Need For Speed: SHIFT & SHIFT 2 Unleashed

don't forget to download the Online Pass, its free on Xbox Live Store.
I tried it last night. It will take some getting used to the handling model as it feels squishy to me compared to Grid. It may take some fiddling with the wheel to make it work.

don't forget to download the Online Pass, its free on Xbox Live Store.
I tried it last night. It will take some getting used to the handling model as it feels squishy to me compared to Grid. It may take some fiddling with the wheel to make it work.[/ QUOTE]

Actually Michael, it's going to take some knowledge of how to tune correctly to cure about 60% of it, which is why I think non-Fanatec users will be ok. I can help you there if you need, since many of mine are saved.

Yeah, count me in Robert. As for where to get it I picked it up from Amazon for about 7 quid over here. It can be downloaded direct on the 360 for £14.99 I think too.

Good info! I would avoid the online pas pass because of a couple of reasons. One, you will not need it for the league, and two, it may cause conflicts with DLC vs. non-DLC connections re: car class. But go for it if you have the cash. If Mike was talking about the "unlock all cars DLC" then I think that's a necessity @ $9. You can't be taking forever to level up. You will need some expensive cars.

A helpful review...

Physics, Force Feedback & AI

With the praise for graphics and sounds out of the way, let’s get to the most important part – The driving experience.

Shift 2 Unleashed is putting buyers through a hard test as the first 30 minutes you´ll spend with the title will be the most frustrating for sure. That’s not because the game is difficult to begin with but you´ll spend that amount of time (at least) to get your controller configuration right.

Being a multi-platform mass market title, the majority of players will use Shift 2 Unleashed with a gamepad which is a straight forward affair. Getting your wheel to work correctly with the title is another issue as the base settings will leave you disappointed about the physics for sure.

Unfortunately, the title seems to struggle especially with Logitech wheels who require special profiler settings to completely match up with Shift 2. I´ve been using the Thrustmaster T500 RS that, even though Shift 2 Unleashed did not offer a pre-set profile for it, was correctly mapped using one of the other Thrustmaster profiles.

The title offers extensive steering wheel settings that players should take advantage of, I found that the sensitivity and speed sensitivity settings are the most important values to tweak. With the base settings, the constant sliding of Shift 1 was present as the car does not really feel connected to the road.

With a bit of tweaking, Shift 2 Unleashed offers a much better driving experience. PC users can also take advantage of several physics mods, I´ve been getting great results with Jules’ Minimod that improves the handling even more as Jules has changed some of the tire values to completely get rid of the floating and sliding.

These little changes are enough to make driving in Shift 2 Unleashed a pleasant affair as the cars handle both predicable and realistic with correct-feeling weight transfer and suspension reaction to bumps and curbs.

http://www.virtualr.net/need-for-speed-shift-2-unleased-review

I thought I would post a lap around Brands in the GT1 Corvette. A lo of this style reminds me of the pCARS videos I see, but they are not as showy and cartoonist, thank God.

Anyway, that aside, I had always thought that if you could get the feel even close, this would be up there for best all time game on the 360. I had never worked so hard at setup re: wheel and tuning before but I have a fel now that's pretty good. Sure, it's still SIMcade but if you work on the handling like you would tune a car, it becomes a very enjoyable game.And deep too.

I'm, on a Fanatec CSR that's the piece of crap. One motor broke after a year use. So my settings may not be all that useful, but for Fanatec users and others maybe, you might find something useful. The crap wheel even feels pretty good here, but it could be the game atmosphere too.

In game settings (sorry I didn't copy the ID but just go down the line and figure it out)
I have no FFB setting in Game.

settings upon request

Last edited:
@Robert Waddell I'll see if i can pick it up locally, but can't make a race this Saturday. It's my wife's birthday this week and we are having some people over on Saturday.

I haven't even had a chance to turn on my xbox since before christmas... :(

No problem. I hope things get more relaxed there. I think you will like Shift2. I downloaded it no hassle. M/S wheel users seem to because they geared toward it, as Peter found, I think.

I still need to do a fair bit more of testing to get the feel right. I will try your numbers, Robert, thanks. I'm not sure if I can make a race this Saturday, as I've planned my weekends around the GRIDARC schedule, LoL. But anytime you're on Robert I'd love to try the online racing.

No problem Mike. You are the Oval man. Railer, Pete, and I have the Road, Street, and track duties. Run all four ovals, excluding the "M" one...Japanese or something. It's fake and way too short and narrow.

We just need to get a good NASCAR car for these races. You can have a short track and a long track one if you want. Or you can just give us the builds and choices, but they all need to be dead equal.

A stable one, can be fast, not a racing car unless it's a stock car, but I don't see any. You can fool around with the builds all you want. Impala, Camry, and Fusion would be nice but I don't see them.

Well they have the Camaro and Challenger, which they run in the Nationwide (now Xfinity) Series. Possibly we can do something with those. I am a little concerned that you have to pause the race at the start to get Force Feedback. I noticed that on just about every race I started. Just something with this game. But I tried your settings and some on the Fanatec Fan site and ended up somewhere in between running 540' wheel lock and rotation. It feels pretty decent with a moderately tuned car, but I'm still off your times at some of the tracks.

I am a little concerned that you have to pause the race at the start to get Force Feedback. I noticed that on just about every race I started. Just something with this game.

It's not the game. Welcome to the wonderful world of Fanatec. You have many more surprises in store, unfortunately. I have not heard this complaint from any other users, but I have the exact same problem. Thank God the settings feel good (actually better than I remember). Let's remind each other to do this if we get this league off the ground.

No problem. I hope things get more relaxed there. I think you will like Shift2. I downloaded it no hassle. M/S wheel users seem to because they geared toward it, as Peter found, I think.
I should have this game later this week. Buying used from a local used game/music franchise. They have a bunch of stores in Ontario and have all their stock online. You order and they ship to your local store so you can pick it up. I imagine i'll have it by Thursday or so,.

That sounds great Karl. I hope you like it. If I recall you are on an M/S wheel and they seem to be the best suited for this game. @Railer Cantrell and @Peter Hooper have no problem, and they have the same. You may want to ask what their settings are, but I tink the game is configured for those wheels. The Fanatec wheel, ironically, takes a shitload of work to get right, on each car.

I'll get on this next time I'm on... I did manage to get my Brands time in the Zonda R up last night although was half a second slower than the one the previous night in the tune test session. I wish you could check peoples times out in each car at each track rather than just their quickest overall.

Shift2 International GT Series
2008-chevrolet-corvette-c6-r.jpg
This league is designed to run on either Saturdays or Sundays, every week, depending on when time allows the series creators to host. Times will not conflict with the separately run GRID: Atosport league if at all possible. We will take the fastest cars and put them on the fastest tracks, including many tracks that are unavailable in any other game on the xbox 360.

This league will be based from the game "Shift2: Unleashed" and will feature road course, street, and oval racing in fixed cars (no upgrades for GT cars on non-oval tracks). A very deep tuning section may be used to your heart's content, and the game's biggest flaws (handling and proper tuning) will be completely addressed.

For great base tunes, controller and wheel settings, and , go here (except for ovals, which will be published before the race):
http://www.gtplanet.net/forum/threads/renown-tuning-unleashed-™.196236/

The oval races will have a non-GT1/2 car type that can be upgraded to the top of "C" class. You pick the upgrades. This is to encourage different lines and braking points and creativity on an oval, so pedal to the metal racing will not usually be possible. Ovals will be rolling start, random order.

Cars:
Ovals:
Dodge Challenger Concept (upgrade to any build within "C" class; no nitrous, works or turbo)
Chevy Camaro SS (upgrade to any build within "C" class; no nitrous, works or turbo)
Ford Sheby Cobra Mustang (upgrade to any build within "C" class; no nitrous, works or turbo)

Street and Road Courses:
Any GT3 Car (fixed build, A Class, no upgrades available)
Any GT1 Car (fixed build, A Class, no upgrades available)

The game is very inexpensive, around six quid. To participate you should download the DLC that unlocks ALL of the cars (not cars and tracks, but that's cheap too). It's very inexpensive, about six quid, and worth every penny. This can be avoided by buying the cars with game cash.

1. The first race will be in time attack mode with the Hardest A.I. filling out the field. The time will be set to "long" which is about 8-10 minutes on most tracks. Standing start and no restarts. The A.I. will not be included in the standings, but they are "part of the track" so to speak, so contact with them is never faulted. The finishing order of this race is the lineup, in order of finish) for the next race. Full points for this race.

2. The second race will be a standing start with a parade lap so that wheels can be fixed and we can get in the proper order from the first race. No A.I. The number of laps will equal approximately 40-45 minutes in race time. Points will be as explained below with no points in either race for pole or fastest lap.

Points System

Points: 1-25; 2-18; 3-15; 4-12; 5-10; 6-8; 7-6; 8-4; 9-2; 10-1
(Each Race scores points)

ALL RACES WILL BE ANNOUNCED IN THIS THREAD, WHICH WILL SERVE AS A CATCH ALL FOR THIS SERIES.

Notice: The Following rules will be enforced, regardless of protest or request, upon review of every race by the Race Director or Race Steward, as his discretion. If neither can agree, a third party will break the tie. Penalties issues include nothing, repremands (private), warning (public), driver position changes for the race reviewed, penalty additions to drivers victimized, penalty deductions for faulted drivers, additions or deductions to points in the overall standings, suspension, and exclusion from the series.
(Based in Rules Promulgated by IMSA)
ON-TRACK PROTOCOL
48.1. PASSING. It is the responsibility of both the overtaking Driver and the Driver being overtaken to assure safe overtaking. Where two Cars are reasonably alongside each other, each must permit
the other Racing room. A Car traveling alone may use the full width of the racetrack. Overtaking
may be either right or left depending on prevailing conditions.
48.2. BLOCKING. Any Driver who, in the sole opinion of the Race Director, moves in reaction, altering their line based on the actions of pursuing Competitors, or who selects a defensive line and then returns to a racing line between corners or sections of the racetrack may be warned or penalized, and such decision shall be Conclusive.
48.3. INCIDENTS. Any Driver who, in the sole opinion of the Race Director, is responsible for: an
incident where a Car spins, or goes off-track, or suffers a flat tire or other mechanical difficulty
requiring it to pit directly for repairs, or an incident of contact resulting in a change of position,
48.4. UNJUSTIFIABLE RISK. Any Competitor who, in the sole opinion of the Race Director, engages in any behavior deemed to represent an unjustifiable risk or reckless endangerment may be warned or penalized pursuant to Art. 60 of the RULES, and such decision shall be Conclusive.
48.5. CONDUCT.
48.5.1. Disabled Cars. During an Event, if a Car is involved in an incident and/or is stopped on or
near the Racing surface and unable to continue to make forward progress, unless
extenuating emergency conditions exist with the Car (i.e. fire, smoke in cockpit, etc.), the

*** In additions, these rules are added to and supplemented by the general Virtual Racing Rule promugated by this website and found here.

NOTE:
- The game will not allow pit stops
- Damage will be “full”
- Collisions will be “on”
- Tuning will be allowed.
- No assists; helmet or cockpit view only.

So come on and sign up and pass the time until the glut of new games arrives on the next gen systems.

Schedule:
1. February 7 - Willow Springs GP (GT1)

2. February 21 - Laguna Seca GP (GT3)

3. March 7 - London Town GP (GT3)

4. March 21 - Hazyview Oval (night)

5. April 4 - Zolder GP (GT1)

6. April 11 - Dakota Tri-Oval (day)

7. April 18 - Dijon-Prenois GP (GT1)

8. May 2 - Miami Bayside Run (GT3)

9. May 16 - Rustle Creek Oval (dusk)

Last edited:

Latest News