Modernizing GTR2 with the Crew Chief GTR2 Enhancements Plugin

Here are my favourite features so far:
  • Manual start of the engine when exiting the garage
This is actually not feeling right due to that the garage guy is waving you away BEFORE you have got the chance to start the engine. It would be great if it was possible to implement the same procedure as at pit stops where the pit guy will not wave you away until you have started the engine, something that is already present in the original GTR2 game.

This is actually not feeling right due to that the garage guy is waving you away BEFORE you have got the chance to start the engine. It would be great if it was possible to implement the same procedure as at pit stops where the pit guy will not wave you away until you have started the engine, something that is already present in the original GTR2 game.
Nice eye for detail. This is not something I can change quickly (if at all). Later this year I plan to try speeding up pit stop so that it can be closer to modern F1 times, I might learn a bit about how to control crew animation, although nice animation would be a plus, the main goal is to get times closer to modern reality.

I have a big issue with getting a CTD when loading the Targa Florio track. I have the GTR2.exe patched with the 4Gb patch and I've also tried to disable the enableMemoryUsageOptimizations option in the CrewChief config file but to no avail. Below are the last few lines in the trace file:

htree.cpp 367: Gaussian elimination for HAT poly failed once
htree.cpp 405: Gaussian elimination for HAT poly failed twice
dynman.cpp 639: Entered DynMan::Init()

Any ideas?

I have a big issue with getting a CTD when loading the Targa Florio track. I have the GTR2.exe patched with the 4Gb patch and I've also tried to disable the enableMemoryUsageOptimizations option in the CrewChief config file but to no avail. Below are the last few lines in the trace file:

htree.cpp 367: Gaussian elimination for HAT poly failed once
htree.cpp 405: Gaussian elimination for HAT poly failed twice
dynman.cpp 639: Entered DynMan::Init()

Any ideas?
See this: https://www.racedepartment.com/downloads/gtr2-targa-florio-optimized.25404/

Yes, what I tried to say with my quote above from the v2.3 description, is that it explains why the original track didn't work.

Last edited:
I decided to clean up, organize, and expand the original post in this thread so it now looks like:
  1. Minimum GTR2
  2. Crew Chief GTR2 Enhancements Plugin
  3. Installation
  4. DXVK
  5. ReShade
  6. More Information
I clarified installing CCGE and added installation steps and tips for DXVK and ReShade

DXVK shows promise for higher performance and cleaner image quality

ReShade is very interesting for some potential to add graphical features (eg. pseudo ambient occlusion) and, particularly for me, some atmospheric lighting

Hopefully the original post is much more helpful now

Last edited:
I decided to clean up, organize, and expand the original post in this thread
  1. Minimum GTR2
  2. Crew Chief GTR2 Enhancements Plugin
  3. Installation
  4. DXVK
  5. ReShade
  6. More Information
I clarified installing CCGE and added installation steps and tips for DXVK and ReShade

DXVK shows promise for higher performance and cleaner image quality

ReShade is very interesting for some potential to add graphical features and (eg. pseudo ambient occlusion) and, particularly for me, atmospheric lighting

Hopefully the original post is much more helpful now
Thanks for your efforts making this more clear. Please note that the reason your dxvk gets stuck in fullscreen, is because you need to not use GTR2Config with it. Please search manual for "sample_scriptrs" and command line video modeswitches, it will all make sense ;) a big plus you won't ever see gtr2config popup again.
Perhaps I should create a .zip that has everything, latest plugin, dxvk, launch scripts. Thinking. Problem is dxvk will not work on some old GPUs.

Last edited:
I have installed Crew Chief, and it works inside game.
But I dont understand how it work in VR mode ?

Make sure you're following the manual's VR section:

I don't have VR, myself. I'm sure TIW will chime in here.

I wanted to thank you all again for the fantastic job done on GTR2.

I am 57 , and this game means a lot to simracers from my generation.
I think that the newcomers to simracing can not really understand. This is a all package of things which are making this game unique.
I purchased the game from day one, after having played the first GTR.
But for some reasons, i never really played it a lot. I was a lot too involved with Grand Prix Legends at that time, and my PC was not really able to handle GTR2 correctly.
But i always love the menu, the simplicité of the all ui , how to start a race, enjoy the night, rain, ...

I decided to reinstall the game some months ago , and of course with a modern pc, direct drive and hq patch it is a new story !
In many aspects, it is superior to many recent titles.
I purchased finally the steam version last week, to take benefit of crew chief plugin.

I have currently some CTD, but the base game works perfectly, so as crew chief
I should apply the hq pqtch hotfix and all will be great.
My problems occurs if i apply totally the hq patch with gtr2-setup.cmd.
One option is leading to ctd, i don´t know which one.
I will solve the thing, no problem.

Currently i have the game running, hq patch and criew chief applied , and it is amazing.
I will have plenty of time to fine tune the game and the crew chief + ffb plugin.

I could also activate my GTL licence in steam, and also reinstall RBR and GPL "correctly".
A lot to do !!!! (Very emotional when i remember all the good moments i had with these sims in the past i must admit)

Then i could run offline the championships !!!!

I am 57 , and this game means a lot to simracers from my generation.
I think that the newcomers to simracing can not really understand. This is a all package of things which are making this game unique.
I purchased the game from day one, after having played the first GTR.
But for some reasons, i never really played it a lot. I was a lot too involved with Grand Prix Legends at that time, and my PC was not really able to handle GTR2 correctly.
But i always love the menu, the simplicité of the all ui , how to start a race, enjoy the night, rain, ...

I always love hearing about how others still enjoy GTR2. There's so much to uncover, have fun!

The hotfix solved my remaining problems with the gtr2.cmd.
Everything is running fine now !

I need to go further with the crew chief.ini and realfeel.ini / ffb, but i can already enjoy the game.

I will let you know when i am totally satisfied with the ffb of my csl dd for my liking ( always subjective of course).

I've been updating how to instructions for GTR2 Enhancements Plugin (Crew Chief and Beta methods), DXVK, and ReShade in the top post

I know it's a bit much to figure it all out so I've been trying to simplify things so it's approachable

You don't have to do it all at once. You can do Crew Chief one day, DXVK another, and ReShade later.

Feedback welcome if you think the instructions can be improved or clarified.

Last edited:
@The Iron Wolf I recently installed RBR through the RSF plugin and I was rather surprised to see that they implemented trigger splitting and FFB emulation for gamepads. I usually have to resort to Xinput Plus for the former and the Masahiko Morii patch for the latter (although this patch doesn't work for me anymore since I got a Xbox Series X controller, the latest one to avoid confusion given MS clever gaming devices nomenclature).

Do you think this is something you could implement in your plugin too by any chance?

Latest News

What's needed for simracing in 2024?

• More games, period

• Better graphics/visuals

• Advanced physics and handling

• More cars and tracks

• AI improvements

• AI engineering

• Cross-platform play

• New game Modes

• Other, post your idea

Results are only viewable after voting.