RDRC S6 Round 1 - Rally Norway (15-18th March)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Spin and tree love in SS2 and 4.

Lost 30 seconds overall. Roll and CFH in SS6 and spin in SS7.

Spin in SS9 and a Quadruple barrel roll in the Power stage for style.

You could say that is one of the worst rallies I have done and you would be right. Maybe I will be more focused and back to my normal pace and consistency by round 2.

Best of luck everyone,

- Oscar.

It was just before the start of SS5 ;)
I'm sorry for the ranting but you cannot even begin to imagine how frustrating it was... Got home from work early to do recce, skipped dinner to be able to do the rally, tried to drive safely to gain experience with the car and get familiar with RBR again, and now that... If I had a kitten I could have strangled it on the spot because of how frustrated I was.

It was awesome!!

Coming on the last stage, I was 3 seconds in front of Oscar, and 4.6 behind @Viesturs Priede (going off the times). I also knew that with the same stagetime that I did on the first run on Autiovaara, that I would beat Viesturs with just over 4 seconds. So I needed to push hard.
I was 2 up on the first sector, but I never knew it at the time, so I decided to do one last gamble, put two wheels on the inside to take a corner flat.
Not realizing the snow was covering a small hole, and I rolled, and needed a call for help.

Speedwise I had the speed to beat Viesturs, and probably fighting for a top position in RDRC-2 overall as well, not only the Gr.A cup! But with no practice, I made a few little mistakes, and had 2 CFH. Also had to run the second trip on Karlstad, no higher than 2000rpm due to breaking the gearbox on the first Sikakama-run.
Also got FWD for some reason the last half of the first run through Mustaselka.

Anyway, a very very fun start to the season! :)

Not a good start for me.
First half went ok, slow but steady. the only problems were a couple of spins with going into the snow banks.
Second half killed it, ss08- got my approach to the jump wrong and ended in the trees, in a hurry to continue I hit a tree and killed the engine. I can't believe that you get a 16 minute penalty on a 1.9 km stage:speechless:
ss09- CFH as I missed one of the bridges near the start.
ss10- did not load, just cut back to the RS Centre.
ss12- went wide hit a rock and the oil light was flashing, got to about 30% of the stage and the engine died, again:poop:

Here's hoping round 2 goes a bit better for me.
Thanks to RD for the rally:thumbsup:

Okay, loltastic rally run. Saki wasn't that happy though, she said there's a kink in the road(not being kinky, mind you) which I missed, slamming the brakes and running head-on into a bush. Locked in 3rd gear, no forward motion.

I also managed to miss a bridge and take a bath. It was ice cold. Also:

il_340x270.493398320_crcj.jpg

Btw: Can I still submit my replays via email?

My rally in words:

SS01 - Careful start, so easy to end the rally here.

SS02 - Felt pretty quick, and it was pretty quick.
SS03 - That could have been faster, lost control on several occations...
SS04 - Hit a tree in a narrow corner and spun, lost some time and my rythm right there.

SS05 - Faster than on my shakedown, felt okay.
SS06 - Pretty close to my first run through I think. Sideways ain't fast!
SS07 - Safing through as usual.

SS08 - Safing a bit more than usual. Paid off to soe extent.
SS09 - Why the hell does people stand at the exit of corners where the cars are bound to end up if they miss in the corners? DANG! CFH! On top of a false start...
SS10 - Gave it all I got. Not nearly fast enough.

SS11 - Pretty fast that final bit over the finish. 242kph is quite scary.
SS12 - Oh come on, please! Rolled it 4 corners before the finish.

I was going for a top 5 before the rally started. But the way things turned out I'll gladly take a top 10. The snow was not where I expected the most points anyway, the tarmac is where I feel most up to speed.

Sideways can be fun, but it is not very fast in the end.

Positive and happy feeling! :)

ss1: Got stuck at thefirst hairpin and had to reverse. Seems like I am afraid of that corner...

ss2: Realised I had never driven under bad weather, and could barely see through the windscreen. I stuck my head out and stretched it all the way to the front bumper and somehow it was much easier despite all the snow on my face. But somehow it was harder, don't know if it was because i maybe felt some lagging, or had too many snowflakes in my eyes.
ss3: Had to call for help after I rolled, but managed to finish nonetheless.
ss4: Almost best in the A8 class! Ole Marius must have had issues for sure.

ss5: The stage went well, got very close to Tomas.
ss6: Had a really slow impact, then the radiator must have started leaking, lost a few seconds there. Amazingly enough I kept driving normally thanks to the miracle of reduced damage that interceded on my engine already on this first round. Thank you O Lord Jack.
ss7: My dream come true: best A8 car in class!... although I know Ole Marius must have had a problem again.

ss8: Another fulfilled dream: best Portuguese in session - by 0,01 seconds!
ss9: Did not take into account the weather conditions, and the slightly more slippery road caught me; managed to clip the ditch driving off the first bridge and plowed through some spectators there. So I decided to wait exactly 40 seconds to ensure everyone was alright, then I took off again, already without the front bumper. Seems like I wasn't the only one getting problems here though. Had a big save at the long straight with 6-left corners but then on the run down to brake to the 2-right, downshifted to from 5th to 2nd instead of 3rd which caused the wheels to lock and I could not steer it back after it started swinging: hit the barrier and incurred damaged, seems like the the clutch was almost gone.
ss10: Almost rolled, but managed to take it to service despite the clutch problems.

ss11: Went well again, but should have used the long gear box; I hope I don't forget til next season. Erik, you've got some balls, kid.
ss12: Spun halfway through the stage on the tight 3-right, but apart from that I really enjoyed driving the powerstage.

A great start of the season for me, a very clean run (although not perfect). Did not retire any stage (and doubt that I would have, had the damage been set to realistic - probably because I did not hit any trees! So I am very happy with the way it went for me!

Great to have some battles in session, including getting my ass kicked by David in a RWD Porsche sometimes. And had very similar times to @Tomas Reinicke in the A8 class, i am looking forward to battle you all season, man :)

Thanks to the organizers of this championship, I must say I am really enjoying it already, the rule changes in classes, grades and damage were all for the better in my opinion, so thumbs up for everybody involved!! :thumbsup:

Last edited:
It's been a long time since I tried that car: It's just a matter of taking it to the Rally School stage, ditch it at the first bridge hoping it'll land on its roof, and press the gas while in external cam :)

EDIT: I can confirm :D

Last edited:
First competitive run in the new car so I took a rather cautious approach in the opening stages, but despite that I still managed to roll the car on a fast section of SS2 (although without any major damage). After that I gradually got a feel of for the car and pushed a little harder with just a few small mistakes here and there.

Overall I'd say it was a fairly average performance by my standards - neither especially good nor especially bad, but hopefully good enough for some minor class points.

Running in the US4 session today, very excited for the opening round of S6 :)

I got a new wheel last week, so this rally I'm just focussed on driving clean and getting experience with the car and with the wheel, then focus on improving my speed for next rally. Going into this, snow is my weakest surface.

From practice, the car is a pleasure to drive. The default set-up is also very good, I think I changed the brakes and then just the suspension a little bit, and am very comfortable. Also,It's an absolutely stunning livery by Manuel, which you will all see in a few days :p

SS1 - Wheeeeoo, very nearly used my clutch instead of the brake for the first corner. (the joys of a new wheel :p) Went OK, the middle sector was a little bit off, but NTB.
SS2 - Felt very tentative and tense for this stage. I made a wee mistake and slid off the road, but came back on without losing too much time I think. In general, not too happy with this stage, need to relax for SS3.
SS3 - Much better feeling this time, happy with that one.
SS4 - Mostly good feeling through there.
SS5 - Reasonably happy here as well.
SS6 - Pretty good feeling in the second half of this stage. I made a slight mistake straight after the first split when I misheard a pacenote and went off the road, luckily was able to get back on without too much ado. Incidentally, I was one one-hundredth of a second quicker than my first run through.
SS7 - Happy with that one too, goofed up the hairpins a wee-bit, but otherwise pretty good.
SS8 - This stage scares me, it feels so unstable, my car keeps swaying, and I had a bit of lagg. I had a spin at the 90 left, and lost maybe 7 or 8 seconds. Not too happy with this one.
SS9 - Nearly messed up the first corner, a lot less grip than I was expecting. But I got into a good rhythm on this stage, pretty happy with it.
SS10 - Mostly good, pretty happy again.
SS11 - Nope, I don't like this stage at all. The grip is bizarre, my car started oscillating before the jump and slid off the road in a very fast section. I don't really understand it. Managed to get back on, losing about 15 seconds. Horrible stage.
SS12 - OK stage, reasonably happy with pace.

Pretty good rally I think. I came here just wanting to be clean and finish. And to a large extent I did, asides from my issues on Dead Head. I'm not sure how my pace compares overall, but I think the car is good, and I just need practice.

Good luck to all those yet to run.

It was awesome!!

Coming on the last stage, I was 3 seconds in front of Oscar, and 4.6 behind @Viesturs Priede (going off the times). I also knew that with the same stagetime that I did on the first run on Autiovaara, that I would beat Viesturs with just over 4 seconds. So I needed to push hard.

I was wondering.. where did you see those times? Because I would also like to see them when going into the rally so I know whether there is a point to push harder or not on certain stages during the rally. Otherwise its only the guys I have with me on that exact session but you seemed to know my times even though we werent in the same session. What sorcery is this? :p

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest News

Are you buying car setups?

• Yes

• No

Results are only viewable after voting.
Back