to change with keyframes.

Latest video with all shots filmed with Camtool

Edit2. One more bug

This one I think was not present in the original Camtool. So when I have multiple cam files saved for a track and while editing a certain cam file and saving it, it does not save it, but reverts to previous versions the same cam, or to a different cam file altogether. After this happens, it stays buggy until I go into the files and change the names of the cam files. This brings them back to what they where, with the latest saved stuff present as they should. This one is so new for me I don't know what causes this or how to prevent it, seems random

Oh yeah, these bugs are on Pin mode, the one that tracks the car from ai-line. Dont know if same bugs are present with Timer mode

Last edited:
Great work ktulu77!

One request for feature. Now we get better quality DOF and control over aperture when opening CSP Photo app. Downside with using Photo app + Camtool is that autofocus does not work and neither does it when setting the focus points manually to change with the keyframes.

If its possible to bring in features from Photo app, aperture and fix for rack focus would be great and possibly lighting angle and the time offset. Could do some wild shots especially with the last two,

Edit. Remembered some bugs I am so used to by now that it's just part of the workflow :D

First one is, when I have multiple cameras then at some point the last camera becomes bugged and the animations with keyframes don't work. Problem is solved by adding a new camera, after that the previous camera animations work again normally. Usually I just add a camera straight away to the end of ai-line, but on some tracks it's a couple extra step to make the first and final cameras to look good.

Second one is that the camera tracking does not work online on any cars past pit 29. This causes problem when there are many cars on server. I use Camtool for all our competition streams and its no problem when the competition is running, since we group the drivers into way smaller groups than 29. But on the training server where there are 50+ cars, this bug limits alot.

Third is Camera shake and Tracking shake, in the original Camtool for some reason I could not get the animations to change with keyframes.

Latest video with all shots filmed with Camtool

Edit2. One more bug

This one I think was not present in the original Camtool. So when I have multiple cam files saved for a track and while editing a certain cam file and saving it, it does not save it, but reverts to previous versions the same cam, or to a different cam file altogether. After this happens, it stays buggy until I go into the files and change the names of the cam files. This brings them back to what they where, with the latest saved stuff present as they should. This one is so new for me I don't know what causes this or how to prevent it, seems random

Oh yeah, these bugs are on Pin mode, the one that tracks the car from ai-line. Dont know if same bugs are present with Timer mode
Thank you for all these reports! I see what you mean with the last cam not working. I experienced it also.

It would help me a lot if you could create an issue for each bug on the new github page of the app. This way we can track each bug and we won't forget them.

Anyway I will try to fix them... I didn't notice the bug with the save files. If you could give the exact process to reproduce that would be great. If it's obvious I should be able to reproduce and fix it on my own.

Thanks again!

Latest News

What would be the ideal raceday for you to join our Club Races?

• Monday

Votes: 37 13.7%
  • Tuesday

Votes: 31 11.5%
  • Wednesday

Votes: 37 13.7%
  • Thursday

Votes: 34 12.6%
  • Friday

Votes: 91 33.7%
  • Saturday

Votes: 155 57.4%