Is VR dead?

• Thread starter Deleted member 197115
  • Start date
  • Deleted member 197115

How unappealing it may sounds to you, but it is literally the subject of this very thread.
If you have different perspective on the current VR market situation, please present it with the facts and stop going after personality, thanks for refraining from name calling this time, btw. Not everyone in this discussion or any discussion is expected to agree with everyone else, respect other people opinions and points of view.

And if my posts really bother you, you know what to do, Ignore function works wonderfully at hiding unwanted content.

Last edited by a moderator:
How unappealing it may sounds to you, but it is literally the subject of this very thread.
If you have different perspective on the current VR market situation, please present it with the facts and stop going after personality, thanks for refraining from name calling this time, btw. Not everyone in this discussion or any discussion is expected to agree with everyone else, respect other people opinions and points of view.

And if my posts really bother you, you know what to do, Ignore function works wonderfully at hiding unwanted content.
I agree with you for 50% as I stated. I also see mass adoption of VR as "not going to happen".

But this IS racedepartment so this thread was about VR dying within the racing sim's, maybe that was not your intention, but that's my interpretation for obvious reason:

This is not some general forum; this is racedepartment; that's what you're clearly missing here. Maybe you seem to forget that, but this is about sim racing/race games and within the tiny sim racing niche VR is more alive then ever.

I hope that you can follow this because I explained this to you already multiple times... I have nothing against you, sometimes it's quite fun to debate with you I must say.

Last edited:
  • Deleted member 197115

This is not some general forum; this is racedepartment; that's what you're clearly missing here.
Most if not all of your posts missing that point as well as you seem to assume that this is VR only forum. When it is dedicated to sim racing, whether it's VR or screen based, each media has its pluses and minuses, people can enjoy monitor based racing as well, even transition from VR back to screen to get improved visual quality, performance, and focus on racing itself instead of infinite tinkering, rebuilding system, or chasing yet another unicorn headset.

Interjecting into every sim thread on how bad UE is for "sim racing", those "no VR, no buy" nonsense is really getting out of hands. Sometimes it's not all about you and your VR self entitlement.

• Deleted member 197115

And back to the topic of discussion, some quick facts from article posted earlier.

Data from research firm Circana reveals a significant decline in sales of VR headsets and augmented reality glasses in the U.S., dropping nearly 40% to $664 million by November 25, 2023. This decline is more pronounced than the previous year, where sales experienced a 2% decrease, totaling $1.1 billion.
Despite the company’s efforts, there hasn’t been a breakout success or a “killer app” that validates Zuckerberg’s metaverse vision. The Company’s Reality Labs unit, responsible for VR and AR technologies, reported a loss of $3.7 billion in the third quarter on sales of $210 million. Since the beginning of 2022, the division has incurred losses totaling about $25 billion.

Most if not all of your posts missing that point as well as you seem to assume that this is VR only forum. When it is dedicated to sim racing, whether it's VR or screen based, each media has its pluses and minuses, people can enjoy monitor based racing as well, even transition from VR back to screen to get improved visual quality, performance, and focus on racing itself instead of infinite tinkering, rebuilding system, or chasing yet another unicorn headset.

Interjecting into every sim thread on how bad UE is for "sim racing", those "no VR, no buy" nonsense is really getting out of hands. Sometimes it's not all about you and your VR self entitlement.
Now again: what do you have against VR sim racers in general? Explain it to us. Because it's clear that our opinions aggravates you.

You created this thread on an sim racing forum. So you fueled this discussion by yourself.

Almost all VR users agree with me about the Unreal Engine, no need to fight against our opinion. We are allowed to discuss this and to show our disappointments about a another UE implementation everytime we want. If you feel that you need to fight against it each single time: go ahead. Just (at least try to) respect other peoples opinions. Stating that the opinion of other people is always "nonsense" tell me something about your character.

And back to the topic of discussion, some quick facts from article posted earlier.
You already posted this. Why post it again? I was already clear the first time I think, it has nothing to do with the adoption of VR in sim racing.

It's about the mass market: again this is a (sim) racing forum. Do you understand that? Besides more frequent usage of Unreal Engine, everything around VR looks really positive/promising for sim racers. We're all having a blast in VR.

Last edited:
  • Deleted member 197115

Can I kindly ask you stop posting your personal attacks and questioning each my post in my own thread.
Thanks in advance

Can I kindly ask you stop posting your personal attacks and questioning each my post in my own thread.
Thanks in advance
You're taking it personal. It's not personal. In my opinion you're simply wrong by applying general VR statistics to the VR adoption of sim racers. I'm allowed to share my opinion about that here. "my own thread" it's not something you own. Racedepartment is all about the community. We discuss thing here and you started indeed the discussion.

Last edited:
  • Deleted member 197115

Almost all VR users agree with me about the Unreal Engine, no need to fight against our opinion. We are allowed to discuss this and to show our disappointments about a another UE implementation everytime we want. If you feel that you need to fight against it each single time: go ahead. Just (at least try to) respect other peoples opinions. Stating that the opinion of other people is always "nonsense" tell me something about your character.
There is a difference between presenting opinion of VR user and claiming that UE in general is bad for "sim racing". These two things are not the same. UE works wonderfully and looks gorgeous on monitor for anyone using anything better than a toaster as their system.

Anyway if you have something on the subject, please feel free to contribute to the discussion, if it's just another ad hominem attack, you will receive no additional responses as a blocked user.

There is a difference between presenting opinion of VR user and claiming that UE in general is bad for "sim racing". These two things are not the same. UE works wonderfully and looks gorgeous on monitor for anyone using something better than toaster as their system.
Well that's an OPINION, it's not a FACT. Opinions can differ from person to person for several reasons. Calling the opinion of someone else "nonsense" because you don't share it, is never a good thing. Just try to respect the opinion of others please.

If you follow the discussion about the new WRC title objectively (an title that doesn't have VR yet) then you can read that the general opinion is that UE doesn't work wonderfully with monitors in all cases and that gives me concerns as an VR user. Of course we are allowed to discuss this. Why not, I don't understand why you don't let us have a different opinion then you?

Last edited:
  • Deleted member 197115

Good bye :sick:

My Crystal Pimax was returned to me today after Pimax had not released it from China customs. I had already my full refund from PayPal and now I’m having a free Crystal Pimax headset.
The return trip was very very long.. almost 3 months because it was returned via sea mailing . I thought it was even lost and I said who cares I already got my full refund but yesterday I got the notification from my local post office that o have a package from China .
I picked it up and I was surprised that the package was intact.
Today I gave it a try … I’m surprised that the installation went so smooth even the firmware update was smooth.
I calibrated auto IPD and eye tracking. Back in July it was pain in the ass setting the software and updating the firmware for 5 times because every time it was freezing. You can see that Pimax has improved a lot the software side .
I fired up rf2 and just wowww..
The image quality and clarity of the Crystal so just another level compared to the quest 3. … the colors to are very vibrant. It runs even very smooth at 90fps at full setting and SS-110%.
Too bad the comfort is still really awful. with my comfort Apache strap it’s better but I can’t use this headset more than 30 min.
It’s really a shame that all this image beauty and clarity is ruined but this Bulky case .
I’m selling it tomorrow with a big discount . I’m keeping my quest 3 waiting to the next Index 2 .
Nice sale pitch

• Deleted member 197115

Another one bites the dust.

Firewall Ultra developer First Contact Entertainment has shut down after eight years. The studio cites the general lack of virtual reality support in the video games industry as the main reason.

In a Facebook post before Christmas, First Contact Entertainment said that it would close its doors by the end of 2023. "The lack of support for VR within the industry has eventually taken its toll," the studio said. "As a AAA VR game developer, we are just not able to justify the expense needed gouging forward. We are a team of fearless innovators willing to push new technologies to its limits."

• Deleted member 197115

THIS is the future. :thumbsup:

More info

TLDW: not
  • speculation that Valve may release something (standalone headset?)
  • standalone (Quest 3) owners accessing PC VR content (e.g. via Virtual Desktop)
  • VR mods of PC games, including praydog's UEVR injector

Last edited:

Latest News

What is the reason for your passion for sim racing?

• Watching real motorsport

Votes: 540 68.9%
  • Physics and mechanics

Votes: 338 43.1%
  • Competition and adrenaline

Votes: 359 45.8%
  • Practice for real racing

Votes: 179 22.8%
  • Community and simracers

Votes: 211 26.9%
Back