Paul Jeffrey

Premium
The Crew 2 Announcement.jpg

Ubisoft have today revealed a sequel to the best selling open world driving game 'The Crew' is in the works, however details are scant on the new release at this moment in time.

The original title received much initial criticism from both fans and industry insiders alike, however with an aggressive development strategy behind the game many were soon won over by this visually impressive and content rich racing / driving game.

Eventually surpassing over 12 million online users, the original Crew game eventually proved to be a highly competent piece of software that was perhaps unfairly treated by many of the racing game community.

Previously run as an always online multiplayer experience across an open world map of the United States, the new title is expected to follow on from the 2014 release whilst expanding upon the core features of the original title.

Despite the little announcement image on the Ubisoft forums, the team were quick to jump out of the blocks and confirm development of the original title isn't quite finished yet. Forum user and Community Representative Ubi-MoshiMoshi said in his post following the reveal:

"Hi Guys, Please rest assured that this announcement does not mean the end of support for The Crew 1. We will continue to provide support for all players of The Crew 1 in the long run - new community events, new challenges and rewards!"

So what can we expect from the new sequel, and will the game live up to the hopes and expectations of the large user base of fans? Well, only time will tell....

The Crew 2 looks set to be a large scale open world driving game from Ivory Tower and Ubisoft Reflections. Release is expected around March 2018.
Please note the below images are taken from the original The Crew title.
The Crew 2 Announcement 2.jpg
The Crew 2 Announcement 3.jpg
The Crew 2 Announcement 4.jpg
The Crew 2 Announcement 5.jpg

For more news and discussions around the upcoming The Crew 2, head over to the 'Other Racing Games' sub forum here at RaceDepartment and join in with your fellow community members as we await more news of the game.

Are you interested in 'The Crew' game franchise? Did you try the original title, and if so what are your impressions? What would you like the new game to include and does a game of this nature have a place in the racing game marketplace? Let us know in the comments section below!

Last edited:
I think the crew graphics are mind blowing good ,
Really really quality , Cars look insane and the amount of animation on them is incredible ,
Tracks are massive ,
Can not understand why so many people dislike this game ,
I would love to make some cars for this game ,
I just love the sheer amount of details these guys are proven for ,
Great work :thumbsup:

I actually quite enjoy The Crew. But I really hate that the game advertises its new DLCs right on my face every mile I drive. Ubisoft has the tradition of ruining good concepts but fixing issues on the sequel. I'm looking forward to seeing what they will give us.

BTW if the sequel is still set in the US, I wish the world map to be much larger. Driving from Chicago to Kansas in a blink of an eye breaks the immersion way too much for me.

Always online is a straight up no-buy for me.

I did get to play the first one for free though. It was alright, but I'm not willing to spend money on a game that I can't use when my internet goes out.

Last edited:
The map and the driving randomly around was the better part of the first game for me, it was a relaxing thing to do.
Ultimately what turned me away, was the limited car set, and the limited additions of drip fed dlc's. It was a game of so little choice, and a reluctant dev team that were constrained by ubisofts business model.
Hard to see the crew 2 being any different. If the devs had free reign beyond ubi's call and the community could submit to the game with mods, then it would be totally worth a sequel that differs from the first.

The first Crew was horrible to drive with a wheel and the force feedback was horrible. If they can fix that and have more options in PvP, I may buy when it's half price on steam.

I played The Crew but the driving physics were not so good compared to Forza Horizon 3.
Graphics wise, it was a good looking game and I enjoyed the single player story.
Had an issue playing online

I got the first one for free thanks to Ubi's anniversary program last year, and it was worth every penny.

Jokes aside, its my current mindless driving around game. It replaced Driver: San Francisco in that respect. The driving - with gamepad - is great, the environments are great. The historic/notable sites is a very cool concept. Its very easy to play for 45 minutes longer than you intended because you go one more mile, do one more challenge, one more site. I'm only about 20% in to. I was on the fence about buying TDU:2 for this reason but find the Crew a great option. Always online sucks (it causes frame rate hitches), the ads for the overpriced DLC is annoying, the story is ridiculous (but not more so than a AAA blockbuster movie), but all in all, a package that does not deserve to be ripped wholesale, especially by people who've never played it.

I love being able to "travel" America in smaller scale. I may consider buying Crew 2 IF (BIIIG IF) they give you an offline only option and if you can span continental Europe! That would be a blast to go form Monaco to Munich, Barcelona to Brussels, Rome to Reims!

The Crew 2 Trailer 3.jpg

Ubisoft have confirmed 'The Crew 2' will release Q1 2018, and have released a new trailer of this interesting new racing title.

Designed and built by big budget development studio Ubisoft, the imaginatively titled The Crew 2 looks set to be visually spectacular and diverse open world arcade racing title for both console and PC platforms. Making use of vehicles on both road, sea and air, The Crew 2 looks likely to be a considerable expansion over the initially troubled and latterly rather popular Crew game.

Released as part of the 2017 Gamescom video game event, The Crew 2 has been pretty much flown under the radar since its announcement back in May. With pre-orders now open for the standard (£44.99), Delux (£54.99) and Gold (£74.99) editions of the game and the hype train starting to begin over at Gamescom, more details have emerged about this curious arcade racer.

Set in American open world environment 'Motornation', and using a wide variety of land, sea and air vehicles alongside one or two real world racing locations thrown in to boot, The Crew 2 visually and content wise certainly looks up to the task of taking on both its predecessor and rival arcade racing games such as Need for Speed and the recently confirmed World Of Speed, throwing into the mix an interesting mash up of different driving / flying models and expansive storyline modes, this could well be one of the surprise hits of 2018 when it launches on Xbox One, PlayStation 4 and PC March next year.

The developers claim the new title will offer "action-packed playground built within an entire open world America and designed for all motorsports. From coast to coast, four motorsports families gather: Street Racing, Off-Road, Pro Racing, and Freestyle. Join them in high-octane contests and put your skills to the test in each family’s set of disciplines, featuring all kinds of cars, bikes, boats, and planes" whilst allowing players to "seamlessly" switch between the different driving modes within the title.

You can pre-order The Crew 2 from the Ubisoft Store now.

The Crew 2 will be available for Xbox One, PlayStation 4 and PC on March 16th 2018.

The Crew 2 Trailer 2.jpg
The Crew 2 Trailer.jpg
The Crew 2 Trailer 4.jpg

For more news and discussions around the upcoming The Crew 2, head over to the 'Other Racing Games' sub forum here at RaceDepartment and join in with your fellow community members as we await more news of the game.

Like the look of The Crew 2? Would you consider purchasing the game once it releases next year? Enjoyed the trailer? Let us know your opinions below!

Last edited:

Latest News

What's needed for simracing in 2024?

• More games, period

• Better graphics/visuals

• Advanced physics and handling

• More cars and tracks

• AI improvements

• AI engineering

• Cross-platform play

• New game Modes

• Other, post your idea