Volvo - The Game

What copy protection

Just to be safe, what copy protection does this have? I'm not asking how to break it, just to know what is it (starforce/securom)?

Tried searching the interwebs but didn't find anything.

Thanks.

Nothing at all as far as i know. Simbin haven't been using copy protection (other than steam) since GTR2 i believe. They only used starforce on GTR and GT Legends, GTR2 was something different.

I do understand where you are coming from, Trackmania Nations had starforce in it at one point i believe.

Volvo - The Game: Statistics

Incoming mail from Simbin:

More than 50,000 downloads in two days of Volvo Cars' and SimBin's recently released PC racer Volvo - The Game. The number of visits on Volvo Cars website increased with 50 percent compared to the daily average on the release day and more than 5 million search results in Google for Volvo - The Game also show some of the great interest.

In addition an increasing amount of players are testing their driving skills in two global competitions. Through 'Global competition' - available on www.volvocars.com/game - are players invited to compete with their best lap time against other players across the world.
Two days after the game was released more than 1,200 were already competing.

The competition is set up as two independent races:
The first runs between 26 May and 9 June, 2009, on the Gothenburg Eco Drive Arena, Sweden matching the STCC race the coming weekend on the real race track where Volvo - The Game can be taken for a test drive in simulators from SimBin.
The second competition will run between 10 and 24 June, 2009 on the Chayka race track.

The player competes with the S60 Concept Car in the competitions and after each lap the player's score will show as well as the position. The number of laps a player can drive is unlimited and some 40 people have so far been running more than 100 laps individually.
The winners in the first competition will be announced 10th June on the billboard at www.volvocars.com/game

Prizes can be found on the Volvo website

the game gets minimized repeatedly

I can't get Volvo - The Game to work. When I run it and the intro movie begins to play it almost instantly gets minimized, throwing me back to desktop. When I alt-tab back to the game it stays maybe 1 sec then tabs back to desktop again.

Any help would be appreciated! :)

Like Ryan I fail to understand why there would be copy protection in a free game, can someone enlighten me?

Because copy protection is there for the technology as well as for the lisence and content (content as in tracks and cars and their data). For example to have copy protection is to prevent modding, prevent backups (=having multiple copies or to burn copies from the install folder to dvd/cd), copying, prevent reverse-engineering the code or content or to just have copy protection to prevent hacking of the copy protection :D etc.

For example GT legends demo had starforce.

Basically I find it extremely annoying and disturbing that the copy protection stays on my computer installed and running even after I uninstall the product it came with. Plus I'd be deeply annoyed if due to a bug or feature of copy protection my computer would restart or have fits every now and then. And the damn thing is usually installed without any permission or notice. As for the ethics of the said companies who make these, it is not even unheard of that they release separate "uninstallers" for these copy protectors which in fact don't even remove the stuff they are supposed to. Dealing with such companies with such policies I have found it just lot easier to avoid the stuff that comes with those things even if it means I have to not buy/try some titles I'd like to.

Latest News

What's needed for simracing in 2024?

• More games, period

• Better graphics/visuals

• Advanced physics and handling

• More cars and tracks

• AI improvements

• AI engineering

• Cross-platform play

• New game Modes

• Other, post your idea

Results are only viewable after voting.