You were complaining about the game being in a beta state, claiming it shouldn't have been released. I was merely pointing out that it hasn't actually been released and that as an early access title, being in beta state is to be fully expected. If you consider that pointless and random...
I was one of the 1st people to vote for Assetto Corsa green light in early access and that game when my wheel 1st touched it felt golden and I believe if I am not wrong was 29,99 so almost 40$ early access I have played it ever since, 1000,s of hrs ingame and the sdk, more the sdk but whos counting,

I have nothing bad to say against this game at all, except I can not even drive it with a 2005 xbox 360 controller which is over 13 years old, in which is ridiculous on the pc in 2018 it appears they have not set up any controllers or settings anywhere,

but in saying this, the graphics look like from 2007 and the audio from RF1, I do not mind if it was 2,89 or 28,99, I am not happy sat in the UI and can not drive if its early access or not,
and again you can call me a clown or complain about my feedback to be honest I am not interested,
I bought the game to drive and as of right now I can not do so, I have not drove 1 inch anywhere,
but the UI looks great.

I think the very best people can do at this point is simply to post a bug report for every single issue they find with the software. Hopefully the devs will compile a to do list and work these bugs out in a reasonable priority.
Xbox controller support should be the least any company can do releasing a game on steam, if they do not realize this what to do its mandatory.

I agree about the xbox controller support - it should be without mention as it is the very quickest way to just do a quick performance and function test of a racing sim.

Which xbox controller did you use for testing?

I have used a xbox Elite wireless controller with the wireless USB dongle and it could be mapped with all functions almost normal.

The only issue I could not figure out (with the limited time I spend on trouble shooting) is that with grally the brake and throttle trigger buttuns are mapped to a combined axis resulting in a messy experience.

I guess this could be probably worked around with a controller remapping software but I didn't feel it was worth the time fiddling.

From what little I found trying grally out for half an hour is that as has been mentioned in the thread it is currently a very unfinished beta software with a large number of issues.

I found though also a few interesting points about it that makes me think it could be developed into a rally sim platform for modders.

This reminds me a little bit of the times of the old netkar namie and modded content in some strange way.
I hope something useful comes out of this and people provide bug feedback to the devs so they know what to work on most urgently.

My short list of what needs fixing URGENTLY:

- controller support and controller setup
- sound (engine sounds and lack of effects are really bad)
- a basic set of real mod cars (how about a BMW E30 rally car and a Peugeot 205 rally car) and mod tracks (seeing the Akina mountain mod track was refreshing, I hope there will be more like this) so we are not stuck with the two generic cars (both of which I find absolutely nothing interesting or positive about)
- FFB setup options (it seems some people with different FFB hardware have some real safety issues with grally, FFB options should allow for adjusting certain FFB aspects out of the game + FFB issues as the wheel spinning out of control and ripping your hands off as in the Will Marsh youtube video need IMMEDIATE attention from the devs as these are safety related issues).

Btw, I do not criticise the default copilot sounds at this point.
From what I hear and understand is that quite some effort went into realistic pace notes and a good timing.
I only suggest that at a point in the intermediate future of development the sounds are re-recorded with the voice artist being strapped into a proper, violent motion rig, experiencing real forces to their bodies while performing the audio recording.
The way the sounds are recorded and played at the moment is just not immersive at all as of the lack of realistic voicing for a rally copilot.

THIS is what I have in mind when it comes to good quality copilot sounds:

I will keep grally installed, will follow the development releases and test it from time to time.

Xbox controller support should be the least any company can do releasing a game on steam, if they do not realize this what to do its mandatory.

I'm not questioning your experience or defending the game, it's nothing to do with me but I will try to help.

The strange thing is I just tried setting up the Xbox One controller and it worked first time (can't imagine it's much different from the 360 running via windows but I could be wrong). I had my TX wheel assigned before and had no real trouble switching over.

However the UI does seem to take a few control presses to accept the triggers. Steering on the left stick assigned first time as do any of the usual buttons and shoulder buttons. The D-Pad doesn't appear to work at all.

Assigning the triggers to the Throttle and brake took maybe 10 presses of each to get the full range and assignment to hold. Once fully assigned the graph moves fully up on each press, from -32640 to 32640 in the numbers box. The brake left trigger must not be an inverted axis. The throttle or right trigger must be an inverted axis, they seem to work in opposition to each other, no idea why, just the way it is. Here is an image of my config settings,
g_Rally_24_05_2018_20_50_14.png

So long as you have a handbrake assigned and release it you should be able to get the car moving (and the Devs have now at least added a text box on the loading screen reminding players to press and release the handbrake).

I could be totally wrong of course if the 360 controller is somehow different!

As an aside, it's actually not to bad to play on the Xbox One pad, no rumble or haptics that I could feel but the car control was good enough. The issues with onscreen performance remain of course.

Now I'll just have to message the devs so they know the game keeps loading into Oculus Rift and diverting the sound through the Rift headphones no matter what setting I select in the Config-Visuals menu! Ah the joy of Early access games.

I agree about the xbox controller support - it should be without mention as it is the very quickest way to just do a quick performance and function test of a racing sim.

Which xbox controller did you use for testing?

I have used a xbox Elite wireless controller with the wireless USB dongle and it could be mapped with all functions almost normal.

The only issue I could not figure out (with the limited time I spend on trouble shooting) is that with grally the brake and throttle trigger buttuns are mapped to a combined axis resulting in a messy experience.

I guess this could be probably worked around with a controller remapping software but I didn't feel it was worth the time fiddling.

From what little I found trying grally out for half an hour is that as has been mentioned in the thread it is currently a very unfinished beta software with a large number of issues.

I found though also a few interesting points about it that makes me think it could be developed into a rally sim platform for modders.

This reminds me a little bit of the times of the old netkar namie and modded content in some strange way.
I hope something useful comes out of this and people provide bug feedback to the devs so they know what to work on most urgently.

My short list of what needs fixing URGENTLY:

- controller support and controller setup
- sound (engine sounds and lack of effects are really bad)
- a basic set of real mod cars (how about a BMW E30 rally car and a Peugeot 205 rally car) and mod tracks (seeing the Akina mountain mod track was refreshing, I hope there will be more like this) so we are not stuck with the two generic cars (both of which I find absolutely nothing interesting or positive about)
- FFB setup options (it seems some people with different FFB hardware have some real safety issues with grally, FFB options should allow for adjusting certain FFB aspects out of the game + FFB issues as the wheel spinning out of control and ripping your hands off as in the Will Marsh youtube video need IMMEDIATE attention from the devs as these are safety related issues).

Btw, I do not criticise the default copilot sounds at this point.
From what I hear and understand is that quite some effort went into realistic pace notes and a good timing.
I only suggest that at a point in the intermediate future of development the sounds are re-recorded with the voice artist being strapped into a proper, violent motion rig, experiencing real forces to their bodies while performing the audio recording.
The way the sounds are recorded and played at the moment is just not immersive at all as of the lack of realistic voicing for a rally copilot.

THIS is what I have in mind when it comes to good quality copilot sounds:

I will keep grally installed, will follow the development releases and test it from time to time.
Official xbox 360 controller and usb hub xbox, came as a package only a few months old and not expensive,
the brake and throttle seems to be combined also I can not set gears up and down at all,
I can start the game but can not move anywhere at all, so I am stuck and have no wheel,
but like I say the UI looks great I like the style, but even ingame the audio sounds bad specially in 2018 even the worst AC mods sound better, I hope they improve it looks promising.

Official xbox 360 controller and usb hub xbox, came as a package only a few months old and not expensive,
the brake and throttle seems to be combined also I can not set gears up and down at all,
I can start the game but can not move anywhere at all, so I am stuck and have no wheel,
but like I say the UI looks great I like the style, but even ingame the audio sounds bad specially in 2018 even the worst AC mods sound better, I hope they improve it looks promising.
It sounds like you cannot map the three buttons (gear up / down and hand brake).

You need to press the small round click button (top left) of each of the functions in order to map them.
You may need to try repeatedly in order to map a function.
I mapped gear up to A, down to X and handbrake to RB and they do work.

Here is my controls.ini file (you will find it in your Documents / gRally folder:
Steering is way to linear and feels bad but I didn't fiddle with it any further - at least it may allow you to test.
You may need to just extract the sections of the controls.ini file you need and have to edit it (controller name and possible the button number).

Attachments

• controls.ini
    3.7 KB · Views: 285
I was one of the 1st people to vote for Assetto Corsa green light in early access and that game when my wheel 1st touched it felt golden and I believe if I am not wrong was 29,99 so almost 40$ early access I have played it ever since, 1000,s of hrs ingame and the sdk, more the sdk but whos counting,

I have nothing bad to say against this game at all, except I can not even drive it with a 2005 xbox 360 controller which is over 13 years old, in which is ridiculous on the pc in 2018 it appears they have not set up any controllers or settings anywhere,

but in saying this, the graphics look like from 2007 and the audio from RF1, I do not mind if it was 2,89 or 28,99, I am not happy sat in the UI and can not drive if its early access or not,
and again you can call me a clown or complain about my feedback to be honest I am not interested,
I bought the game to drive and as of right now I can not do so, I have not drove 1 inch anywhere,
but the UI looks great.
Don't forget kunos had released 2 titles previously to AC and one had been in development for 8 years so to compare this to AC at EA stage.

I still think GRally is a huge disappointment. Just don't think that AC companion is a particularly fair one.

There are telemetry files generated in Documents / gRally / Cars / ...

Does anyone know how to read the files (there is a bin, CSV and json file)?

There are telemetry files generated in Documents / gRally / Cars / ...

Does anyone know how to read the files (there is a bin, CSV and json file)?
Open them with text and see how far you get,
not many people know but 99,9% of most files are saved with notepad, it generates any extention you wish, so most likely will open them again, with standard notepad you can save what you want.

I do have some issues while trying to use the 360 controller with the game (trying it out just because of the discussion here), mainly that the axis seem to be mixed up and/or combined, but then again that's seriously the last thing I'd want to do when playing a supposedly fairly hardcore sim. I'd rather use keyboard, to be honest, but maybe that's just me. In any way, I'd personally consider issues with some of the direct drive wheels more important than issues with the Xbox controller in a game like this.

I do have some issues while trying to use the 360 controller with the game (trying it out just because of the discussion here), mainly that the axis seem to be mixed up and/or combined, but then again that's seriously the last thing I'd want to do when playing a supposedly fairly hardcore sim. I'd rather use keyboard, to be honest, but maybe that's just me. In any way, I'd personally consider issues with some of the direct drive wheels more important than issues with the Xbox controller in a game like this.
Why do you disagree that xbox controller should not be mandatory on steam and games ?
I find this really odd, its the ice age of technology in the last 2 decades, and 99.9999% of games support it just fine ?

Why do you disagree that xbox controller should not be mandatory on steam and games ?
Because this isn't a game that is supposed to be played with thumbsticks and triggers. As simple as that. There should probably still be support for it, sure, why not, just to cover all bases, and it should work correctly if implemented (and I fully expect the support in Grally to be fixed, just like I fully expect several other issues being fixed), but the priority of such support is IMO very low. Like I said, given the target audience, I consider issues with direct drive wheels and other custom rigs far more important for a game like this than support for driving a sim using fiddly thumbsticks. I wouldn't expect people using an Xbox controller for Xplane or Flight Simulator (though I am certain there are people like that), why should I expect it to be supported in a supposedly hardcore rally sim? And, more importantly, why should I expect such support to be there working flawlessly in a very first iteration of its early access release? Again, early access games are expected to be buggy and have issues, that's part of the early access deal. Reporting a bug to the devs when encountering it makes absolute sense and it is what you're supposed to do (there's even a bug reporting tool directly in the game), feeling outraged about the bad state of the game and saying it shouldn't have been released because your gamepad doesn't work properly does not.

There is no good reason for ANY game today to lack xinput controller support.
I mean maybe I am stupid most would maybe agree I am but XBOX PAD support personally if I was making a game would be number 1 priority above wheel support, obviously with FFB and stuff that is the main thing, but to ensure controller settings work to get the basics and settings together would be my 1st goal then work on wheels and settings.

I can't get tired being amused by people who complain so much about an early access automotive simulation title lacking good VR or gamepad controller support in its early days.

Look, their controller wheels support is far from perfect at the moment, can't you just give it a rest with the stuff that is not mandatory for a simulation of any kind for now?

Stop saying something that is 8 years in development is "early days" maybe.

The cars models are horrid, the track are brought over from other games, the sounds are rfactor 1 bad, they didn't write the engine, so what exactly did they do to charge money for?

I do not understand why you complaining. They did the best they could in that time they had. If you are at least a little interested in this niche area of rally then you help to improve it and not complaining about it like they took something from you. It is 4€ (means free). Ask refund then buy a beer and piss it out on the next corner if you think is's better alternative.
Why this bashing? It does not help, it makes everyone feel bad.

Latest News

What's needed for simracing in 2024?

• More games, period

• Better graphics/visuals

• Advanced physics and handling

• More cars and tracks

• AI improvements

• AI engineering

• Cross-platform play

• New game Modes

• Other, post your idea

Results are only viewable after voting.