OpenComposite with Assetto Corsa

I have installed OpenComposite and OpenXR Toolkit. I have manualyl copied openvr_api.dll to my AC/system/x64 folder. It works because I can see the overlay and make adjustments to the image. I have used the upscaling/sharpening feature, which makes the image more high res.

I have seen some users enable this but also the AMD fidelity. Does that make any sense? Correct me if I am wrong, but the AMD is for lowering the resolution and upcaling the image and the OpenXR feature is for upscalling it, right? Does the OpenXR upscaling kill my fps? I have not noticed any fps gain when using OpenXR.

Another strange issue is that when I launch AC or any other game, SteamVR is automatically launched if not already opened. Isn't OpenXR supposed to work without SteamVR?

I have installed OpenComposite and OpenXR Toolkit. I have manualyl copied openvr_api.dll to my AC/system/x64 folder. It works because I can see the overlay and make adjustments to the image. I have used the upscaling/sharpening feature, which makes the image more high res.

I have seen some users enable this but also the AMD fidelity. Does that make any sense? Correct me if I am wrong, but the AMD is for lowering the resolution and upcaling the image and the OpenXR feature is for upscalling it, right? Does the OpenXR upscaling kill my fps? I have not noticed any fps gain when using OpenXR.

Another strange issue is that when I launch AC or any other game, SteamVR is automatically launched if not already opened. Isn't OpenXR supposed to work without SteamVR?
After installing the PimaxXR Control Center SteamVR no longer opens when I launch Assetto Corsa with OpenComposite. However, Virtual Desktop (the app to see the Windows desktop in VR) still needs SteamVR and I haven't been able to make it work with OpenComposite.

When working correctly SteamVr is not launched, only Steam, have you switched to OpenXR Runtime with Windows Mixed Reality OpenXR Tools?. You need this too.

When working correctly SteamVr is not launched, only Steam, have you switched to OpenXR Runtime with Windows Mixed Reality OpenXR Tools?. You need this too.
As I said, StemVR is not launched now that I have installed PimaxXR. I cannot use the Windows Mixed Reality because it asks me to update my Windows 10 (no way).

After reading about it, it seems that Virtual Desktop only allows OpenXR in an unreleased beta version, so I'll have to wait or look for another alternative for displaying my desktop.

Have you noticed any fps gain when using OpenXR? I mean when not using foveated rendering (I don't like it at all) or lowering the resolution? I haven't. Actually my fps are almost the same or a little lower than with SteamVR. What I was really impressed is with the upscaling/sharpening. It really improves the image, without any noticeable artifacts, like increasing the resolution, and incredibly, without any fps penalty.

For me the advantage of using OpenXR is the Override Resolution, that helps a lot with the shimmering on fences. I use Foveated Rendering with Prefer Resolution "Horizontal" and 150% "Horizontal Scale" so it uses ellipses instead of circles to make the rings. And 90% on each side on Field Of View. With this settings i can run AC with better quality keeping FPS around 85.

For me the advantage of using OpenXR is the Override Resolution, that helps a lot with the shimmering on fences. I use Foveated Rendering with Prefer Resolution "Horizontal" and 150% "Horizontal Scale" so it uses ellipses instead of circles to make the rings. And 90% on each side on Field Of View. With this settings i can run AC with better quality keeping FPS around 85.
For me foveated rendering is discarded. Maybe it works fine for low FOV headsets, but not for my Pimax.

Isn't the override resolution the same as adjusting the resolution in SteamVR? Do you increase it or reduce it over the default value of your headset? I do not have many issues of shimmering on fences. It is far more noticeable if I enable the AMD fidelity or reduce the headset resolution.

Increase to 3200x3118 on HP Reverb G2. Can't use SteamVR to do supersampling with this settings and the WMR OpenXR Tools max value for SS is 100%, only lower values allowed.

I initially got the game working with Steam, and then I decided to give OpenComposite a try where I wasn't able to get it running. Now the game is no longer working with Steam either. I just get a blank screen while hearing the engine running.

I didn't change much; I only replaced the two openvr_api.dll files manually and added OpenComposite.ini in the original folder. I've installed openXR toolkit as well but AFAIK this is not necessary to get the game running.

I, of course, switched everything back when trying again with Steam, but no luck.

G2 goggles are working normally in WMR.

Any help is highly appreciated.

Last edited:
I use OpenComposite system-wide install, with this option there is no need to replace the openvr_api.dll with the one from OpenComposite. Content Manager with OpenVR in Video settings. Open XR Toolkit enabled.

Last edited:
Hi, thanks for your input.

I tried the system-wide install and I got this error message (please see the attachment.)

Does it perhaps matter if the AC folder is in another location, such as C:\Program Files\Assetto Corsa?

I don't see any other reason why this would not work. Strangely enough, the game doesn't work anymore with Steam either.

Attachments

• err.jpg
    err.jpg
    56.5 KB · Views: 63
Last edited:
You need to switch the runtime of WMR to OpenXR using Windows Mixed Reality OpenXR Tools.
1705179405582.png

To revert to OpenVR Runtime you have to do it in SteamVR options

Thanks for your help. I really appreciate it.
Where can I find these settings?
Via regedit perhaps?
I have never seen this. I read tons of instructions and people generally install the OpenComposite tool and everything starts to work. ;-)

From MS Store get the app

Check this video. There is a very good graphical explanation from min 2:50:

OpenXR will work with both runtimes, SteamVR and WMR (OpenXR), but OpenComposite only will work with WMR Runtime (for a WMR headset)

Okay, thanks. I watched that video earlier, but as I mentioned, everyone simply installs OpenComposite, and it works for them. However, I'm having trouble getting it to run, and now I can't get Steam to work either.

I have installed the OpenXR Toolkit already. Do I neeed the OpenXR Tools for WMR as well?

Where can I switch that? You wrote earlier "in SteamVR options".
I already uninstalled Steam as the game no longer worked with it.

When OpenXR tools are opened there is a tab "mixed reality" which says: the WMR MR OpenXR is installed and active.
My WMR Runtime looks exactly like yours.

Attachments

• xr.jpg
    xr.jpg
    166.9 KB · Views: 55
Last edited:
You are in the correct runtime for OpenComposite. If you install and launch SteamVR it will be through OpenXR and in the settings menu you will see the option to change to OpenVR.

Attachments

• 1705277194816.png
    1705277194816.png
    387 KB · Views: 94
Reactions: 9XI
I found the error.

I replaced all default ini files in CFG folder (c\:users\username\documents\assetto corsa) the game started to work.
After comparison of each ini file I discovered that this was causing the blank screen.
AASAMPLES=2" was somehow set to AASAMPLES=1 in video.ini.
Looks like MSAA setting is crucial for the VR to work properly. At least in my case.

Now I'm eager to try opencomposite again. ;)

Thank you for your help, @Jozhua.

Latest News

What is the reason for your passion for sim racing?

• Watching real motorsport

Votes: 519 68.5%
  • Physics and mechanics

Votes: 322 42.5%
  • Competition and adrenaline

Votes: 342 45.1%
  • Practice for real racing

Votes: 168 22.2%
  • Community and simracers

Votes: 203 26.8%
Back