Is VR dead?

• Thread starter Deleted member 197115
  • Start date

Still on the fence to replace my G2. No 'take my money now!' product out there. Leaning BSB over Crystal. This looks interesting if it can get to Europe for a reasonable cost. Lots of 'what ifs' in this space :(

Not dead IMO, but probably in ICU in an induced coma. No DNR on the notes just yet...

Last edited:
Post-Mortem of Early VR and the Spatial Generation
"younger generations are primed for Spatial Computing"
So many [of those trying to monetize VR] over the past decade
have had perspectives with no relationship to actual use,
much less daily spatial experience, and it has taken an era to unwind.
"Way before the social interactive power of spatial really became obvious to all heavy users, people were obsessed with taking the film industry and converting it into the VR space."

Beat Saber is the “Pong of VR”
https://medium.com/@SpatialBiggs/po...-------331715bd_7f89_449d_8955_59dc18b2540f-1

I am very much looking forward new and improved VR, it's just not happening after all these years of nonstop uphill struggle. And the current market situation looks quite grim.
Same here, not surprised that VR is at best stagnant, as, to me, SIM racing is the only application where VR is of interest. I almost exclusively SIM in VR, have no interest in any title that does not offer VR. Still using my CV1, mostly on AC and ACC but also occasionally with AMS2 and Pcars.

SIM racing with a rig, is a very limited niche market, so, no wonder, it will not support VR growth.

I remain optimistic, but also very realistic, that VR is probably going to stay in a vegetative state, until a wide market application, make it appealing to the masses.

Here is to hoping that AC2, is as well optimized for VR use as SMS engine is. I still prefer VR for ACC, but expect Kunos as learned a lesson, as ACC is not great VR experience, to say the least.

Last edited:
  • Deleted member 197115

Two threads sitting next to each other updated periodically remind me of
1705712200419.png

giphy.gif

Last edited by a moderator:
  • Deleted member 197115

Provocative title for the discussion where people can raise pros and cons and argue (hopefully like adults) over them versus back-patting.

Sony seem to have made the same mistakes they did last time. Maybe even worse this time, what with the headset costing more than the console. Follow this up with a lack of software and seemingly no directection....no wonder people don't want one.

Looking like the VR1 will be the way to go for wider FOV.

He said he's getting 102H with the Crystal lenses he had and these wider FOV lenses gave him 112H and I know he tested at close to 130H with the VR1 earlier.

On top of that he mentioned eye strain and smaller sweet spot and harder to get the headset where he was in the sweet spot, more CA as well.

He also mentioned that in trying out multiple Crystals that they seem to have varying amounts of CA from unit to unit.

Last edited:
Looking like the VR1 will be the way to go for wider FOV.

He said he's getting 102H with the Crystal lenses he had and these wider FOV lenses gave him 112H and I know he tested at close to 130H with the VR1 earlier.

On top of that he mentioned eye strain and smaller sweet spot and harder to get the headset where he was in the sweet spot, more CA as well.

He also mentioned that in trying out multiple Crystals that they seem to have varying amounts of CA from unit to unit.
Pimax should have gone for Almalence instead of these terrible new wide FoV lenses. I'm already sure that I won't like these wide FoV lenses because I returned the Aero because of the bad/low stereo overlap, these new lenses also seem to have that.

Eye strain/CA/worse sweetspot sound like a terrible trade off and a low stereo overlap is maybe what's causing it.

Almalence made a HUGE improvement for the Crystal, but somehow they decided that it's not needed to integrate it. Stupid moves from Pimax, but they don't disclose the real issue behind it (probably an large investment),

The visuals with the 104 FoV (I got 104 measured) glass lenses are the best on the market currently (XR-4 not counted, with 6000 euro I don't consider it as a serious option) even without Almalence but Almalence was/is a must have to make it really perfect to get rid of 90% of the color shifting/CA plus making the sweetspot much larger. So let's hope that Pimax changes it's mind about Almalence because with Almalence the visuals were as good as it could get within the 104 FoV range. More FoV is simply not reachable for Pimax with their current design, that's clear to me now.

Latest News

What is the reason for your passion for sim racing?

• Watching real motorsport

Votes: 537 68.8%
  • Physics and mechanics

Votes: 336 43.0%
  • Competition and adrenaline

Votes: 357 45.7%
  • Practice for real racing

Votes: 178 22.8%
  • Community and simracers

Votes: 210 26.9%
Back