Bram Hengeveld

Site Founder
Staff
Premium
CVG had the following to report about GRID 2. Seems that after many years a sequel is in the making.
Race Driver: GRID released way back in 2008 and people liked it. A lot. So where the bloody hell's the sequel? It's coming, according to the Official Xbox Magazine UK.

The rumours page of the latest issue of OXM gives GRID fans a new reason to be excited. "The GRID team at Codemasters is actively working on GRID 2," says the magazine. "It's likely to arrive after the release of F1 2012."

F1 2012 is expected to hit shops in September, so it's possible Codies could be eyeing a late 2012 release for the currently unannounced sequel.
There have been whispers of a GRID 2 stretching back to 2010, so an announcement is overdue. But with Codemasters having recently made the shift to a dedicated racing development studio, we wouldn't be surprised to hear something more concrete soon.
Source: CVG

GRID 2 is going to be an arcade racer, not a sim! In my opinion, cockpit view is better for sims than arcade. Arcade is faster paced than a sim and cockpit makes it difficult to drive in an arcade. To be honest, I was never a fan of cockpit but I have grown to feel okay with it because of iRacing. Hood view allows you to see your surroundings better and still have an immersive experience. Not to mention I get better FPS on my PC with hood view. I don't think Codemasters made a mistake here, but everyone is entitled to their own opinion. :) I just hope they dont milk the game with DLC, because if they do then forget it, not buying it. This isn't stopping me from buying the game.

I
Yes, I know you will now argue "that is how real drivers do it" but tbh, it's nowhere near the same thing as a real driver, in a real car. He (or her ;)) can turn his head and tilt it in all directions, something that is not possible in a game, at least not without some extra hardware and support for it.

Some games do it better than others, and some cars suck for vision in cockpit mode, for example, GSC has an excellent implementation of cockpit view, but the V8SC's are hard to see out of, but that doesn't stop me from driving them in that view, but for certain, no cockpit view automatically eliminates any racing game for me, so I would't even buy this for $5 off a future steam sale.

CM's are going from bad to worse lately.

Getting rid of cockpit view is fine by me. It's one of the most useless things in racing games/sims.

Unless you have a triple monitor setup, you're pretty limited on screen area...and having most of that area devoted to displaying the inside of your car is just silly. Your focus in a real car is on the road - and in a racing game/sim I prefer to focus on the road & my surroundings as well.

I mean, I guess I could slide my seat waaaaay back and drive with my fingertips so I can take in the glory of the interior of my Ford, but...
I have to disagree with you, one of the important things for a sim in my opinion is a sence of imersion, even with only a single screen (ok a 32")
i still have a better sence of imersion with a cockpit view, infact with a wheel i find it hard to drive with a bumper cam because of it's location being too low and too far foward and chase cam being just imposssible, that and if i remeber the cockpits on grid 1 were quite good, not forza4/GT5?Iracing but quite good and it seams to make no sence to remove a feature that the previous title was praised on

Grid was very easy to drive but okay and yeah codies changed their style .. its now for the "wider audience" :/ ... that means arcade. If you want to simrace stay with rfactor,Iracing or other stuff .. but those console stuff really is going down.
I don't agree, I think console games like Forza 3 & 4 F1 2011 and GT5 are heading in the right direction. I also think that players are more likely to be encouraged into PC sim racing through these games.
After all Pole Position used to be advertised as having realistic driving when it was on the old Atari console. Look how far we've came in under 30 years. Look at GT on the PS1 also Toca 1 & 2 were praised at the time for their physics and handling. The big sales on consoles encourage developers to produce more racing games for both consoles and PC. This year and next we're going to be swamped with racing games some of which will hopefully suit the sim racing community. We're seeing new business models develop like IRacing, Project Cars and Simraceway as well as standard releases. Maybe we should take the time to appreciate what we have got nowadays.
vive la différence :)

@David

Yes, I agree that CM is generally going downhill, really sorry to see this as they have done some real fun games in the past...

It's a tragedy that more people aren't open to sim racing, for example, I've got over a 1000hrs on GTR evo+expansions over 3yrs of driving, yet F1 2010 distracted me for a few weeks and then it was permanently shelved.

GRID 2 will probably still sell plenty, but I think it'll be a forgettable arcade racer.

In my opinion, cockpit view is almost useless in anything other than an open wheel car. I always used bonnet view in every driving game, well T-cam in F1 2010 & 2011. However when I got GSC I swtched to cockpit view and as I said, that works ok in an open wheeler but in any other game/car it's no fun since you really don't see much of your surrondings or fellow drivers.

Yes, I know you will now argue "that is how real drivers do it" but tbh, it's nowhere near the same thing as a real driver, in a real car. He (or her ;)) can turn his head and tilt it in all directions, something that is not possible in a game, at least not without some extra hardware and support for it.

This is not a argument for leaving it out of the game, it's just not especially important for me but I understand others who want to go "all in" sts.
Liked the first Grid, it's not a sim but I had some serious fun with it, not sure if I will buy this one but I might. :)
I drive in f1 2011 league. i always drove t-cam as it's what i saw on tv (onboard camera). i also argued that the cockpit was not as fair as real life because you couldn't see around you as easily. also, in f1 2011, the car bumps up and down whereas my body (in real life) doesn't move in relation to the car. however, since going no assists cockpit view, i have to say, you adapt and start to sense what's around you. i now feel part of the car rather than seperate from it. not everyone will agree but i've found it's taken my driving to a higher level. i feel a greater sense of achievement and am now actually faster than i was.

i've tried rfactor in cockpit and same applies. you really need to try it long term before you feel the benefits. again, if you have tried it and still don't like it, each to his/her own but knowing this game has no cockpit mode...i won't be buying it and having no option to must only be a bad thing ?

The part about not being able to run cockpit view is bs. The article already mentioned one cure and i agree. When you using cockpit view and correctly defined viewport, there is very little difference in performance if the scene is properly optimized. In some occasions, it's even cheaper to do huge part of the screen as almost static image, there's less bandwidth used for transferring new models and textures between GPU and the rest of the system. Yes, memory size is the first bottleneck but even i can think of places where it can be saved, for ex, you don't need to load the most complex model on track, your own vehicles outside is almost completely left off. So no, i don't buy this explanation. The fact can easily be that according some survey they've made amongst the casual console crowd, the 5% cockpit use might well be tru and that is the main reason behind such idiocy.. A "realistic" sim without cockpit simply don't belong in the same sentence.. But it's codemaster, when have they released anything realistic? And how long do we have to wait for a next gen rally sim?

Grid 2 is a Arcade Racer for the consoles!!

It's the sort of thing my son (though he enjoys Race Pro) and my Nephew will play and enjoy and fellas having a night in with mates and their beers to have a lark around with. That's it's market and it will probably be a commercial success!!

Why us Sim racers even bother to worry ourselves about it when we have the likes of Assetto Corsa on the horizon and the already brilliant GSC2012 and the promissing (though ugly) rF2 already with us I reallly don't know :rolleyes: .
is rfactor 2 ugly? i haven't played it yet but from what i've seen of the "beta" it looks mindblowing - especially the sunrise video. what game is currently better than it? just curious as just bought a new pc and getting excited

is rfactor 2 ugly? i haven't played it yet but from what i've seen of the "beta" it looks mindblowing - especially the sunrise video. what game is currently better than it? just curious as just bought a new pc and getting excited
No Andrew I was being a bit harsh. It doesn't look good on my system which is pretty decent, but with everything on and to the max (and working correctly) then it does look good, but not up to Assetto Corsa or pCars. Though I don't think pCars will worry rF2 on the physics front:).

Most importantly though the rF2 physics and other features will make it a worthwhile purchase for you.

Sorry if I worried you with my comment:).

Cockpit cam at Grid was great fun. It would be a bad deduction from the game, hope it's just for consoles. At least will come with a DLC hopefully.

There is no need to be very angry at DLCs. You buy pizza, but have to pay for extra things on it too and nobody complains about it. These dlcs are nearly cheaper than some of these pizzas too.

this game will be utterly rubbish just like Dirt Showdown yet naive people will still stupidly buy it

Excuse me sir but what if they like those games? For instance, i tried Showdown's demo and it was great fun for me. I become a naive if i buy something i enjoy? :)

Kennett Ylitalo said an absolutely true thing: when you're in cockpit view, your car is almost not drawn at all!

So how can it be heavier? It's enough you use same amount of vertices you saved off by not drawing your car (except some front parts).

External car view and cockpit view load two totally different 3D models for your own car.
So it's enough you make them stay on the same amount of vertices.

So it's a total lie if you say stuffs like "by not including cockpits, we saved power to make better looking cars".

My dear Codemaster's PR: if your target is Casual Gamers, then go lie to Casual Gamers. Your "jokes" can't work for hard gamers like us!

Also remember a vital thing:

While Casual Gamers makes your earn the most of money, they simply buy a game only if their Hardcore Gamers friends suggest it!

So if you want to make money from Casual Gamers, you have to make Hardcore Gamers happy!

So even if only 5% of Casual Gamers uses Cockpit view, more than 50% of Hardcore Gamers will be unhappy if you remove such view!

No Andrew I was being a bit harsh. It doesn't look good on my system which is pretty decent, but with everything on and to the max (and working correctly) then it does look good, but not up to Assetto Corsa or pCars. Though I don't think pCars will worry rF2 on the physics front:).

Most importantly though the rF2 physics and other features will make it a worthwhile purchase for you.

Sorry if I worried you with my comment:).
hey mate, no worries. you didn't worry me at all. i was just curious as a few people have said p-cars looks better. for me i'd rather have amazing graphics with amazing physics than "out of this world graphics" and good physics lol

thanks for clearing that up mate. you upgrading your pc to cope? maybe i'll race you one days soon ;-)

Also remember a vital thing:

While Casual Gamers makes your earn the most of money, they simply buy a game only if their Hardcore Gamers friends suggest it!

So if you want to make money from Casual Gamers, you have to make Hardcore Gamers happy!

So even if only 5% of Casual Gamers uses Cockpit view, more than 50% of Hardcore Gamers will be unhappy if you remove such view!
Where do you get these numbers from?

Latest News

Are you buying car setups?

• Yes

• No

Results are only viewable after voting.
Back