Samsung 57" UWD Monitor

• Thread starter Deleted member 197115
  • Start date
About FOV etc:
I visited a racing buddy over the last weekend and he has 3x 32" right behind the wheel, in front of the wheelbase.
FOV exactly calculated, my head position was pretty much identical to his (same height).

Yes, track and car looked like they would in reality and the monitors were big enough to see the roof and the bottom of the cockpit-dash.

Could I drive well? Absolutely not. Since it's not 3D, I couldn't judge speed and distances at all and as in Nils' video, everything moved super fast from left to right but I felt like I'd be driving at 30 kp/h.

I drove about 2 hours on each of the 3 days and although I got pretty well used to it throughout the Saturday, I was still slow, got headache and my eyes started to hurt a bit.
It was just too close to me to focus on a quickly moving image.

Now you'd think that I just needed to get used to it since I never really drove with 1:1 FOV. But nope, that's not it!
He also has a G2 and when I put that on, everything looked virtually identical compared to his triples. Which of course makes complete sense.
But now I could match my lap times within a few laps, didn't get the hurting eyes, things didn't feel slow and also didn't move too fast side to side.
Going back to triples, still the same issues.

When getting back home, I couldn't drive well at my own setup either. So I definitely got used to the 1:1.

Another racing buddy was also there, and although he could match his times and got used to it way quicker, he didn't felt the "oh, everything is like in reality!" either.
He did with the G2 though.

My conclusion: seeing things 1:1 can help, but can also be wrong for each individual. I'm with Nils' regarding FOV and my theory is:
The brain has to do 2 things when simracing:
1. Making us feel like it's "real", taking in the virtual world and basically build an alternate reality/simulation inside of our heads, which enables us to drive well. For this, the physics etc need to be consistent within themselves. Otherwise you slide off without understanding why.

2. Scaling the visuals to "look like an alternate reality" in our heads. It's part of the first point, but we can actually influence this via monitor size, distance and FOV.
In VR, this point isn't necessary. Instead our brain just has to get over the flyscreen/pixelated looks.

Now my theory regarding mathematically correct FOV is that it makes the 2. point easier for some brains, which makes total sense.
But I think the 1. point is the way bigger task for our brains, which makes the correct FOV a bit irrelevant, depending on how your internal brain-geometry-scaling-simulation works.
For me, it's completely irrelevant. I simply have a "feel good" range of monitor size/distance/FOV where it works best for me.
Or rather, 42-55° vertical always look best for me and my eyes don't like to stare at anything closer than about 1.0m.

So 1:1 FOV could probably work very well for me too, but it would require 75" 4k triples in 1.5-2.0m distance from my eyes.
Calculated FOV says I'd need 70", 16:9 at 1.0m distance for 47° vFOV.

I jump between vr and a 49” SUW. Fov 32 on pancake and I’m faster and more consistent. Screen 60cm away. Had it closer but I didn’t like it. Vr is great for immersion and enjoyment but for actual races I’m switching to monitor full time. Just ordered head tracking actually.

I bet if those triples were running in 3D/stereo vision you'd change your mind judging from how much better you enjoyed the VR even though the world-scaling looked the same.

3D/stereo vision is incredible. It's why I couldn't upgrade to bigger than 3x 27" monitors for like 10 years because there was nothing bigger in 3D. Thank goodness for VR headsets (and especially wide FOV ones) for bringing 3D back to the world.

I miss my triple-monitor 3D setup almost every day - even playing non-racing games on just the centre 3D monitor - even though I currently have probably 1 of the 2 best gaming monitors in the industry (LG 45GR95QE-B, Samsung G9 32:9 57" being the other).

I have a Pimax 5K Super but have been lazy with setting it up with VorpX to make all my games run in 3D. There's a novelty about the quick switch of monitors between 2D and 3D mode that VR doesn't have since it goes through it's own back-end with all sorts of other stuff going on (SteamVR, OpenVR, OpenXR, OpenComposite, Windows Mixed Reality, different options and settings for games compared to 2D, and all sorts of other "middle-man" stuff). VR is overall superior to 3D monitors, don't get me wrong.

No amount of resolution, pixels-per-inch, brightness, HDR peak brightness, black levels, aspect ratio, colour accuracy, size, curvature, contrast ratio, etc. can make up for 3D/stereo vision.

Thank goodness for VR.

A cool side effect for me with 3D is that graphics always look (or "feel") real. Since everything feels like a real world, if some object or texture or whatever looks bad - low polygon count, low res textures, whatever - my brain just interprets it as "that's what that object looks like, plus, there's nothing stopping an object from looking like that in real life" rather than "that object shouldn't look like that, it should have a way higher polygon count so that the corners and edges look more round". In short, in 3D, my brain accepts it all as being real because, well, I'm looking at it so it's obviously real! (Lol) unlike in 2D where you're noticing things like unrealistic or just poor objects, art-design, textures, polygon-counts, shadows, lighting, etc.

Last edited:
  • Deleted member 197115

Too bad it's dying just like 3D.

• Deleted member 197115

It's me again, going off topic in this thread, sorry!
But I want to keep this in one thread..
Could you upload a picture of the rear side?
I've found out that it's not just about the thickness for me, but rather about how much material there is for the fingers at the back of the wheels.
I took some pictures of my current rims as examples/comparison.
Fake Leather:
Moza ES with 3D printed Magnet/Paddle mod.
A bit thicker for a small round rim, slight "booty".

Rubber:
Fanatec McLaren V2.
Rather thin, but massive "booty" at the rear for the fingers to grab.

Suede:
Runsco/Simraceshop/Cube Controls GT rim. Too good to not buy it. But I'd still like a round one.
Surprisingly little "booty" at the rear but very chunky at the front with big 3D shaped thumb areas. Fits like a glove for my hands.

As usual, pictures with extra lights look very dusty. It's not skin particles. I don't find skin particles on wheels gross though, but maybe someone else does.

Thanks in advance! :)

View attachment 704766View attachment 704767View attachment 704768View attachment 704769
Not sure if this is what you wanted
1698986883042.png

Screenshot 2023-11-02 215301.png

I bet if those triples were running in 3D/stereo vision you'd change your mind judging from how much better you enjoyed the VR even though the world-scaling looked the same.

3D/stereo vision is incredible. It's why I couldn't upgrade to bigger than 3x 27" monitors for like 10 years because there was nothing bigger in 3D. Thank goodness for VR headsets (and especially wide FOV ones) for bringing 3D back to the world.

I miss my triple-monitor 3D setup almost every day - even playing non-racing games on just the centre 3D monitor - even though I currently have probably 1 of the 2 best gaming monitors in the industry (LG 45GR95QE-B, Samsung G9 32:9 57" being the other).

I have a Pimax 5K Super but have been lazy with setting it up with VorpX to make all my games run in 3D. There's a novelty about the quick switch of monitors between 2D and 3D mode that VR doesn't have since it goes through it's own back-end with all sorts of other stuff going on (SteamVR, OpenVR, OpenXR, OpenComposite, Windows Mixed Reality, different options and settings for games compared to 2D, and all sorts of other "middle-man" stuff). VR is overall superior to 3D monitors, don't get me wrong.

No amount of resolution, pixels-per-inch, brightness, HDR peak brightness, black levels, aspect ratio, colour accuracy, size, curvature, contrast ratio, etc. can make up for 3D/stereo vision.

Thank goodness for VR.

A cool side effect for me with 3D is that graphics always look (or "feel") real. Since everything feels like a real world, if some object or texture or whatever looks bad - low polygon count, low res textures, whatever - my brain just interprets it as "that's what that object looks like, plus, there's nothing stopping an object from looking like that in real life" rather than "that object shouldn't look like that, it should have a way higher polygon count so that the corners and edges look more round". In short, in 3D, my brain accepts it all as being real because, well, I'm looking at it so it's obviously real! (Lol) unlike in 2D where you're noticing things like unrealistic or just poor objects, art-design, textures, polygon-counts, shadows, lighting, etc.
Yes, absolutely! With 3D Vision, I'd probably like 1:1 FOV a lot better. I was able to get it running on my 3D TV a few years ago with my gtx 1070 and some custom driver etc iirc.
Looked brilliant, although a bit meh at 30 fps per eye so I only used up the demo time.
I really don't need 3D movies, since I dislike having to follow the focus of the camera, but 3D gaming? Imagine it at 120 fps per eye on that 57" 240 Hz Monitor!

Yes, thanks a lot already! :)
Could you take a last picture more from the top/bottom to see the curvy part behind the spoke a bit more clearly?

At the expo, quite a lot of the round rims were basically flat at the rear, so your fingers would have no grip and and slip around on the spoke. Asetek being the worst with a flattened back (and front) at the spoke. Zero grip!
When driving, "2" is almost further away from you than "1", while "1" is flattened. No curvy shape to claw into at all.
Sadly this snapshot from a 1080p video is the only one I can find to show this "bad example".
IMG_20231103_081206_194.jpg

This is the Cube Controls F-Pro, which has the biggest curvy shape to claw in with the middle and ring finger of the wheels I touched at the expo. 2 being way closer to you when driving and I could really grab it with full force on all fingers.

IMG_20231103_081922_477.jpg

Your rim seems to have a nice 3D rounding between rim and spoke to claw into too? Looks at least as deeply rounded as my moza es, but not 100% sure from your pictures yet.
I sadly can't find any pictures of your rim and you're the only one I know that has it.
Sorry to bother you, the shops, where it's available from Germany, sadly have bad return policies..

Last edited:
  • Deleted member 197115

Why not just order from amazon and return if you don't like it?
It is my most used rim, as you can tell by wear, and most comfortable I came across, you'll like it, take a leaf of faith. Worst case scenario, sell it here.

Last edited by a moderator:
  • Deleted member 197115

Head tracker arrived. How much of a dead zone did u set up Andrew? I have it to only look left or right, no pitch or yaw at all, etc.
For 49" G9 you don't need that much. My settings below, it's pretty subtle.
Unaltered Smooth profile with Speed and Smooth settings pictured.
1699045536974.png

• Deleted member 197115

@RasmusP , hope that's the last one. :D
Took a pic of the leather one as suede rim has wheel plate attached and paddle shifters blocking the section you wanted. Other than cover material they should be the same.
20231103_172632.jpg

@RasmusP , hope that's the last one. :D
Took a pic of the leather one as suede rim has wheel plate attached and paddle shifters blocking the section you wanted. Other than cover material they should be the same.
View attachment 705116
Thanks a lot man! Really appreciate that you could be bothered to do this :)
That looks like you can really grab it tight and firm.

Now I just need to decide between leather and suede, lol. That leather looks nice and grippy!

@Andrzej_WOT

Maybe a colleague has a video of the game, how exactly the head movement looks like and how much you can see at 49 inches
Andrew is more experienced than me but so far I can move my head as little or as much as I set it too and then see as much or as little as I want in the game for example on a flight game u could check your 6 etc without actually turning around. Pretty cool. Just search track ir on you tube for videos of it working
For racing it’s great for looking into the Apexes naturally and also spatial awareness with a quick look to either side. Coming from vr I’m quite impressed but then the monitor is always a nice change from vr graphics (so far). And no face hugger on your head is also nice haha

• Deleted member 197115

Andrew is more experienced than me but so far I can move my head as little or as much as I set it too and then see as much or as little as I want in the game for example on a flight game u could check your 6 etc without actually turning around. Pretty cool. Just search track ir on you tube for videos of it working
For racing it’s great for looking into the Apexes naturally and also spatial awareness with a quick look to either side. Coming from vr I’m quite impressed but then the monitor is always a nice change from vr graphics (so far). And no face hugger on your head is also nice haha
And don't forget to check out documentation it covers basic things like what Speed and Smooth are doing as well as recommended for different games profiles and some advanced stuff I've personally never touched. :geek:

I remember using my TrackIR 5 with triple-screens in 3D Vision - it was like a pseudo-VR experience...incredible.

Racing the 60s F3s around 60s Spa, Monza, and Monaco in RF2 - feeling like I was there with the combination of triple-screens, 1:1 FOV, 3D/stereo vision, and (sometimes) head-tracking - online with awesome guys like DurgeDriven, ClockIt, and others. They're some of the most fun and immersive simracing experiences I've had thus far.

I hope you enjoy it!

For me, personally, I only used it for 2 of the 6 axes: pitch (look up/down) and yaw (look left/right). I didn't like any of the other axes for various reasons.

I used a deadzone so my view wouldn't move while "regular" driving. I only wanted the TrackIR to "kick in" when I wanted to look up/down to see things I couldn't normally see like buttons, displays, rear-view mirror, etc. and left/right when I wanted to look even further than my triple-screens allowed.

Last edited:
  • Deleted member 197115

I used a deadzone so my view wouldn't move while "regular" driving. I only wanted the TrackIR do "kick in" when I wanted to look up/down to see things I couldn't normally see like buttons, displays, rear-view mirror, etc. and left/right when I wanted to look even further than my triple-screens allowed.
Default and Smooth profile come with deadzone already.

When you talk about great time driving 60s cars on 60s tracks, it sounds like you talk in general about sweet 60s.
Mandatory "back in my day" meme goes here. :D

Last edited by a moderator:
When you talk about great time driving 60s cars on 60s tracks, it sounds like you talk in general about sweet 60s.
Mandatory "back in my day" meme goes here. :D
Haha, na, 60s are not "my day". I wasn't even born until another 25 or 30 years. I just know good cars / racecars and tracks, that's all :)

Latest News

What is the reason for your passion for sim racing?

• Watching real motorsport

Votes: 531 68.6%
  • Physics and mechanics

Votes: 330 42.6%
  • Competition and adrenaline

Votes: 352 45.5%
  • Practice for real racing

Votes: 176 22.7%
  • Community and simracers

Votes: 207 26.7%
Back