Intel 13th Gen CPU's

Bottle neck city sure but closer to real world settings for me ( 3440x1440) max texture ;)

1080p results good for shooters 24" 240-360hz and is big gains to be sure.

Last edited:
I don't closely follow the CPU / GPU scene, so I'm looking for some advice on a new PC for Sim Racing only (Assetto Corsa Competitione) in Triple 4K on 144Hz monitors:

I'm getting the following:

- RTX 4090
- Intel CPU 13th Gen (incl video out to run 4th monitor)
- 32Gb Ram

Outside of above, I don't really know what to get in terms of motherboard, CPU and Ram (eg DDR4 vs DDR5).

My use case is:
- I don't overclock my PC
- While I do upgrade graphics cards when the latest Nvidia one comes out, I don't upgrade motherboards, CPU or RAM. Instead I replace my entire PC every few years.
- On a scale of 1 (potato) to 5 (super-extreme PC), I'm seeking a 4.

One of my questions is if I never plan to upgrade my RAM, then should I just get DDR4?

Do you have any recommendations for motherboard, CPU, Ram and PSU?

Thanks

If you only plan to keep the PC for 2-3 years, I think you would be fine with DDR 4. Most of the memory brands out there are solid (e.g. Corsair, G.Skill, Kingston). Aim for 3600 or 4000MT ram with the lowest Cas Latency you can afford. e.g. CL 16, CL18

At the risk of sounding like an AMD fanboy, I think it's worth while waiting for Nov 3 to see what RDNA3 is going to bring to the GPU market. All rumors are suggesting we're in for a surprise, at least in rasterization performance and power draw. Even if you're not interested in an AMD GPU it could force nvidia to adjust pricing in your favor.

I can't really suggest any motherboard models. I'm not even sure what I want yet. :p

For power supplies I recommend not cheaping out too much. My recent experience includes a Corsair RM750x series (in this PC), and I have a Seasonic Prime GX-750 in my other system. Both brands/models are pretty solid PSUs. For a 4090 you will need at least 850 watt variants. Avoid the budget models at all costs.

Last edited:
I guess if you can choose between your non-tech parents buying you a "media pc" from Aldi/Lidl/Walmart that has some "gaming" on the box or your tech-dad assembling you his well-aged high-end system:
Leftovers are pretty awesome :roflmao:

I'd rather take his leftover 10900k than a new ryzen 3400G lol

Last edited:
Wait, D4-3600 vs D5-6400 are almost identical performance?
Still not sure I'll go AMD route.

Yes however 3D cache overcomes this problem, as it makes expensive tuned ram kits and / or spending hours tuning ram completely meaningless. Thats why it's worth the wait for 7000x3D series. Or if you're already on AM4 to just get a 5800x3D and wait for DDR5 and the AM5 platform to mature.

If you need a workstation CPU however 13900k looks like good value but makes very little sense unless you need all 24 cores tbh. However I'm very impressed with the value of the 13700k and especially the 13600k! Makes the AMD 7600x, 7700x and 7900x all look stupid now. AMD chips all need to be cut in price tbh in the face of this competition. But how long will it take them to realise. If the x3D chips blow Intel away yeah ok prices would make more sense but at the moment they need to match Intel on value.

This video has some serious sync issues :) I genuinely had to take a moment to convince myself he wasn't overdubbing footage recorded with him speaking in a different language :roflmao:
But... interesting content, albeit weirdly bad title for the video. I had somehow not realised that the 12900K and 13700K were so close in spec...

It booted right up without any changes.
Windows required a single reboot to finish "configuration changes", and then it ran.
NewCPU_8690.jpg

NewChip_8683.jpg

Of course they also say that this Win 11 Thread director will work better with the 12th gen as well, so I'm not sure it's doing anything special for the 13th gen.

Last edited:
Of course they also say that this Win 11 Thread director will work better with the 12th gen as well, so I'm not sure it's doing anything special for the 13th gen.

Yes interesting I'm sticking with my Intel Core i9 12900KF does me fine and wait until the 14th gen comes out the end of 2023 then see if its worth the upgrade.
Buy the way I'm running the latest Win11 Pro 22H2 without a issue.

Just watched the video. Interesting to see that Intel are expecting us to be impressed by it.
I basically don't get it - just because I minimise something doesn't mean I want its performance to be entirely crippled. I mean, wtf... more than a factor of two drop* in throughput, because he was proudly showing us how the P cores do absolutely sweet FA. More than half the CPU horsepower, just sitting idle :O_o: - woohoo, go Intel!
Sure, once I've actually *started* a new CPU-intensive foreground task, I would quite likely then be happy if the background processes are getting lower priority but Windows has been able to do precisely that for many years and the only new wrinkle here is that some cores are faster than others.
(*Yes I have no doubt that the performance he illustrated can be switched off, but I just can't see it as a selling point full stop. Any time I start a long-running job, I will often minimise it but yet I'll still want it to complete as soon as possible, while NOT shafting the interactive experience and making everything else janky.)

Just watched the video. Interesting to see that Intel are expecting us to be impressed by it.
I basically don't get it - just because I minimise something doesn't mean I want its performance to be entirely crippled. I mean, wtf... more than a factor of two drop* in throughput, because he was proudly showing us how the P cores do absolutely sweet FA. More than half the CPU horsepower, just sitting idle :O_o: - woohoo, go Intel!
Sure, once I've actually *started* a new CPU-intensive foreground task, I would quite likely then be happy if the background processes are getting lower priority but Windows has been able to do precisely that for many years and the only new wrinkle here is that some cores are faster than others.
(*Yes I have no doubt that the performance he illustrated can be switched off, but I just can't see it as a selling point full stop. Any time I start a long-running job, I will often minimise it but yet I'll still want it to complete as soon as possible, while NOT shafting the interactive experience and making everything else janky.)
Yeah it would be nice to have some manual control, similar to process lasso.
Just add an optional little drop-down menu next to the minimise button where you can select between "shoving it to e-cores" or not.
Would be nice to have a quick and convenient selection to put non-minimised tasks onto the e-cores too!

Like having discord open on a second monitor while having a game running on the other monitor.

Yeah it would be nice to have some manual control, similar to process lasso.

Excellent piece of software, that. Been using the pro version for years: just designate any process as a "high performance" one and/or set CPU affinities that actually stick, and off you go :)

EDIT: not to mention plenty of other features that might come in handy at some point.

Last edited:

Latest News

What would be the ideal raceday for you to join our Club Races?

• Monday

Votes: 14 12.3%
  • Tuesday

Votes: 11 9.6%
  • Wednesday

Votes: 11 9.6%
  • Thursday

Votes: 14 12.3%
  • Friday

Votes: 42 36.8%
  • Saturday

Votes: 65 57.0%