The International Manufacturers Championship '67

Note the missing chrome bar in the grille...

grille_bar_1.jpg

Targa Florio

grille_bar_2.jpg

Brands Hatch

grille_bar_3.jpg

I usually don't strive for this kind of detail but it was such an easy and fun task, I couldn't resist!

I thought it could be fun to post a pic of one car from each of the 56 different car models for the next 56 days.

Note that my improvements and modifications to the cars are more or less WIP.

Continuing with the Frogeye which most likely will be the slowest car in the game...

67068.jpg

Smith/Turner • Austin-Healey Sprite Mk I • Sebring 12 Hours of Endurance

Imagine racing this car in the game together with Major Billy Turner for 12 actual hours at Sebring and looking more in the rear view mirrors than forward. :)

67058SEa.jpg

Baird/Enever/Poole • Austin-Healey Sprite Mk IV • Sebring 12 Hours of Endurance

This was a works entry and "Built as a prototype while retaining the standard-shape bodywork, LNX 629E was raced with a special XSP 1293cc dry-sump competition engine, five speed-gearbox and wire wheels".

67058SEb.jpg

The sad state of the car some 10 years ago but I managed to snatch the registration plate for the game car...

67058SEc.jpg

Did you give it a 13.2 gal right-side fuel tank? Though the dates of the sale don't necessarily line up with the dates of the Targa. Near the end of the thread there's also a good pic of a Sebring Mini with a large fuel tank.

Your skin is missing competition numbers?
1707670150263.png

1707670304612.png

Last edited:
I actually read that thread yesterday and think it's a typo by the topic starter regarding the date of the sale; "was bought from Prince Paul Metternich in Feb. 1967" should be "was bought by ...".

Will add the larger fuel tank when I start working on modifying the P&G car physics.

As for missing competition numbers: "Note that my improvements and modifications to the cars are more or less WIP".

67196b.jpg

The Prince leaning on the car in the Targa pits

NART.jpg

The car was entered by N.A.R.T. (North American Racing Team) which was a big private team that usually raced Ferraris, hence the prancing horse in their logo. For the 1967 Le Mans race, they also had the "White Elephant" (Ferrari 365 P2) and a Ferrari 412 P, with the latter being driven by top drivers Pedro Rodriguez and Giancarlo Baghetti that was only half a second slower than the best placed works Ferrari 330 P4 in qualy. In fact, when I did the performance physics for the 412 P, I had to swap in the more powerful Tipo 237 engine used by the P4s as there is no way Rodriguez could have set that time using the regular 412 P Tipo 241 engine on a track like Le Mans. So, my guess is that the car was actually equipped with the more powerful engine for Le Mans although it was never officially announced.

67025.jpg

67001.jpg

Spence/Hill • Chaparral 2F Chevrolet • Grand Prix de Spa

I would say that the Chaparral 2F was overall the fastest car over a lap during the 1967 championship with the following qualifying results for the eight races: 2-2-1-1-x-1-2-3 (x = Targa Florio, which didn't have any qualifying). However, the car's reliability was really poor and it only finished one race; the BOAC 500 at Brands Hatch with a win. The great handling and speed as well as the poor reliability will of course also be present in the game. And again, a fairly good player will be able to match the Chaparral AI drivers' authentic 1967 lap times for all eight races if trying hard enough.

View attachment 730525
Spence/Hill • Chaparral 2F Chevrolet • Grand Prix de Spa

I would say that the Chaparral 2F was overall the fastest car over a lap during the 1967 championship with the following qualifying results for the eight races: 2-2-1-1-x-1-2-3 (x = Targa Florio, which didn't have any qualifying). However, the car's reliability was really poor and it only finished one race; the BOAC 500 at Brands Hatch with a win. The great handling and speed as well as the poor reliability will of course also be present in the game. And again, a fairly good player will be able to match the Chaparral AI drivers' authentic 1967 lap times for all eight races if trying hard enough.
Fun fact: during the Monza 1000 Kilometres, before the start of the race the orders were that Amon had to start the #3 Ferrari. Bandini refused because, he said, "we need to prove that we are faster than the Chaparral. It's going to break down, but if it does while they are in the lead, everyone will say that only reliability are holding them back and that they are faster than us. We need to prove they are not."
So he started, pushed and overtook the Chaparral... before it did break down :D

Latest News

What's needed for simracing in 2024?

• More games, period

• Better graphics/visuals

• Advanced physics and handling

• More cars and tracks

• AI improvements

• AI engineering

• Cross-platform play

• New game Modes

• Other, post your idea