What to buy? Fanatec CSW or T500RS

I'm thinking to buy CSW base with the gt2 rim and the v2 pedals, I'm actualy between this and the T500 RS, but I have found reports for bad reliability on fanatec products but there are all 1 year ago. Is there any new feedback on this? Have they fixed the problems or they are still there?

Well I do believe in the freedom of speech and if I think someone is modding just for the sake of modding I am entitled to say so.

It will be interesting to see if Mr Eric's mods will stand the test of time.

It's also my opinion that i think it's pretty stupid that you think it's ludicrous that I think Mr Eric is modding just for the sake of modding.

It's not ludicrous, it's very common in the online world. I find it surprising or discouraging that apparently so many don't realize this or most commonly choose to ignore it. Personally I pulled out of that thread and am just sticking with DIY mods and research into sim wheels (which was how the thread started before it was re-purposed), a primarily intellectual pursuit for the most part.

So far I have looked into 5 different areas involving how sim hardware aspects can affect sim lap times by affecting car control. So i wrote a thread about car control noting FFB linearity and wheel drag factors covering area number 1. Sadly that thread is pretty derailed, however the issue I've highlighted remains. Some of the variations of my mods have the wheel so low in drag and high in output that it 5 or 6 clacks if you wheelcheck it using the step test. Pulse 1 clack to the physical end stop in one direction, 450º. Pulse 2 clacks against the opposite stop 900º away. Pulse 3, back to the first stop, 900º. Pulse 4, 5, 6 are unpowered coast down clacks where the wheel glides back and forth gradually slowing down as it pinballs back and forth off the stops. Most of that is some loss at the stops which have some drag but this does not affect use since if you keep running into a hard stop 450º from center while racing you have some major situation going on at the time lol.

I'll do four more topics as time allows. Next up concerns wheel speed. I keep finding that some things don't jive with presently accepted wisdom. So there is more on-track speed to be found, it appears.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
You don´t need to ship the wheel away if it´s the fan. Thrustmaster can send you the new one and you can install it yourself. Or you could possible get an own fan and put on it. I have a floorstand fan I just put on the side on hot days. Cools both me and the wheel lol.

What smelt burn is probably the dampening mat that is between the engine and the casing. That was what burned on mine anyway before I replaced the fan. Is your fan mounted on the top vent it should be replaced...

I have to send the tx wheel away. I returned the t500. Still feels like a toy to me. They refunded it no questions asked as I've spent close to $10000 in the last year alone. I don't like the shaft play between both wheels. You can pull the wheel in and out about 5mm but only dead centre. Lock to lock is tight.

Anyways I've purchased the csw without having tested one so I am a bit nervous. The one thing I have learnt from all the forums I've been on is never buy from a reseller. I was tempted to because they could get it to me within a day whereas fanatec will send it when they get around to it. I purchased my csps through a reseller though as fanatec was going to be a couple of months.

All done now just have to wait and see.

Upvote 0
On a side note this forum is great. The only other forum I use is inside sim racing and hardly anybody writes back half the time. I used their reviews To purchases as well and I was a bit sceptical with the fanatec csw review. Especially the part about the 320mm wheel being to big.

Now I am use to a big wheel to race and to drift. I'm use to a 350mm rim. When I started using my tx with the gte wheel it was a lot to get use to. It was way too small for me. I think they are 290mm. And I think it's from coming from real racing to sim racing. I couldn't imagine catching a 100kph slide with a 290mm wheel. Ain't gunna happen. It's the same with shoes. A lot of people sim race with bare feet or socks. I have to wear shoes because it's what I'm use to. I have a pair of puma drift cats just for inside the house.

Also when I used my real wheels with the tx the ffb felt a lot weaker and also felt I was putting more strain on the wheel. I honestly hope this fanatec wheel is good. If not eBay it goes lol.

Upvote 0
oh it´s for sure going to ebay then. Sounds like you need a leo bodnar or similar wheel. CSW and T500RS is consumer wheels priced so the mere mortals could buy.

As for rim size that is very personal and it depend on what cars you drive too. Actually I think it´s easier to catch slides with smaller rims as you can rotate faster but then I just can´t be as precise. It´s easier to hold the car at the limit with a bigger rim size I feel. I came from the sim world so was used to the small size. When I got my 320 mm I really find it very cumbersome for rallying and to some extent still do but by this time I started to preferr that so I got a 350 mm and now I use a 365 mm. But I think I will stop there lol.

It´s mostly jus something to get used for. The problem with the CSW is that you are locked to Fanatecs wheels so 320 mm is the max you can go currently.

Upvote 0
I have to disagree on that @Pär Öqvist The CSW are more firm in feel than T500RS I have tried that once - not a bad wheel but CSW are more firm.
@Koston82 just remember to attach the screw that follows the CSW (not the plastic one) and and the wheel will show no loose feeling anywhere. I have had no problems with my setup so far going +1½ year now :)

Upvote 0
T500RS have stronger FFB but maybe you mean firm in another sentence as in the CSW is smoother perhaps? That is one thing I liked about the bigger rims on the T500RS. Yes you get more leverage and thus the perceived torque is less but it make it much smoother then using the smaller rims.

Still these are consumer wheels compared to the real deal we need direct drive and servo motors and no belts and junk if you are not going to feel you downgrade that is why I believe Koston will not be satisfied for long with the CSW even if he would preferr it overall hopefully :)

Upvote 0
T500RS have stronger FFB but maybe you mean firm in another sentence as in the CSW is smoother perhaps?
I think what he was referring to is the fact that the Thrustmaster wheels had a wee bit of wiggle in them, as in you can physically whiggle the wheel back and forth a few mm. At least that is how I interpreted @Koston82 's complaint. I've read the same before and that the CSW has none of this, but you'l have to take my word for it cos I really cba looking for sources.

Upvote 0
If your trying to catch a slide when your car has lost a bit of traction then sure a smaller rim works. But when your drifting and are all crossed up you need that big wheel.

I think when they judge the stronger ffb with the t500rs it is based on rim size. Like I said I noticed the difference when I put bigger wheels on it went down a big way. I'm still going to keep my tx wheel regardless, just have to wait a couple of weeks to come back.

Also my csw is sent. Should get it tomorrow.

Upvote 0
Okay I don´t have that play but I am using aftermarket rims so it´s maybe something with the plastic stock rims? They are not up to the standards of aftermarket or the Fanatec rims.

As for ffb rim size doesn´t effect this only weight of the rims do but just like in a real car a smaller rim feels heavier then a bigger rim due to the better leverage you get. If you want heavy steering from your CSW you should use the F1 rim rather then the 320 mm rim. It´s quite a bit lighter which make the CSW measure better too then the BMW rim.

Upvote 0
Guys, any mods are to try to make improvements to the wheel. It's not like we're sticking fuzzy dice on the wheel rim here. Why on earth anyone would "mod for the sake of modding" is beyond me. RacerX yanked all his posts out of the original thread I started on GTP because he was upset that people wanted to hear about my work rather than his, if you ask me. I offered to remove any posts from that thread having anything to do with sales or customers and was given a resounding response of "leave them here" by everyone else. RacerX got mad and deleted all of his posts in the entire thread and decided to start what amounts to a duplicate thread. Who's acting like a child here? He was called out in that duplicate thread for the childish behavior and not one person considered his behavior normal. Hell, I practically had a cheerleading squad through PM and email. In point of fact, one of the reasons I didn't start a new thread is because I didn't want my mods highly "advertised" if you will. I don't have any desire to make a business out of this. I'm just helping the guys who need it. But I'm obviously not going to donate my time either. Anyone who has followed that thread could easily copy what I've done on their own wheels. And that's fine with me.

Anyone modding their CSW or Elite is free to post in that thread, and I keep pretty much any stuff from people wanting to buy anything in PM. I never really intended to sell anything at all - but right from the start I had people PMing and emailing about doing work for them and selling them parts. I can't work full time since on some days I can barely sit upright or stand it hurts so much. On the days I can, pardon the hell out of me for trying to help a few guys out.

If you don't think the mod work in that thread is useful or beneficial, and is "modding for modding's sake," try PMing any of the guys who are using the mods. Or put up a post in the GTP thread asking them to PM you. Anything else is simply speculation.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
I'm not so sure if you're joking in a way that pokes fun at his behavior or if you're making a sly comment about my apparent autocorrect faux pas. The "RacerX" I intended to refer to is the same RacerXX that posted the first reply on this page.

Upvote 0
Ah. Yes, that's correct. I thought that was apparent when I said, "RacerX yanked all his posts out of the original thread I started on GTP" but perhaps it slipped by some readers due to walloftext effect.

Upvote 0
I think what he was referring to is the fact that the Thrustmaster wheels had a wee bit of wiggle in them, as in you can physically whiggle the wheel back and forth a few mm. At least that is how I interpreted @Koston82 's complaint. I've read the same before and that the CSW has none of this, but you'l have to take my word for it cos I really cba looking for sources.

Yes that is what I was talking about.

Upvote 0

Latest News

What's needed for simracing in 2024?

• More games, period

• Better graphics/visuals

• Advanced physics and handling

• More cars and tracks

• AI improvements

• AI engineering

• Cross-platform play

• New game Modes