AMS2 LMDh / GT3 @ Daytona, Thursday 25th January

Automobilista 2 Racing Club event
Yea what a race mate! It was so hard to break the draft and when I had, I kept making small mistakes. And somehow I forgot how to take that chicane :rolleyes::thumbsdown:. Nearly lost it in the pits though, missed my spot and had to reverse twice :roflmao:. I know now what I need to practise. My pace wasn't good after that, lost focus, kept making mistakes, one more lap and it would for sure have been very hard to keep you behind. Had my rear wing on 0 but you had some top speed in that Porsche!
I was on 0-0 wings as well. I did have some more top end (especially in the draft) but the BMW seemed to accelerate a lot better.

Great race, thanks for hosting Scott. Had a blast racing Freak, we traded positions a few times going into T1 and the pace was really close. Lapping was also really top notch, everyone was predictable and didn't move lines.

P.S - Can we hold off smashing into other cars when the race finishes please. Someone smacked into me and my wheel went ape sh*t.
Ah crap, sorry mate that was me :whistling:

20240125222746_1.jpg
20240125222420_1.jpg

Hi all! Thanks for the great racing. Results are up: https://simresults.net/240126-H3x

I'll post the next one either today or tomorrow, but just a quick reminder that we are still doing the old Porsche next week if anyone is interested

Last edited:
I was on 0-0 wings as well. I did have some more top end (especially in the draft) but the BMW seemed to accelerate a lot better.
Had my rear wing on 0 but you had some top speed in that Porsche!
Ah, I was rushing and totally forgot about the wing.... Did it really make a big difference here? I think I got away with it at Road America so it didn't cross my mind.

If it did make a noticeable difference here, can I ask a favour? (not just you two, but anyone else also reading this) If you have had an opportunity to practice and have a quick basic tip on setup that would help some of the more casual racers have a better chance to be closer to the pace, would you mind sharing in the thread? I try to do this myself if I run something I am more familiar with, but I just don't use the GT3 outside these events

Last edited:
Hi all! Thanks for the great racing. Results are up: https://www.racedepartment.com/threads/lmdh-gt3-daytona-thursday-25th-january.267814/

I'll post the next one either today or tomorrow, but just a quick reminder that we are still doing the old Porsche next week if anyone is interested

The results link points to this thread :D

Ah, I was rushing and totally forgot about the wing.... Did it really make a big difference here? I think I got away with it at Road America so it didn't cross my mind.

If it did make a noticeable difference here, can I ask a favour? (not just you two, but anyone else also reading this) If you have had an opportunity to practice and have a quick basic tip on setup that would help some of the more casual racers have a better chance to be closer to the pace, would you mind sharing in the thread? I try to do this myself if I run something I am more familiar with, but I just don't use the GT3 outside these events
Compared to default it was about 10 - 15 kp/h more top speed or probably a good half second on this track for me.
I‘m not a setup pro but I‘ll try to share something later when I get home

Compared to default it was about 10 - 15 kp/h more top speed or probably a good half second on this track for me.
I‘m not a setup pro but I‘ll try to share something later when I get home
It's more of a high level reminder to help a little really. e.g. reduce the wing, halve the diff clutches etc.... just so people are aware that they should try something during practice. On the flip side, if you find default is pretty decent out the box, then that is also a really nice thing to share.

Next week is up!

I love this track. I'm hoping my familiarity with it will make up for my lack of ability with the GT3 :D

It's more of a high level reminder to help a little really. e.g. reduce the wing, halve the diff clutches etc.... just so people are aware that they should try something during practice. On the flip side, if you find default is pretty decent out the box, then that is also a really nice thing to share.
What I usually do is if I'm not set on a certain car I try out all the cars and pick what just feels best to me which the easiest thing to do. I did so with the LMDh, the Caddis default felt best so I went for that one. This time the Porsche felt a bit better to me but I wanted to do the M4 which meant a bit more setup work.
It really depends on the car and track though. Not sure if default is the same for all tracks in AMS2 or specific.
Usually the defaults in AMS2 feel very understeery to me which I don't like at all so I usually decrease the rear wing, stiffen the rear springs, raise the rear ride height a bit and increase the toe (on both front and rear). I pretty much always end up doing that. Usually it's only a few clicks though, not too much.
I tended to use rather high wing settings but recently try to get used to more low downforce settings to not get overrun on the straights. Daytona and Le Mans are a bit of an exception anyway, I went as low as possible (or handable for me). Generally speaking I try to get the car to as neutral as I can in regard to over- / understeer.
This was the first time I played with the diff clutches as the M4 tended to have a loose rear on power a lot and that helped (reduced to 2), but before I never touched that.
Same is for the gears, I usually leave them as they are unless it feels completely off.
Another setting I adjust is the brake ducts and engine cooling, I try to reduce it as much as I feel it's safe, this time I went with 70% engine as it was rather hot and I wasn't sure what this car can handle but I think 50% would have been fine as well.
The brake ducts influence the tire temp in AMS2 so I keep them at least at 50, sometimes more. Depends on the track, temps, etc., this time I had 55 front 35 rear which was ok during daytime and kept the tires at just about 100°. More than that and they die quickly and it get slippery and you start loosing pace.
Speaking of braking, I usually try to put the brake balance to the rear compared to default, maybe around 53:47 for GT3s. Also track dependend, basically as long as I can slam the brakes and the rear stays for all corners its fine.
I use the SimHub overlays as shown below (older screen from rF2 but the same for AMS2). That tire info should be on AMS2 by default anyway but I'm used to that. I keep track of the tire and brake temps there and adjust accordingly. I also try to have the rire pressure right by making sure the temp diff between left middle and right of a tire is about equal.
As a last resort I used to check the suspension histograms, there was a good video of Nils Naujoks explaining it for ACC
In AMS2 I so far have not felt I have to adjust that as the default seemed to be just fine.
For data I have used Motec for rf2 and Z1 Analyzer for AMS2.
I'd happily share some setups but no idea how that works in AMS2. I could also record a few laps so if anyone is into this stuff can compare and get input from that. Do you know if there is any free tool available to get AMS2 data into Motec?

Overlays.JPG

Last edited:
Speaking of braking, I usually try to put the brake balance to the rear compared to default, maybe around 53:47 for GT3s.
Ah, I'll have a play with that. I wasn't sure with an ABS car how to figure out the right balance, but it just felt a little off going into T1 on this track for me.

Do you know if there is any free tool available to get AMS2 data into Motec?
I had to learn python for work, so I wrote a conversion tool in it to learn the language. It's ok, but the wrapper to make it a single executable causes a few issues:

Latest News

What would be the ideal raceday for you to join our Club Races?

• Monday

Votes: 4 10.8%
  • Tuesday

Votes: 3 8.1%
  • Wednesday

• Thursday

• Friday

Votes: 18 48.6%
  • Saturday

Votes: 21 56.8%