MGP23 MotoGP 23 Modding Tutorial

Mods for MotoGP 23 | Milestone
This tutorial will teach you how to both install and create mods for MotoGP 23. Both processes differ a bit from previous years so I urge you to read this carefully, even if you have modded the previous entries.

Different tutorials will be split up over different messages on the thread due to the limitations on how many images can be on one post.

This first one will focus on enabling mods to work and actually installing them.

Make Sure You Check Out The "Enable Mods" Section Before Creating Any Mods!!

Video Tutorial:

If you have followed the installing mods tutorial from earlier in the thread, you have already done this so you can skip this section.

Text Tutorial:

This is a new addition to the tutorials for this year, the game has some check that doesn't allow our mods to load without doing this.

- Go to your steam library.
- Right click MotoGP 23.
- Click "Properties".
- You'll now be presented with a window that looks like this:
1711573803967.png

- At the bottom, where it says "Launch Options" type "-fileopenlog"
- It should now look like this:
1711573791797.png

Now you can close this window and mods should work in your game.

Last edited:
This post focusses on how to create bike skins. I know some of you will want to do more but it's a good way to get used to the tools and the processes.

Again, Make Sure You Check Out The "Enable Mods" Section From The Previous Post Before Creating Any Mods. Otherwise They Won't Work In Game!!!

Before you do anything, you'll first need to get the tools that you'll be using throughout the tutorial.

Text Tutorial:
You'll need to download 4 things:
These can be downloaded here: https://www.racedepartment.com/downloads/motogp-23-mod-repacking-tools.61858/

Once you have that file downloaded, extract it somewhere that you can easily find as you'll need it later.
Next you'll need a program called UE Viewer (formerly known as Umodel): https://www.gildor.org/en/projects/umodel

Similarly to the repacking tools, extract this file to an easy to find place as you'll need to run the program shortly.
Next you'll need to install Unreal Engine Editor Version 4.27:

That page has a video showing you how to install Unreal Engine, you will want to select version 4.27 from the drop down.
The final thing you want to install is Python 2.7:

If you have any other versions of Python already installed, I recommend uninstalling them as it may cause issues later when we come to repack.
Now that you've got the tools you'll need from the first part we can get into the modding!!

Text Tutorial:
First of all I'll start by showing you how to edit a bike skin as it's fairly simple, but the process is the same for pretty much any texture in the game so afterwards you can try with something else.

Section 1: Export
- Open Umodel (This will be located where you extracted it earlier).
- Copy and paste the path to MotoGP 23 game directory into the text box (Normally it is: "C:\Program Files (x86)\Steam\steamapps\common\MotoGP™23" ).
- Don't try to navigate to it as it will remove everything after the "™" and you wont see any files, just copy the path directly into the text box.
- Select "Override Game Detection".
- Select "Unreal Engine 4" And "Unreal Engine 4.27".
1711573892856.png

- Then hit "OK".

This is where it differs from previous years as the game files are now encrypted.

- You'll be presented with a window asking for an AES key, that looks like this:
1711573908358.png

- Enter this key: 0x0FB0CC53CE764419501BD0BF3A61DC11EF4FA2066C0FD89B3700F32DE13C05DC
- Now click "Ok".

- You'll now have a window with all the directories of the game.
- Navigate to: "Game\assets\graphics\vehicles\bikes\cat001\chassis\chassis101".
1711574242865.png

If you're unsure of the ID of the bike you want to edit click on textures and then on "livery001.uasset".
This will load the first texture of the bike so you can see if this is the bike you want to edit.
In this case we are using "chassis101", which is the Ducati GP23.

It will display something like this:
1711574041865.png

If you want to return to the previous screen press "O" and it will exit the preview.

- Once you have found the texture you want to edit, click on "Tools->Export current object" and Umodel will export the texture currently being viewed.
-Umodel will automatically create a folder called "UmodelExport" located where Umodel.exe is. (Again this is where you extracted it to earlier).
You can now find the texture (.tga format) and edit it!

Section 2: Import back in game
Part 1: Prepare your modded textures.
Basically we are now going to convert the modded .tga texture to a .uasset (The file format used in Unreal Engine games).
- Launch the Unreal Engine editor.
- Select Games.
1711574545354.png

- Select Blank Project.
1711574559150.png

- Select no starter content, choose a path to save the project to and then you can name it whatever you want. I'm going to call mine "Tutorial".
- Click on Create Project. (Again, create this somewhere you can find later)
1711574467739.png

- Now that the project is created, you need to create the same directory structure as the texture you extracted through Umodel.

In our case this is:
"Content\assets\graphics\vehicles\bikes\cat001\chassis\chassis101\textures".

To create a folder, Right Click and select "New Folder".

Once it is done, it will look like this:
1711574788279.png

- Now drag your modded texture here:
1711574828384.png

- Double Click the texture and change the Texture Group setting to "Project Group 01", this is so the texture doesn't appear blurry in game before loading fully.
1711574854598.png

- Now you can close the texture window to return to the previous screen.
- Click on File->Save all.
- Click on File->Cook content for windows.
Once this has finished, you can now close Unreal Engine.
Part 2: Repack.
In this part of the process, we are taking the files you just cooked and repacking them for the game.

- Now go to the location you saved the Unreal Project earlier.
- From there go to "Saved\Cooked\WindowsNoEditor\ProjectName\Content".

You will see there is a folder called "assets".
- Copy this "assets" folder.

- Next you need to go to the "MotoGP 23 Mod Repacking Tools" folder (This will be wherever you put it earlier).
- From here go to "motogp23\Content".
- Paste the "assets" folder from the previous step.
- Now go back to the “MotoGP 23 Mod Repacking Tools” folder and double click "repack command.bat".

Once it's done (it's quick), you will have a file called "pakchunk1-WindowsNoEditor_X_P.pak". Replace the X with something else, like "pakchunk1-WindowsNoEditor_MyMod_P.pak".

- Finally copy the pak file you created and paste into:
"C:\Program Files (x86)\Steam\steamapps\common\MotoGP™23\motogp23\Content\Paks"
(or wherever you have installed the game).

Make sure you copy it to where all the other pak files are!!
You're done! Check your mod in game.

Last edited:
I made the process perfectly I think, but once UModel loads everything, under the "motogp23" folder I don't see the "Content" folder. I only see "Config" and "Plugins". What can be the problem?

Last edited:
I made the process perfectly I think, but once UModel loads everything, under the "motogp23" folder I don't see the "Content" folder. I only see "Config" and "Plugins". What can be the problem?
When in umodel, the game files are under "Game", rather than "motogp23". You still pack it as motogp23 though

When in umodel, the game files are under "Game", rather than "motogp23". You still pack it as motogp23 though
Thank you! But now, sadly, I have another problem. When I try to launch the Repacking Tool, it ask me how I want to open a .py file. If I select the first thing that he suggest me, I get in a loop. If I select any Python application, the .bat console of the Repacking Tool opens for a few istant, and then it close up without doing aything. What can be the issue here?

Thank you! But now, sadly, I have another problem. When I try to launch the Repacking Tool, it ask me how I want to open a .py file. If I select the first thing that he suggest me, I get in a loop. If I select any Python application, the .bat console of the Repacking Tool opens for a few istant, and then it close up without doing aything. What can be the issue here?
Sounds like you may have multiple python versions installed, make sure only 2.7 is installed

Sounds like you may have multiple python versions installed, make sure only 2.7 is installed
Yes I have only Python 2.7.18. The problem is when I try to launch the Repacking Tool (I put here a photo to show the problem). It ask me how to open the .py file. What program is supposed to open the .py files? I thought about Python or IDLE, but if I choose the first one, when I launch the repacking tool, a console opens and immediately close. If I choose the second, the console opens, close immediately, and a console showing the script of the file opens. What can be the problem? Sadly I'm totaly new to python and its usage
Cattura1.PNG

Yes I have only Python 2.7.18. The problem is when I try to launch the Repacking Tool (I put here a photo to show the problem). It ask me how to open the .py file. What program is supposed to open the .py files? I thought about Python or IDLE, but if I choose the first one, when I launch the repacking tool, a console opens and immediately close. If I choose the second, the console opens, close immediately, and a console showing the script of the file opens. What can be the problem? Sadly I'm totaly new to python and its usage View attachment 679716
I’d say uninstall python and reinstall it, that usually fixes issues like that

Latest News

Are you buying car setups?

• Yes

• No

Results are only viewable after voting.
Back