Camtool 2 extension: perf fix and more features

Apps Camtool 2 extension: perf fix and more features 2.2.1

Login or Register an account to download this content
Not only on replays.
Problems of sound start when Camtool window is launch but only with version 0.3

ok thanks ;)

Last edited:
Hi, thanks for your help!

For v 0.2, I don't think I touched anything about sound.
For the version 0.3 though, there is some things that could be related to it.
On the file "CamToolTool.py", at the end, there is this code:
def get_volume(self):
# self.__path.GetVolume.restype = ctypes.c_float
# return self.__path.GetVolume()
return ac.ext_getAudioVolume()

def set_volume(self, value):
# self.__path.SetVolume.argtypes = [ctypes.c_float]
# self.__path.SetVolume.restype = ctypes.c_bool
# return self.__path.SetVolume(value)
return ac.ext_setAudioVolume(value)

--> basically, all lines starting by "#" are old codes which are disabled. You can try revert to the old code by removing these # and add a # at the begining of the new code which doesn't have a # Like this:

def get_volume(self):
self.__path.GetVolume.restype = ctypes.c_float
return self.__path.GetVolume()
# return ac.ext_getAudioVolume()

def set_volume(self, value):
self.__path.SetVolume.argtypes = [ctypes.c_float]
self.__path.SetVolume.restype = ctypes.c_bool
return self.__path.SetVolume(value)
#return ac.ext_setAudioVolume(value)

Can you test and tell us if there is still a problem ? Maybe, you can try also with the functions just on top of these ones about replay and if the problem is still here after these changes.

Some other questions:
- does this bug occurs only on replay ?
- can you confirm that this only happens on version 0.3 ?

The changes made on version 0.3 are just on this file "CamToolTool.py" so you could try applying the fix on a fresh camtool2 without the version 0.2 to be sure the problem is from this file and not modifications from v0.2

I think it would be better to track bugs/issues on github here: https://github.com/tmeedend/camtool/issues because it's not easy to keep track of them on RaceDepartment.I have also created a board for things we could add: https://github.com/tmeedend/camtool/projects/1

Thank you!

Hey mate, I tested it again with v0.3 and recorded it to show you what was exactly happening with the audio. Then second half of the video is v0.4 applied where the audio is fixed. I hope this helps :)

Performance and audio are perfect now after v0.4.

I've noticed the keyboard shortcuts are not working. The ones I use the most (I don't even know if there are more):

alt+shift/ ctrl (zoom in/ zoom out)
holding alt allow you to look around freely with CamTool active.
*holding shift increase the steps to increase/ decrease values (by clicking on the arrows).*
holding ctrl decrease the steps to increase/ decrease values (by clicking on the arrows).

* this feature helps because some times the car position is beyond the possible values (179º; -179º). So you have to lock it and click on the arrows until you get what you need. (ex: -220º) That's the reason I mentioned that would be nice if we could type in the values we want.

Let me know if there is something I can do to improve my feedback.

And, again. Thank you so much for your work.

Amazing update! I'm really glad the performance is getting better and better. I'd love to use CamTool for league streaming one day and it's getting closer and closer with each update of yours.

I have a feature request of sorts, if it's possible. Could there be an option to sort of "override" Camtool's camera to show another view (f.e one of F6 cams) and make it not disappear the moment a car approaches another angle? There isn't really any way of displaying a longer onboard take while using the app.

Amazing update! I'm really glad the performance is getting better and better. I'd love to use CamTool for league streaming one day and it's getting closer and closer with each update of yours.

I have a feature request of sorts, if it's possible. Could there be an option to sort of "override" Camtool's camera to show another view (f.e one of F6 cams) and make it not disappear the moment a car approaches another angle? There isn't really any way of displaying a longer onboard take while using the app.
Thanks for highlighting this. I have released the fix.

I didn't understand well. Doesn't the new "specific cam" option I have added fill this need? You can select F1 and F6 cams with it.

Thanks for highlighting this. I have released the fix.

I didn't understand well. Doesn't the new "specific cam" option I have added fill this need? You can select F1 and F6 cams with it.

That feature in such form doesn't really let you use any onboard cameras whenever you please but only for parts of the track, where you manually set the specific camera in. This way wouldn't really work on a live transmission when you have let's say an action that you'd like to have an onboard view on, but only this one time. Instead, it would keep repeating the same cycle every time, depending on how you set it up.

I guess what I'm asking here for is a possibility to use both CamTool cameras and AC F6 onboard cameras without completetly disabling the first option in certain areas of the track on each lap. Right now you don't really get to choose between them in realtime. If we could press F6 while CamTool is on and stay on F6 cameras as long as we don't press F7 for free camera that the app uses, that would be perfect.

I don't know if it's too much to ask, I just think that it would make this app a perfect tool for not only making good replay cameras, but also much much better live transmissions.

That feature in such form doesn't really let you use any onboard cameras whenever you please but only for parts of the track, where you manually set the specific camera in. This way wouldn't really work on a live transmission when you have let's say an action that you'd like to have an onboard view on, but only this one time. Instead, it would keep repeating the same cycle every time, depending on how you set it up.

I guess what I'm asking here for is a possibility to use both CamTool cameras and AC F6 onboard cameras without completetly disabling the first option in certain areas of the track on each lap. Right now you don't really get to choose between them in realtime. If we could press F6 while CamTool is on and stay on F6 cameras as long as we don't press F7 for free camera that the app uses, that would be perfect.

I don't know if it's too much to ask, I just think that it would make this app a perfect tool for not only making good replay cameras, but also much much better live transmissions.
Oh ok I understand. What we could do to achieve this if I understand well is adding 2 functions:
- a keyboard shortcut for enabling / disabling camtool
- revert the camera used before switching to camtool. We can see this as a bug. This way, you can set the cam you want to use before enabling it for your live events.

What do you think ?

Oh ok I understand. What we could do to achieve this if I understand well is adding 2 functions:
- a keyboard shortcut for enabling / disabling camtool
- revert the camera used before switching to camtool. We can see this as a bug. This way, you can set the cam you want to use before enabling it for your live events.

What do you think ?

Could it be possible to make an action of 'disabling' CamTool the moment I'd switch to another AC camera? And make it come back to Camtool when pressing F7 for free cam?

I feel like that would be the most comfortable scenario if it is doable. A 'Disable camtool' button would also be useful, but if you wanted to use it for the thing I mentioned, it could be tricky to know for sure whenever you pressed it or not. At least in scenarios, where you want smooth transitions between a CamTool camera and AC camera. You'd have to press f.e F6 button and then Disable CamTool button so it doesn't revert back to another angle and if you miss it, you can't really know unless the camera switches to something else. Could be a bit uncofmortable.

@ktulu77 Please note that CSP provides an extension API for doing a few things not provided by the default AC API.

Of note would be the ability to set a specific "Drivable" camera:
ac.ext_setCurrentDrivableCamera(driveCam)

Cheers,

Dave\Esotic

I would love to see this tool become compatible with Esotics's version of Autocam, so we could use it for livestream where everything is handled automatically :thumbsup:

async keypress checks
1636286723744.png

can be replaced with these CSP-functions
Code:
if ac.ext_isButtonPressed("A"):
  keyA = True
if ac.ext_isAltPressed():
  keyALT = True
if ac.ext_isCtrlPressed():
  keyCTRL = True
if ac.ext_isShiftPressed():
  keySHIFT = True

Last edited:
@ktulu77 Please note that CSP provides an extension API for doing a few things not provided by the default AC API.

Of note would be the ability to set a specific "Drivable" camera:
ac.ext_setCurrentDrivableCamera(driveCam)

Cheers,

Dave\Esotic
Yes, I saw it. I had already added the "specific cam" option with standard functions but we always need to sync the first time as with the default functions, we cannot specify the exact cam. I'm going to try this one to see if we can specify exactly the one we want.
Could it be possible to make an action of 'disabling' CamTool the moment I'd switch to another AC camera? And make it come back to Camtool when pressing F7 for free cam?

I feel like that would be the most comfortable scenario if it is doable. A 'Disable camtool' button would also be useful, but if you wanted to use it for the thing I mentioned, it could be tricky to know for sure whenever you pressed it or not. At least in scenarios, where you want smooth transitions between a CamTool camera and AC camera. You'd have to press f.e F6 button and then Disable CamTool button so it doesn't revert back to another angle and if you miss it, you can't really know unless the camera switches to something else. Could be a bit uncofmortable.
Hm ok I think I understand! What you want is basically a FX key to switch to camtool like any other cam (F1, ...) So we could try to assign camtool to a F key (or any key we want actually). When we press this key, camtool becomes active, and when we press another cam key, camtool becomes inactive.

Am I right ?

I would love to see this tool become compatible with Esotics's version of Autocam, so we could use it for livestream where everything is handled automatically :thumbsup:
Yes, why not! But how? What does it need to become compatible with autocam?

Also, there is something else that could make camtool better with livestream. The problem for now is that the cams are not random, so each lap is with the same cam. It would be so nice if we could specify several cams for the same part of a circuit, and then camtool select one between them randomly. Or maybe it could switch between several camttol configs of the track randomly, this way, even the parts that are covered by camtool become random!

I was also thinking about something with the dronecam app or adding this function to camtool but it's a lot of work.

replace those
1636287181390.png

with something from here:
ac.ext_getReplayFrameMS() -> float: # frame time in ms
ac.ext_getReplayFrames() -> int: # number of recorded frames
ac.ext_getReplayPosition() -> int: # frame index
ac.ext_setReplayPosition(frameIndex: int):

and this
1636287352812.png

with something from here:
1636287381824.png

Latest News