Every Nurburgring Nordschleife on PC compared

iRacing - again, not too far from reality.
cToZnsd.jpg

Project CARS 2 - another case of the trackside scenery being lifted and tweaked from the original Project CARS.
zpGm3M6.jpg

Forza Motorsport 6: Apex - I'm blind!
v0dHALa.jpg

Forza Motorsport 7 - my eyesight returned! The bloom effect on the trees looks much more realistic. The 3D cracks in the track surface seem to have been filled in though.
6y9UUz2.jpg

Real life
CQckABY.jpg

Last edited:
11. Comparing the Karussell:

Monaco Grand Prix Racing Simulation 2 - ignore this one!
gYree8k.jpg

Grand Prix Legends - a basic representation!
oG5l0HX.jpg

GTR Evolution - despite the age of this version, this is one of only a few games to have the drainage grill just before the Karussell, which is there in real-life (although you can't see it in the real life shot below).
rgw9qYA.jpg

Need For Speed: Shift - very close to GTR Evolution. No drain though!
XIe6B7H.jpg

Test Drive: Ferrari Racing Legends - same as Need For Speed: Shift, but feels a bit more detailed, texture-wise.
RJ4esWA.jpg

Shift 2 Unleashed - a refined version of Need For Speed: Shift, one of the few places where the modelling still looks very close to the previous game.
ji5MARy.jpg

Project CARS - surprisingly not that much better than the Need For Speed titles.
tGRqZPk.jpg

Ride 2 - absolutely wrong. Like so much of the track in this game!
Z1w86vk.jpg

Assetto Corsa - the drainage cover returns! Notice the grass growing through the matting on the left.
o9oSA7K.jpg

RaceRoom Racing Experience - so close to Assetto Corsa! Even an almost identical drain!
kkkdkkG.jpg

iRacing - the camera is a little lower here, but the modelling is close to the versions above. No drain though!
4884Sj6.jpg

Project CARS 2 - close to the original Project CARS here. No drain!
AIGUAdh.jpg

Forza Motorsport 6: Apex - something's off here - there's not as much clear tarmac inside the concrete panels, and a lack of a drain! This is strange as it likely uses the same laserscan as the other laserscanned versions.
Oe7SClS.jpg

Forza Motorsport 7 - texturing has changed here: the sponsor boards, the grass on the left no longer grows over the tiles, and looks less fake. Again though, the cracks (up close) look almost 2D now, due to the lighting change.
AGsamj3.jpg

Real life - can't get the same angle here, as no-one would actually drive that line in real life!
G2YgsNw.jpg

Last edited:
12. Wippermann drop compared, shape and width of track along with track writing:

Monaco Grand Prix Racing Simulation 2 - again, nothing like reality (maybe not even the right part of the track!)
hjuOTmZ.jpg

Grand Prix Legends - right shape, but lacking trees!
qsFfhMC.jpg

GTR Evolution - lacks detail/drama.
TNNa6QB.jpg

Need For Speed: Shift - the shadows help a lot here, but not quite photo realistic.
qVQGhIS.jpg

Test Drive: Ferrari Racing Legends - a shared version of the above, with better white lines along the road.
7QNc6Tr.jpg

Shift 2 Unleashed - even more definition/detail, but those trees still look suspicious!
uXNxonZ.jpg

Project CARS - lovely detailed trees here, but no people/life.
65VaL85.jpg

Ride 2 - feels a bit wrong.
VOVMPbW.jpg

Assetto Corsa - a nice mix of detail here, but the trees seem a bit underwhelming, compared to real life.
X7gwHKg.jpg

RaceRoom Racing Experience - better than Assetto Corsa, but still looks a bit blue and washed out.
ryjGDik.jpg

iRacing - a nice mix of colours here, strange writing on the track though!
nJt6R0J.jpg

Project CARS 2 - similar to other versions. Less uniform trees than the original Project CARS though.
5i3WwX4.jpg

Forza Motorsport 6: Apex - nice detail, close to real life.
hZeSVUr.jpg

Forza Motorsport 7 - two key things to note: firstly the wire fences are almost invisible compared to Forza 6, as are the skid marks. They're still there, just much less heavy.
BIA3gZK.jpg

Real life
wWI6hmE.jpg

Last edited:
13. Comparing the shape and track writing on this famous stretch of track:

Monaco Grand Prix Racing Simulation 2 - er, nope!
flyO9pH.jpg

Grand Prix Legends - really nice trees here, but the track shape is a little bit out.
v9eRpjT.jpg

GTR Evolution - a decent attempt from GTR Evolution, but the trees are incorrect (should be more on the left and less on the right.
OkE8Rl4.jpg

Need For Speed: Shift - with the bloom it feels a bit nuclear wasteland! White lines at the track edges are too small.
Vhu7UI7.jpg

Test Drive: Ferrari Racing Legends - corrects the issues seen in Need For Speed: Shift.
ZmMUsL1.jpg

Shift 2 Unleashed - the monster mega background makes this versions feel a lot different. Trees aren't especially accurate.
nkauzWe.jpg

Project CARS - it's... okay, although again the trees aren't that accurate.
SMykSuf.jpg

Ride 2 - it's not terrible, but the grey toning again makes it feel like the contrast is broken!
fED5CAp.jpg

Assetto Corsa - pretty close to reality.
pLsTLok.jpg

RaceRoom Racing Experience - more trees, but otherwise not too bad.
4rGGKkF.jpg

iRacing - this actually looks pretty accurate.
KyYrmqP.jpg

Project CARS 2 - a spotless track, much like the original Project CARS!
ZJOT7Tp.jpg

Forza Motorsport 6: Apex - very close to reality.
VXVQPmU.jpg

Forza Motorsport 7 - no massive difference, though the sharper shadows stand out. The lighting does make trackside scenery feel more flat though.
cTM31Pb.jpg

Real life
O1TArV7.jpg

Last edited:
14. The start of the long straight, compare the castle (where visible):

Monaco Grand Prix Racing Simulation 2 - now this actually does look pretty close to real life! There's even a hill where the castle is, roughly!
kmjcnp5.jpg

Grand Prix Legends - fairly low in detail, the castle is there, but behind the hedge!
8RKmgWh.jpg

GTR Evolution - not quite right.
TnXQoDo.jpg

Need For Speed: Shift - too much bloom, not enough trees, and the castle is beyond the draw depth of the scenery!
90cvqvm.jpg

Test Drive: Ferrari Racing Legends - same as before, but see how much cleaner things look without bloom!
4ur25YH.jpg

Shift 2 Unleashed - the castle is visible, but the huge, unrealistic backdrop towers over it, making it look a bit lost (it's next to the tree on the right)!
NxPp0Fa.jpg

Project CARS - pretty good.
Go8NLAQ.jpg

Ride 2 - the castle is in the wrong place and too low down. The hills on the track look a bit off, too.
s5tAsLo.jpg

Assetto Corsa - very close to reality, but the trees on the left are a bit tall.
ZCpLd6P.jpg

RaceRoom Racing Experience - almost identical to Assetto Corsa! However the trees are even taller on the left!
2dgOeiM.jpg

iRacing - another good showing, but the trees on the left are a bit short.
xW4Hzk5.jpg

Project CARS 2 - this is more close to Forza Motorsport 6: Apex than iRacing.
bRQfkZX.jpg

Forza Motorsport 6: Apex - practically perfect!
J20z8ub.jpg

Forza Motorsport 7 - more hazy, and the castle has pushed back a bit!
m34tmjO.jpg

Real life
KKlOcXz.jpg

Last edited:
15. The rise up past the pitlane (for Bridge-To-Gantry runs), compare the building on the right:

Monaco Grand Prix Racing Simulation 2 - not a lot to see here, but at least the road has a hill!
ZqB6VBC.jpg

Grand Prix Legends - hedges, that's all!
0yuor8D.jpg

GTR Evolution - it's okay. I can't see the nice hedge on the left in real life! The building on the right is a bit drab (not sure if it was repainted at some point after this version came out).
R3a3tSu.jpg

Need For Speed: Shift - stupid huge signs block the building, but it's there!
yr6kOxR.jpg

Test Drive: Ferrari Racing Legends - now you can see it! Just about...
KeXVw0e.jpg

Shift 2 Unleashed - the signs are back!
N9uBejl.jpg

Project CARS - there's a lot of emergency vehicles in Project CARS!
Q1y8czO.jpg

Ride 2 - all looks a bit wrong, again. Not sure what the big grey slabs over the building are.
wXHu6Nc.jpg

Assetto Corsa - not too bad, but there's a big tree on the right which is missing/much smaller in real life.
A0Jz3oj.jpg

RaceRoom Racing Experience - good, pretty accurate.
bcSGPX4.jpg

iRacing - possibly the most accurate.
l5B1i8Z.jpg

Project CARS 2 - trackside scenery again lifted from the original Project CARS, including the airship! I noticed they've replaced the barriers on the right with tyres though...
xcLyx0t.jpg

Forza Motorsport 6: Apex - this is pretty decent too. Interestingly has marker post 196 on the left, where it's 195 on the Project CARS games!
v3jiZny.jpg

Forza Motorsport 7 - this comparison really highlights the change to shadows: they're now a lot sharper than Forza 6. Whether this is a good thing can be debated.
GGZfNqT.jpg

Real life
2emktGW.jpg

Last edited:
16. Comparing the main road outside the track on the left, where visible:

Monaco Grand Prix Racing Simulation 2 - forget reality!
kOA7JoM.jpg

Grand Prix Legends - it's okay, but lack of scenery means you can see a lot further than in real life.
EbpHwfy.jpg

GTR Evolution - not too bad, you can see the road on the left!
Bv2noBI.jpg

Need For Speed: Shift - super dense trees mean you can't see the road on the left. White lines are too small.
O8w3Jwq.jpg

Test Drive: Ferrari Racing Legends - the same as above, but improved white lines.
JcfsLiK.jpg

Shift 2 Unleashed - better trees and you can see the road ahead on the left, just about!
U5ZlCIQ.jpg

Project CARS - pretty realistic, much more so that the Shift games. There's a touch of road on the left!
jUykiBS.jpg

Ride 2 - it's sort-of okay.
eK6q1Bh.jpg

Assetto Corsa - pretty good, though the trees are a bit different to real life.
SVqnu1t.jpg

RaceRoom Racing Experience - marginally better than Assetto Corsa, though not sure about the tree on the left.
5dOkgx6.jpg

iRacing - very good, very realistic!
xZ6WdtG.jpg

Project CARS 2 - pretty consistent with other laserscanned versions.
zcdkyk5.jpg

Forza Motorsport 6: Apex - I think I snapped this one a bit too high up the road, otherwise it'd be as good as iRacing!
5Qnms5o.jpg

Forza Motorsport 7 - I snapped this one at the same point as Forza 6, so again, it's a bit higher up than other games. There's little change here, but the trees on the left don't look as good with the new lighting model, as they seem a bit washed out.
aT4YyRE.jpg

Real life
e2ZqxWR.jpg

Last edited:
17. Finally, just for fun; comparing the warning sign (and people) on the first corner (where it's present):

Monaco Grand Prix Racing Simulation 2 - there's a sign, but it's not right!
4X4YBWI.jpg

Grand Prix Legends - no sign here. I doubt it was there in 1967 anyway!
HynrcmG.jpg

GTR Evolution - the first game with the sign! A bit low detail, texture-wise, but it's there!
pK2LvzC.jpg

Need For Speed: Shift - no sign in the first Shift game. Apart from the Need For Speed Live silly one!
DHX1KMq.jpg

Test Drive: Ferrari Racing Legends - similarly none here. More people, though they look pretty awkward!
bvnjoP7.jpg

Shift 2 Unleashed - still no sign in the newer Shift game! Well, apart from the one with a Need For Speed logo on it! No people either!
lMmg5U9.jpg

Project CARS - amazingly, Project CARS has no sign too.
t0ts8XE.jpg

Ride 2 - the sign is there! But it looks like it's been recreated, rather than photographed, as the title isn't italic and the fonts look wrong!
01e5YBm.jpg

Assetto Corsa - the sign is present-and-correct.
xWANEPd.jpg

RaceRoom Racing Experience - here's the sign in RaceRoom Racing Experience.
kT0zSJn.jpg

iRacing - iRacing has the sign, too!
fnZY1wd.jpg

Project CARS 2 - the sign is missing, as with all of Slightly Mad Studios previous games.
zH2nOko.jpg

Forza Motorsport 6: Apex - this version of the sign is a bit faded out, not so bright red. Although that could be caused by the time-of-day Forza Motorsport 6: Apex uses.
aMVsuas.jpg

Forza Motorsport 7 - this feels all a bit light (I think the lighting plays up a bit with a faux HDR effect here). Scenery is unchanged, although at least here you can see the wire fence!
QtUXtGi.jpg

Real life - a bit far away, as no one would obviously drive right up to the sign in real life! But it's there, you see?!
4FuC1iA.jpg

Last edited:
Alot of work was put into this thread :)
Was your raceroom track review done after the june 30th 2017 when it was updated to the 2017 track visuals?

Nürburgring & Nordschleife: updated to 2017 visuals after our visit to the 24H earlier this year. Main pitwall logos, old pitwall color, BMW bridge, BMW sign at Brünnchen, T13 pitwall, NGK chicane logo, carousel banner, armco flags, graffitis, new fencing.

Also inside your main raceroom folder theres a folder called moods inside that you can change the lighting and get rid of the bluish tint....i prefer "realistic mood"
I like the trackside 3d animations, moving marshalls/fans and the suddle swaying of the trees in Raceroom just adds to the immersion and brings the track to life.
Really enjoy the road textures in iracing.

Last edited:
Wow! A great amount of effort went into these comparisons, thank you.

Pretty impressed with the quality and detail of ac, rr, ir and forza. It just shows how close these companies are trying to get their products to real life.

Also, in some of the shots on my phone the real life track looks like a game too!

Alot of work was put into this thread :)
Was your raceroom track review done after the june 30th 2017 when it was updated to the 2017 track visuals?

I think so, as the screenshots were made on 13th July.

Thanks for the feedback everyone. I used to do complete F1 screenshot comparisons in the past, and have some lined up in future (there's over 103 games with F1 cars in on PC these days!). Also I have plans for a rally comparison too.

It is hard to keep up though, as most games are becoming ongoing projects, those updates to the Ring for RaceRoom being a case in point!

I plan to add Project CARS 2 and Forza Motorsport 7 after they're released.

Latest News

Are you buying car setups?

• Yes

• No

Results are only viewable after voting.
Back