Project CARS Modding Questions & WIP

@LamboMantisMan23
For the animated part binary files, I've just been rewriting them on the fly (such as on cars by John and Willie where I contribute). So, I haven't documented any of it.

For the files residing in the "anims" folder. The general practice is to locate a donor for things like wipers (suspension), then make use of the existing binaries. If you're planning on creating your own skeleton/bones for your models, along with weight painting the vertices, etc., then there would be a need to actually edit those binaries. I haven't sat down and documented any of it. But, I did look through them a little bit some time ago. The "Transform" chunk of data was easy to spot for all of the quaternion values...then there were chunks of other data that didn't match up to any of the prior XML based files (from past games).

@JDougNY Cheers, I'm guessing the same sort of values for animated parts are there as in S2U.

As for the anims, I managed to get them all working. Only last thing is actually turning donor files into your own. Say I want to use the physics from the Huayra as a base for a car but the name is a different size, I can't simply edit the name by adding bytes and when I edit the string size, I still get a crash. It's the same for anims, and any other hex donor files. I'll look more into it on my own so don't worry about doing a big explanation :)

@LamboMantisMan23 .....I won't go too crazy explaining as I've provided info in public folder to some of your problems.
Physics files are simple to grab and rename. In my VDFM translation, I provide the info as to the register that dictates the length of the string data section (should you need to add additional bytes into the file). Also, attention must be paid to the various pointers for CDFbin, EDFbin, SDFbin, etc. Sometimes, they have a value other than zero as they point to a specific location in String data (in cases where you might be using some physics files of various names). Also, if the VDFM is calling for a turbo, you'll want to make sure you have included that file with proper filename.
The final thing, all physics files must be named differently than any other original physics files.

As far as other hex files (including physics), there are normally registers at the beginning of the code that dictate the length of various sections of the file. Those need to be adjusted whenever any attempt is made to add in new bytes. Where this occurs in the physics files, I've noted those registers in the translations I've provided.

Hey peeps,

ruf rt35 and rt35s have been updated and are now compatible with game version 10.3.
JDougNY has painstakingly rewritten physics of both cars so grab them from here or here and have fun! :D

Last edited:
Hello you geniusses ;)
I'm currently working on my livery packs for the Mercedes DTM C-Coupe and was wondering if it might be possible to make the following parts paintable:
- the rear wing
- the side windows
- the windshield (not that important as there are numbers only in the 2015 season)
- the info plate inside the car (mounted to the dashboard on the passenger's side)

On the standard parts my progress is quite good, got the first four cars finished...
B677A90FB01D3EEA2C47B24C4687A48DEF17F9F7
430C1D615140912156FBB0DF8DBD6F801EED387C

If it's just not (easily) possible, no problem, I'll be fine with what I can do now.. But if there's a way to paint these parts as well, this would be absolutely amazing =)

Thank you guys in advance,
Reiche

I'm currently working on my livery packs for the Mercedes DTM C-Coupe and was wondering if it might be possible to make the following parts paintable:
- the rear wing
- the side windows
- the windshield (not that important as there are numbers only in the 2015 season)
- the info plate inside the car (mounted to the dashboard on the passenger's side)
The cars would need to be designed to run unpacked.
Some of the models would require a bit of reworking in order to allow painting and/or texture swaps in the RCF to provide what you are looking for. To keep my response from getting too long, I won't outline all that has to be done for the reworking.

Rear wing - once the car is working unpacked/reworked, the material on the wing can be changed to paint, and the UV mapping reworked to be placed somewhere safe on the paint template.

Side windows and windshield - The UV mapping of glass is currently designed to fit to a template. So, a texture/skin for glass could be made that combines both a glass color and the graphics you desire. You would color the alpha to provide the level of opacity/transparency you desire for the graphics, while leaving the remainder of the texture transparent. Texture swaps in the RCF can be performed should the graphics on the glass change for each skin selection. As I mentioned, there is some reworking to the model that needs to occur to allow this to be possible.

Info plate - I don't have the cockpit unpacked to check this. But, I would think that the info plate is part of an existing texture (cockpit texture). You could make new diffused, specular and normal textures and perform a texture swap in the RCF file. Or...if the polys for info plate are segregated, they could be reassigned/mapped to new material and textures.

Much respect to your work, the livery looks awsome, but the Mercedes DTM is nearly worthless, because there are no further DTM cars like Audi or BMW in the game.

JDougNY

Do you plan to make another unlocker or something similar to be ale to tweak some physics files? Because I'm not so sure that the Modding is easier now then it was before the patch (10)
One more question : How do I clone a car with this new system?
By the way thanks for you Inertia Calculator and Other Files

Last edited:
@B0B23
SMS made it easier for a user of mods to add a mod to a game. But, SMS made it more annoying for a creator of mods to do their work.

I'm pretty sure I have a way to manipulate the physics of the original cars....I haven't tested it (yet) because we have 9 more cars to push out for release. Also, if my idea works, I have to wait until after SMS stops supporting the game or they could patch up anything I can break into. As I think about this....they would still be lingering around due to working on pCars2 and nothing would stop them from returning to pCars and patching something up. Well...I'll see what happens after we get these cars done.

Clone cars: All I did was unpack the exterior and cockpit BFFs of a car, rename the file names, then hex edited each meb to change the folder/filenames for materials. To keep it simple, the character length of the new file name matched the character length of the source car. So, RUF_RGT8, became RUF_RT35 (or RUFRT35S for another car). For dummy files, I use a very small 56kb dummy BFFs....feel free to use the dummy that are provided in the cars we've released. Once the clone is working in game, I then make any modeling/material/texture changes, and (of course) write out new physics files.
Then new "Mods.txt" should be easy enough for people to understand.
Under this new mod code, the game seem pretty rigid with the folder and file naming. As an example, let's say we're making a new car named "Spyker_C8LM85"
vehicle folder name would be "SPYKER_C8LM85"
Files in the vehicle folder would have names starting with "SPYKER_C8LM85" (CDP, CDV, CGP, CPT, CRD, CSD, RCF, VHF, etc)
Physics files appear to be the same way, so for this example, the physics files would be named "SPYKER_C8LM85", too.

@B0B23
SMS made it easier for a user of mods to add a mod to a game. But, SMS made it more annoying for a creator of mods to do their work.

I'm pretty sure I have a way to manipulate the physics of the original cars....I haven't tested it (yet) because we have 9 more cars to push out for release. Also, if my idea works, I have to wait until after SMS stops supporting the game or they could patch up anything I can break into. As I think about this....they would still be lingering around due to working on pCars2 and nothing would stop them from returning to pCars and patching something up. Well...I'll see what happens after we get these cars done.

Clone cars: All I did was unpack the exterior and cockpit BFFs of a car, rename the file names, then hex edited each meb to change the folder/filenames for materials. To keep it simple, the character length of the new file name matched the character length of the source car. So, RUF_RGT8, became RUF_RT35 (or RUFRT35S for another car). For dummy files, I use a very small 56kb dummy BFFs....feel free to use the dummy that are provided in the cars we've released. Once the clone is working in game, I then make any modeling/material/texture changes, and (of course) write out new physics files.
Then new "Mods.txt" should be easy enough for people to understand.
Under this new mod code, the game seem pretty rigid with the folder and file naming. As an example, let's say we're making a new car named "Spyker_C8LM85"
vehicle folder name would be "SPYKER_C8LM85"
Files in the vehicle folder would have names starting with "SPYKER_C8LM85" (CDP, CDV, CGP, CPT, CRD, CSD, RCF, VHF, etc)
Physics files appear to be the same way, so for this example, the physics files would be named "SPYKER_C8LM85", too.
I just unpacked exterior and cockpit BFFs of Mercedes_AMG_GT3, but I don't see the CRD ? I guess for any other car I could use the files from the unlocker, but not for the new cars

You can grab that crd from crowtrobot's custom grid tool. He unpacked boot files where some of the car files reside. They are scattered all over bootfiles unfortunately.
Many relevant files are in pakfilesx64 (HRDFPERSISTENT).

@B0B23
Good point....maybe I can take a moment, unpack/rename the other BFFs needed and place into the public folder for y'all. BFFs such as HRDFpersistent and the various physics BFFs. Then, you can go through them and grab what you need. I'll get something uploaded later today.

@B0B23
Good point....maybe I can take a moment, unpack/rename the other BFFs needed and place into the public folder for y'all. BFFs such as HRDFpersistent and the various physics BFFs. Then, you can go through them and grab what you need. I'll get something uploaded later today.
Thanks a lot guys

For those looking for some unpacked and sorted files from the game....
I've broken things up into 3 uploads in my public folder...
"Pcars_common_vehicles_textures_Patch10.3" - all "common" textures from the game

"Pcars_vehicleHRliveries_BFF_unpacked_Patch10.3" - all high resolution liveries from the game

"Pcars_Main_BFFs_Unpacked_Sorted_Patch10.3" - practically everything from root folder of pakfiles, plus most of Dir pakfiles, and 64bit HRDFpersistent

Link to public folder.... https://www.mediafire.com/folder/cy3jl6679k7i1/Public_for_PCARS

I didn't do any vehicle BFFs, but many are available through mods by Crowtrobot. Also, the vehicle BFFs are fairly simple to work with.

Last edited:
For those looking for some unpacked and sorted files from the game....
I've broken things up into 3 uploads in my public folder...
"Pcars_common_vehicles_textures_Patch10.3" - all "common" textures from the game

"Pcars_vehicleHRliveries_BFF_unpacked_Patch10.3" - all high resolution liveries from the game

"Pcars_Main_BFFs_Unpacked_Sorted_Patch10.3" - practically everything from root folder of pakfiles, plus most of Dir pakfiles, and 64bit HRDFpersistent

Link to public folder.... https://www.mediafire.com/folder/cy3jl6679k7i1/Public_for_PCARS

I didn't do any vehicle BFFs, but many are available through mods by Crowtrobot. Also, the vehicle BFFs are fairly simple to work with.
Much appreciated

Hey Doug, do you know what's causing cloned cars to have problems loading? I had a few cars working fine pre-10.0 but since this new support has come in I haven't managed to get a single one to work. I've noticed that the game will not load physics files if the chassis/engine etc is not the same name as the VDF (even if the vdf specifies the name correctly) but I'm also getting a hdtbin load failure and I have no idea why, even when assigning the car (formula C) to its correct tires. Have you noticed any other criteria to get things working or is it a bug?

Also have you had any luck getting custom tires working? I've asked sms directly but it seems they have other stuff on their plate atm

Major kudos for uploading the unpacked bff's by the way, I don't have much use for it myself but it's really interesting browsing through and seeing how everything is organised :D

@Hobbnob
Some people were looking for unpacked files other than vehicle files. If you release a car and want to provide a 32bit version, the unpacked 32bit HRDFpersistent would be of use for you, though.

Tiremod.rg: Something seems broken in the Hard coding. I made a complete tyre set. All "record" entries used new names that began with JDoug_xxxx. So, I had new Carcass, new treads (3 different compounds), new front/rear heating, and the 3 pairs of tyre sets for the car (summer, street-med and track-soft for front and rear). The game hangs when loading to track. Also, no tyre options are available in the setup section of the main menu.
This is what I had in the file for testing purposes (maybe I did something wrong?)....
Code:
# Road tire. Roughly 245/35 for cars around 1500kg
RECORD JDoug-Road-245-35 FRC-R1-Template
    load_stiffness                    0.80e5
    load_stiffness_per_pressure        1.00
    profile                            35
    long_center_stiffness              "10.0e5 1.0e4"
    sidewall                        "4.9e5 5.5e3 4.9e5 1.0"
    tread                            "4.9e5 4.9e5 4.7e5"
    layer                            "4.0e6 3.0e6"
    carcass_heating                    0.3
    long_flex_bite                    1.3
    inflation_shape                    "200000.0 270000.0 320000.0"

RECORD street_JDoug_V1 STREET_R_COMPOUND
    Cdef_lofreq "0.5 4.0 0.001 1.0"
    Cdef "0.70 0.001"
    Cadh "0.50 25.0"
    Ctear 0.33
    channel_coverage 0.35
    Ctack "0.55 0.55 1.0"
    Cwear 1.8e-10
    temp_ideal "95.0 30.0"
    temp_falloff "0.001 0.001 0.001 0.003"
    temp_limit "100.0 75.0"
    seta_scale "1.0 0.65"

RECORD street_JDoug_V2 STREET_R_COMPOUND
    Cdef_lofreq "0.5 4.0 0.001 1.0"
    Cdef "0.70 0.001"
    Cadh "0.50 25.0"
    Ctear 0.33
    channel_coverage 0.35
    Ctack "0.55 0.55 1.0"
    Cwear 1.8e-10
    temp_ideal "95.0 30.0"
    temp_falloff "0.001 0.001 0.001 0.003"
    temp_limit "100.0 75.0"
    seta_scale "1.0 0.65"

RECORD JDoug_GT3_V3 INTERMEDIATE_GT3
    Cwear 4.0e-10
    temp_limit "105.0 60.0"
    seta_scale "1.0 0.75"
    flash "3.0e-5 0.85 0.0"
    #wear_overflow    0.08

RECORD JDoug_front_heat heat_network
    model "HeatModelI.Network"
    carcass_to_air    20.0
    air_to_air            "10.0 10.0"
    brake_to_air        50.0
    rim_to_air            10.0

RECORD JDoug_rear_heat heat_network
    model "HeatModelI.Network"
    carcass_to_air    20.0
    air_to_air            "10.0 5.0"
    brake_to_air        50.0
    rim_to_air            10.0

RECORD JDoug_Summer seta_tire
    name "JDoug All Weather"
    model "TireI.Seta"
  tags "GT3RS_16, Wet, Street, front, default"
    tread_config street_JDoug_V1
    carcass_config JDoug-Road-245-35
    heat_config JDoug_front_heat

RECORD JDoug_Summer_R seta_tire
    name "JDoug All Weather-Rear"
    model "TireI.Seta"
  tags "GT3RS_16, Wet, Street, rear, default"
    tread_config street_JDoug_V1
    heat_config JDoug_rear_heat

RECORD JDoug_Extreme_Summer seta_tire
    name "JDoug Street-Medium"
    model "TireI.Seta"
  tags "GT3RS_16, Medium, Street, front"
    tread_config street_JDoug_V2

RECORD JDoug_Extreme_Summer_R seta_tire
    name "JDoug Street-Medium-Rear"
    model "TireI.Seta"
  tags "GT3RS_16, Medium, Street, rear"
    tread_config street_JDoug_V2

RECORD JDoug_Track seta_tire
    name "JDoug Track-Soft"
    model "TireI.Seta"
  tags "GT3RS_16, Soft, Street, front"
    tread_config JDoug_GT3_V3

RECORD JDoug_Track_R seta_tire
    name "JDoug Track-Soft-Rear"
    model "TireI.Seta"
  tags "GT3RS_16, Soft, Street, rear"
    tread_config JDoug_GT3_V3
Clone cars: The RT35/RT35S mod we released are examples of the new way of cloning cars. Basically, everything is unpacked into its' own folder and consistent naming is used for all files. I started by unpacking RUF RGT8 exterior and cockpit. Made a vehicle folder named "RUF_RT35 and tossed all of the files in. Then renamed all of the files from "RUF_RGT8" to "RUF_RT35". I wanted a clean look to the files so I even renamed the materials to RUF_RT35. I opened each meb with a hex editor and searched for the text "Vehicle", then edited the folder and filenames to reflect the vehicle folder and material names. For the physics files, they were named to match the folder and file naming used for mebs, materials, CRD and other pertinent files.
Should you continue to have problems with the clone/copied cars, you can send you project car to me via p.m. and I'll look things over.

Latest News

What's needed for simracing in 2024?

• More games, period

• Better graphics/visuals

• Advanced physics and handling

• More cars and tracks

• AI improvements

• AI engineering

• Cross-platform play

• New game Modes

• Other, post your idea

Results are only viewable after voting.