Need For Speed: SHIFT & SHIFT 2 Unleashed

Hi everyone ! Happy new year !

I'm back here since a long time ! This time i'm gonna present you a mod that I work on for S2U that's about "sound tweaking".

What I'm trying to do is make a more realistic approach of engine sound by tweaking their sound. Actually this is a really early stage of the mod and I just acheive to rebalance quite nicely the car sounds. The tranny whine that everyone complains about has been reduced by more than 75%.

Here is what it sounds like : http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FDwgOvt9az0&list=UUp16JXBGcKqmdzTV4VPUcYQ&index=1

But this is just a start ! I'd like to make way more ! To retweak the whole sound on onboard cams to have more silent cars ( like BMW , Lexus ). And also remove the backfires from the stock cars !

What I'd like to do is quite hard and I didn't find any way to do it for the moment. But i'm making here a call to anyone that could ( would ) help me to make those things work !

Actually I'm still enjoying the game thanks to Brrupsz that made the PTMu mod. You can see it in action on my youtube channel :

http://www.youtube.com/user/NickEvers?feature=mhee

Hope to see some answers ! :p

This may have been asked before, so apologies if it has.....

I really like Shift 2 for it's Sim-cade style and enjoy having a blast in the cars around the tracks... despite the arcade floatyness...

but since changing my controllers from G27 to Thurstmaster T500/TH8RS, I can no longer play as it will not give me the option to map the gears manually... the shifter can be mapped to other functions, so the game engine sees it... but the option to map to gears R-1-2-3-4-5-6-7 is not there!

Is there a mod available out there to help with this, or any proven way to fool the game engine into displaying the options and allowing the individual mapping/bindings for after market USB based shifters?

Any help would be appreciated.

icon1.gif

Real sound engine: Maserati GranTurismo S

G27 Settings (PC ONLY!!)

After a few days of trial and seeing what others have posted in many forums, I have found probably the best settings for this game. There is no steering lag and the game just feels 1000% better when using the G27 wheel.

Logitech Profiler:
Use Special Force Feedback Settings - checked
Overall Effects Strength - 100
Spring Effect Strength - 0
Damper Effect Strength - 0
Enable Centering Spring - unchecked and at 0
Use Special Steering Wheel Settings - unchecked but degree of rotation at 540
Use Special Game Settings - unchecked
Allow Game To Adjust Settings - unchecked

In-Game Settings:
Difficulty - Hard
Handling Mode - Elite
Logitech G27 Racing Wheel-Separate Pedals
Gears - Manual
Force Feedback Strength - 100
Steering Deadzone - 0
Steering Sensitivity - 50
Throttle Deadzone - 0
Throttle Sensitivity - 100
Brake Deadzone - 0
Brake Sensitivity - 100
Clutch Deadzone - 0
Clutch Sensitivity - 50
Speed Sensitivity - 0
Speed Sensitivity (Drift) - 60
Steering Lock - 540
Steering Lock (Drift) - 300

This will surely make your game experience much more enjoyable with this wheel.

PC Specs:
Asus P5KSE MB
Intel Core 2 Quad QX9650 OC'ed to 3.4Ghz
EVGA GeForce GTX460 1GB EE
8 GB RAM

Edit: Latest S2U Patch and NO mods installed

Very interesting, but do you think can be good for the DFGT too?

Here is my new version:

Quick driving guide for my setup advice:
========================
Tip the car into the corner hard with it's nose pointing well inside the apex and the loss of traction makes the car drift out to the apex so you don't cut the corner even through the car was pointing well inside the apex.

Steer the car with the rear wheels. Less grip = more turn. Use opposite lock to stop it spinning but you can drift a car with the wheel centered.

Also use brakes to rescue the car from a spin situation but you will probably stop the rear wheels spinning and thus the drift will be a poor one (not very side ways and not much tire smoke).

Good drift cars:
=========
Retro Cool Volvo Amazon
Retro Max Corvette
Production Viper
GT Sport Corvette, Viper, M3.
Ferrari F430 Mod
WTCC87 class.
This modded BMW E46: http://www.nogripracing.com/details.php?filenr=33761
Caterham 260\320
Radicals (but they need close attention to my setup notes).

Setup
====

Brake balance:
Normal but if you are having difficulty loosing rear traction then try 48 front 52 rear and lock up the rears on entry then gas it but be careful you don't confuse sliding a car with drifting. Check for tire smoke in the replay. Lack of rear tire smoke = you are sliding not drifting.

Steering Lock;
High. Some people have it maximum so a wheel becomes like a game pad. I prefer to have it just a big higher than normal.

Rear Wing
Minimum.

Front Wing (the splitter on closed wheel racing cars):
Very high

Front ride height:
Normal. Don't upset the car on bumps unless you want to deliberately use a bump to loose more traction (difficult).

Front suspension:
Normal race setup. Maybe a bit softer than usual.

Rear suspension:
Maximum ride height. Softest springs. Lowest rebound. Normal bump.

Diff Lock:
Start at 95% and work your way down until you stop crashing but don't go lower than 40% otherwise your rear wheels won't spin.
100% diff lock = no differential (like a low end kart (both driving wheels spinning together at the same speed)).

Coast:
Start at 5% and work your way up until you stop crashing but don't go higher than 30%.
0% coast = you have disabled the 'off throttle' differential (both driving wheels turn at the same speed causing the car to slide into a corner).

TIP: At Vara try 5% coast in a front wheel drive WTCC06\07 car. This has nothing to do with drifting but helps you understand coast.

Toe:
Plenty of -'ve toe at the front.
Start with a dash of -'ve toe at the back and work your way up to zero until you stop crashing. Some cars may need a dash of +'ve toe at the back.

Gearing:
Gear the car so that you have plenty of torque from the apex to the exit.

Camber:
If you have too much rear grip pick out the corners you want to drift. If there are more left than right then have have zero camber on the left.

You shouldn't have to install origin, its not an origin game. I have a Steam copy and it automatically downloaded all the DLC packs.

But that's GTR Evo.

Camber as low (slider to the left) as possible especially on front.

Lowering diff in drift mode won't do much.

Swaybars... depends... for road cars (without or with minor upgrades) the understeer set-up is a good starting point (high front swaybars, low front swaybars) - once you're sideways there is no "understeer" anyway.

Thanks for that Kazumi. I now realize that once the car is drifting it is extremely unlikely that front tires will stop drifting before the rears. Sorry I did notice this was a shift2 thread. I had done a search on drift and not noticed.

Don't worry most things will work in other sims I guess (depends on the mod)

However Shift 2 got some adjustments in the drift mode events. While those allow for high angle drifts (akin to D1 or other competitive drift events) if makes drift driving (which indeed can be fun :) ) a pain.

So, after having bought S2U on release day for PS3 I've finally bought it on Origin as well. It's way better than the PS3 version (no input lag \o/). Yet, I've never played it using the "Hard" + "Elite" settings and won by 5 seconds in BRNO (Audi R8, GT3 Opponents (same class)). Anything I can do to make it harder? Also, any mods I really need to install? Touring Cars are what I'm interested in, so modding the street cars won't help me much. :)

Also, does anyone have good all purpose setups for the GT1 / GT3 cars? I don't want to change it all the time. :)

Latest News

What would be the ideal raceday for you to join our Club Races?

• Monday

Votes: 18 12.2%
  • Tuesday

Votes: 16 10.9%
  • Wednesday

• Thursday

• Friday

Votes: 53 36.1%
  • Saturday

Votes: 86 58.5%