Bram Hengeveld

Site Founder
Staff
Premium
CVG had the following to report about GRID 2. Seems that after many years a sequel is in the making.
Race Driver: GRID released way back in 2008 and people liked it. A lot. So where the bloody hell's the sequel? It's coming, according to the Official Xbox Magazine UK.

The rumours page of the latest issue of OXM gives GRID fans a new reason to be excited. "The GRID team at Codemasters is actively working on GRID 2," says the magazine. "It's likely to arrive after the release of F1 2012."

F1 2012 is expected to hit shops in September, so it's possible Codies could be eyeing a late 2012 release for the currently unannounced sequel.
There have been whispers of a GRID 2 stretching back to 2010, so an announcement is overdue. But with Codemasters having recently made the shift to a dedicated racing development studio, we wouldn't be surprised to hear something more concrete soon.
Source: CVG

I used to love GRID when it first came out, back when I used a gamepad. But since switching to a wheel and pedals set up, I cannot play arcade racers anymore, they just don't feel right using a wheel. Now I just use the proper sims, iRacing, rFactor etc. I must say though that I am looking forward to the completion of project cars, it looks to be a good mix of sim & arcade, let's just hope the physics are up to scratch!

Bram Hengeveld, it's just my opinion... the same it seemed to be just Codemaster's opinion about 5%.
But just look all comments... it's statistically unlikely only 5% loved cockpit view.

hey mate, no worries. you didn't worry me at all. i was just curious as a few people have said p-cars looks better. for me i'd rather have amazing graphics with amazing physics than "out of this world graphics" and good physics lol

thanks for clearing that up mate. you upgrading your pc to cope? maybe i'll race you one days soon ;-)
Well I upgraded my CPU, mobo and ram just after rF2 beta began, but my gfx card needs updating soon. My hd 4870 512mb is not powerful enough.

As for Grid 2 it's not for me, but I wouldn't be surprised if my son wants it!!

Also remember a vital thing:

While Casual Gamers makes your earn the most of money, they simply buy a game only if their Hardcore Gamers friends suggest it!

So if you want to make money from Casual Gamers, you have to make Hardcore Gamers happy!

So even if only 5% of Casual Gamers uses Cockpit view, more than 50% of Hardcore Gamers will be unhappy if you remove such view!
+1

But just look all comments... it's statistically unlikely only 5% loved cockpit view.

No, you're wrong. GRID sold 830,000 copies worldwide [source] and 5% of that would amount to 16,600 players who used cockpit view regularly (mind you the 5% is not about people who love the cockpit view, but rather people who use it on a regular basis).

What you see happening now is that these 16,600 people all team up and plea for Codemasters to implement the feature. The other 788,500 people on the other hand don't speak out because they don't mind that the cockpit view is missing. This creates the false illusion that ''way more than 5% of people use cockpit view on a regular basis''. Even if all of the 16,600 people would speak out at once the 5% figure wouldn't change and Codemasters would still not implement cockpit view. The people in the 5% area (including me) are biased just because we find ourselves in the midst of a sim community who would like to see the feature implemented. Therefore we think that everyone wants this to happen, but it's not the case. It's known as hasty generalization.
Also remember a vital thing:

While Casual Gamers makes your earn the most of money, they simply buy a game only if their Hardcore Gamers friends suggest it!

So if you want to make money from Casual Gamers, you have to make Hardcore Gamers happy!

So even if only 5% of Casual Gamers uses Cockpit view, more than 50% of Hardcore Gamers will be unhappy if you remove such view!

This is simply not true. 'Casual' gamers do not only buy games because their 'hardcore' gamer friends recommend it to them. They see the game being advertised and they like it, so they buy it. Also, the 5% is not taken from only 'casual' gamers, but it's 5% of all the people who played the game, so including the ´hardcore gamers´.

I´m not picking at you mate, I just wanted to put things in perspective :)

Getting rid of cockpit view is fine by me. It's one of the most useless things in racing games/sims.

Unless you have a triple monitor setup, you're pretty limited on screen area...and having most of that area devoted to displaying the inside of your car is just silly. Your focus in a real car is on the road - and in a racing game/sim I prefer to focus on the road & my surroundings as well.

I mean, I guess I could slide my seat waaaaay back and drive with my fingertips so I can take in the glory of the interior of my Ford, but...

In fact in a real race car you will be sitting waaaay back than in a normal car, and therefore you will see the same you see now in cockpit view. I race only iRacing because of that.

It looks to me that you never paid enough attention to FOV adjustment ;)
FOV adjustment works great when you have enough monitors to support it.

I've tinkered with it quite a bit in rFactor, but ultimately it's tough to find the right balance between proper forward view + adequate side view.

I primarily ran the cockpit view in NR2003 and its predecessors, but in most rF mods I run the "TV Cockpit" view. In the Papy sims the cockpit was functional, and didn't really seem to get in the way. I could see everything I needed to see in order to race.

That isn't always the case with rF mods.

Ultimately I use whatever view gives me the best overall experience, and this varies game by game - if something doesn't have a cockpit view I'm not too worried about it.

I think too many sim-racers attach their massive ego to the matter. If they don't have a cockpit view, it lessens their ability to brag about how incredible they are at video game racing. :roflmao:

What I'm saying here is that sim-racers take themselves WAAAAY too seriously, especially considering the fact that they are a very small group of gamers compared to "regular" gamers who will happily buy GRID, DIRT, NFS, etc.

Guess which group brings in more money? Guess which group will be catered to because they bring in more money? Well, there you have it.

We should be happy to get what we do. We should be glad there are companies like ISI, iRacing, etc to give us the more realistic sims we enjoy.

Codemasters has NEVER...I mean NEVER...been a hardcore sim company. Their games have ALWAYS been more game than sim, in spite of some of their PR spin from time to time. I'm okay with that. I'm okay with playing something more casual. It's fun to just jump in and race hard sometimes without having to worry about getting a corner just right. I don't understand why people get angry at Codemasters for not making sims when it's something they've never truly been invested in doing to begin with.

Complaining about a Codemasters title not being "sim" is like yelling at Nintendo because the drift physics in Mario Kart aren't right. Your time and energy could be better spent elsewhere.

I think too many sim-racers attach their massive ego to the matter. If they don't have a cockpit view, it lessens their ability to brag about how incredible they are at video game racing. :roflmao:

What I'm saying here is that sim-racers take themselves WAAAAY too seriously, especially considering the fact that they are a very small group of gamers compared to "regular" gamers who will happily buy GRID, DIRT, NFS, etc.

Guess which group brings in more money? Guess which group will be catered to because they bring in more money? Well, there you have it.

This. I couldn't agree more with what you are saying. That sums it up exactly the way it is. GRID 2 is not and will not be a simulator, it's an arcade (or ''simcade'', if you like..) which is there to have fun with. It doesn't need to be a sim and it shouldn't. Besides.. the only reason we play racing games is because we want to have fun and for me a game doesn't get more fun as soon as it's called a ''sim''. Just because there isn't a cockpit view doesn't mean the game became **** all of a sudden. I'm sure Codemasters' sales of GRID 2 will turn out great and I know I'm going to have lots of fun playing GRID 2. Cockpit or not, we shall meet eachother in the GRID 2 multiplayer lobbies and have some awesome races.

In my opinion, cockpit view is almost useless in anything other than an open wheel car. I always used bonnet view in every driving game, well T-cam in F1 2010 & 2011. However when I got GSC I swtched to cockpit view and as I said, that works ok in an open wheeler but in any other game/car it's no fun since you really don't see much of your surrondings or fellow drivers.

Yes, I know you will now argue "that is how real drivers do it" but tbh, it's nowhere near the same thing as a real driver, in a real car. He (or her ;)) can turn his head and tilt it in all directions, something that is not possible in a game, at least not without some extra hardware and support for it.

This is not a argument for leaving it out of the game, it's just not especially important for me but I understand others who want to go "all in" sts.
Liked the first Grid, it's not a sim but I had some serious fun with it, not sure if I will buy this one but I might. :)
View and 3D interior is one thing but what about driver / head position? With cockpit in most cars the drivers head is well behind the front axle, or even behind the center of both axles. In terms of driving, that position makes sense. Now in bumper / bonnet you're in front or above the front axle (or slightly behind), and exterior view meters behind the rear axle.

T-Cam is almost cockpit view. Bonnet view (not sure if that one is in Grid 2? I hope it will be) can be closer to cockpit position then the common bumper view. Except the ~ central position in most cars of course but that's not really an issue.

Another point how many people who still play Grid use cockpit view? It's never good if you cut features that the fanbase likes. If you can't build features for the fanbase it's likely you can't do that for the masses either. It just looks poor.

I do understand the additional cost and development time though. If that's the main point they should be honest about it.

waaaaaaah! wahhhhh! no cockpit view!

oh well, im sure modders in the community will be able to add it somehow, so I dont see the point of whining.

anyways looking forward to it, GRID 1 was great, the take back from 1 feature (which i do enjoy) isn't gonna kill my experience. Cockpit view isn't for everyone, some prefer it some dont. rFactor is the shelves compared to other sims and games, how bout them apples there.

It seems like they're going the whole 'DiRT Showdown' route, which I'd hoped they wouldn't, but oh well. I mean, if you're a REAL hardcore gamer, you'll have a rig set up so that merely having cameras in the right position would suffice, without the ingame 3D cockpit being there at all, but for the in-betweeners, or the hardcore gamers who simply can't afford a full-on gaming rig, I can totally understand the outcry. You'd think that, at least, they'd offer it as a DLC... I mean, there are whole leagues for online racers that are dedicated to cockpit-view racing and, while I'm not really interested in leagues with such limitations, I can still see the need for having the option there for the choosing. I must say though, if DiRT Showdown is anything to go by, GRID 2 will likely be pretty pants! Showdown, when compared even to DiRT 3, is a really dire game, by all accounts! :(

N.B. I don't see how likely it is that the modding community will be able to add the cockpit view for all vehicles; bearing in mind that it would take a lot of 3D modelling... They're not going to keep all the cars from the first instalment of the game, so we can't just rip the cockpit models from that, can we? We'd have to create our own, and that just breeds inconsistencies. :-/

So apparently CM will be showcasing Grid 2 at the Eurogamer expo on August 29th, and allowing people to play it who are at the event.

They've also released a link on youtube to watch the Grid 2 developer session when it goes up. Let's hope the news is all good this time around :thumbsup:

You can see their full schedule here.

Latest News

What's needed for simracing in 2024?

• More games, period

• Better graphics/visuals

• Advanced physics and handling

• More cars and tracks

• AI improvements

• AI engineering

• Cross-platform play

• New game Modes

• Other, post your idea