AC FWD vs RWD@Jarama, Wed 8 May

Assetto Corsa Racing Club event
Great fun, I like this track.

Had a great offline practice run on sunday, couldn't repeat that in P and Q, couldn't get in the zone, but managed to get a decent laptime in for P5 on the grid.

Race, I had a pretty safe start, lost not that many places, luckily. But got involved in a lap two turn one collision with Jari, have to see the replay first to judge that. Just to be safe on the Golden Rule thingy, I waited for Jari. Half the field flying by...

{edit after replay: not shure about this one, Jari was on racing line, turning in sharp, contact on my nose, both spinning , I was inside on a different line, but not like a bowling ball or something, so I'd make it a racing accident. If I see that wrong, please let me know, happy to learn! > I gave lots of positions back, so, paid my dues anyway). Braking and turning into the corner at the best line is still something I practice a lot and needs improving.

Pitted when Kimi was on my tail after his pitstop and then had a long chase to Rico. And for this one time since a lot of races, my pace was just a tad quicker than Rico's (you're improving sooo fast man! can't keep up with you in consistency) so lap by lap I could take some tenths off. And a lap later, Rico countering that, big fun!! But he still had to pit, a shame man, was a great stint. Able to do a couple of .47's, when I got in the zone, felt good (like last sunday practice), still no PB though.

After that, I had a rear view mirror battle with Ernie after his pitstop. He was on a rope for a few laps, but he watched my weak spots and saved it all up for the second to last lap and made a nice T1 pass, nice! A bit of the same thing like my experience with Jari in lap 2, this time I was on the outside line, but I saw Ernie inside on the radar and tried not to kill him. And that worked as we both stayed alive;)

So, back to P10, finishing third in MX5 class, happy with that!

Congrats to the aliens on the podium, Fulvio, Jason and KImi!

Thanks Han, have a great holiday.

See you guys at Brands Hatch next week, a great track for this multi-class!

Last edited:
Had a good fun during this race, some good battles too ! Very happy to be back on track in those conditions !
Track was good, and MX5 Cup is always a pleasure to drive.

Very happy about the pole too (although I know the 2 Abarths [at least] would have done a better lap), even though I couldn't convert it better during the race because of happy little mistakes :p

Thanks HF for this event, I'm looking forward to do other ones ! :D

Had a good fun during this race, some good battles too ! Very happy to be back on track in those conditions !
Track was good, and MX5 Cup is always a pleasure to drive.

Very happy about the pole too (although I know the 2 Abarths [at least] would have done a better lap), even though I couldn't convert it better during the race because of happy little mistakes :p

Thanks HF for this event, I'm looking forward to do other ones ! :D
Congrats on the pole man! And some good racing there :thumbsup:

Last edited:
Great race the t1 lap1 and t1 lap2 was simply amazing feeling like Neo :roflmao: , congratz to Jason for p2 amazing pace as always have to say i was alot surprised by your speed in the uphill section . well done to Kimi for p3 making the podium only abarths :thumbsup: .thank you Han as always for hosting :thumbsup:

Well. My first online race was not exactly a resounding success.....

Apologies to all for the rolling chicane, a 1.50 lap time is not good enough to run with you chaps.

Did I enjoy it... mmm. Not really, very frustrating.

Will I be back next time? Yes!

Afraid you have me whether you like it or not.

Till the next time!

Paul

I some how instinctively know which races are not going to go well, probably why when they do go well, I get that great buzz from it. Unfortunately I am usually correct as it was that way with Jarama.
First, got caught in the first corner shunt, I was just going backwards.
Tried to act as a trailer and at least try and make some places back, followed Fulvio, did not expect him to brake, just to eloquently flow up the inside with me acting as his trailer. Well that did not go well, more places lost.:(
Hoped to catch Han in the pit stop, knowing how they chugg out the pits, manged to bugger that up as well, dissappered into the wall.
Oh well, never mind. So well done all that finished, especially those who were in front of me. Had some great battles, very fair and to be honest, may not seem like it, but really enjoyed this race.
Just don't pick this circuit again. :(

Apologies to all for the rolling chicane, a 1.50 lap time is not good enough to run with you chaps.

Till the next time!

Paul
Please keep coming back, Paul! You did great, actually. Driving in the back isn’t that easy and you will grow in racing skills. We’ve all been there. Just keep trying and practicing.

Bouke

Till the next time!

Paul
That was really a great debute with us, Paul! You not far of the midfield which is quite impressive for a first time.
As a tip for next races: concentrate on consistency first rather than on fast laptimes. As you look at the results posted by Bouke above you will see that there's a correlation between position and consistency.
So first try to get all of your laptimes within one second of eachother before trying to break your PB.

Really enjoyed tonight's race. I got a decent start and managed to avoid the stationary cars in turn 1. Had some really good battles throughout however two big mistakes saw me spin and end up facing the wrong way on track with the pack heading straight for me. Froze until they had all passed however by then I was back in 18th where I stayed.
Despite the final result I had a great time, also this was the first time racing using VR (Pico4) and it made a huge difference.
Roll on next week and Brands Hatch.
Thanks Gavin

Man, that was a fun race! :roflmao:

Glad I signed up even if it was last minute and had little practice done. I managed to get into the 49s consistently and snipped a few 48s when it mattered, including qualy. I had a relative good start, nabbed a place but going into the first corner I was the ham in a multiclass sandwich... barely managed to go through but on exit got a punterino that spun me around, leaving me facing the wrong way. :confused:

Once everyone got by my old friend 'Recovery Race' jumped in the car and put me to work... climbing up the grid was not an easy task in this track but surely a lot of fun. Had really good chases, scraps and switcharoos that made the race very enjoyable until the very last lap. The new wheel rim got a good baptism of fire, I'm very happy with it, it feels smoother than my old rim and the shift paddles are much better, being magnetic. It's a keeper! :thumbsup:

It was great to be behind the wheel again with my favourite multiclass crew. The Pace is strong with Jose and Boukâh has found his inner alien. I got my homework cut! Congratulations to the winners and podium finishers and thank you for organising it Han, also for setting up the coming races, hope you enjoy your holiday... bring us a good local track as a souvenir! :D

Last edited:
Thanks all for racing. It was a great event with such a lot of drivers.
Impressive performance of the Abarth drivers.

I will be away for the next two weeks but Paul Fairweather will take over. Next week first Brands Hatch and the week after Monaco as discussed yesterday in the after race Discord chat.

Last edited:
Thanks for the race last night gents. Was fun to race again. First time back in about two years, so I was just making sure I dont end somebody's race on the first lap or two. "Forgot" that racing and hotlapping is so different. Spun out on second lap as I got onto the curb at the downhill lefthander as there was a car to my right. Luckily only lost 5 - 8 seconds. I then had a fun battle for about 5 laps with Jose. I was quicker than him in the places you cant overtake, so sat behind him for a while until I could get a better exit off the final turn before the long straight. Got past him and tried to catch Ricardo, but he was about 12 seconds ahead. Slowly started catching Ricardo, but by the time I was hitting 1:49's consistently the race was over and i was about 6 seconds or so behind him.

Happy with the race and it was a nice track with some tricky turns.
Thanks for organising Han and I will try and partake more regularly again. Add some more competition towards the back of the pack :).

After two podiums in a row it was Jarama that put my feet back on the ground. I could just not get used to this track. Even put some extra hours into practice because I liked the flow of it. During the weekend I did a 48.2xx with a potential of 47.8xx, but it wasn't until the last few laps of the race I finally broke that barrier. Without good pace I was hoping the only trick I know would help me out: consistency. But even that failed me as my lap times were all over the place :D

Had a good start, avoided some crashes and ended up in P5 in the second lap, sandwiched between Fulvio and Jason. My good start came to a halt in the same lap when I clipped the curb on the penultimate corner and spun off the track. That marked the 23698th time I made myself look like an idiot in front of an alien... Afraid to ruin anyone else's race, I waited for a gap to return to the track and ended up in the back.

Had a couple of overtakes into T1 and a great fight with Paulo and Raul as we kept it really close for a couple of laps. You were fast and consistent Paulo! It was a lot of fun and it reminded me of the first few races we did together :)

Then came a long, lonely stint where I had gaps in front to Jari and behind me to Bouke. They were just too fast for me though. I had a couple of OKish laps, but just couldn't put in consistent lap times. Right before I pitted, Bouke was really close. It would've been fun to have a bit of a battle, but I had a low fuel setup and wasn't sure if I would've survived a few more laps. Just go faster next time, Bouke! :p Naww just kidding, you were fast around here. In fact, I might've cursed a bit (in a positive way!) when I saw you break that 48 barrier :p
Regarding your comment about my pace/progress: I still think you're the faster driver between us. When I'm faster, it's just a couple of hundredths, but when you're faster it goes into the tenths. You just need to work a bit on your consistency and spend some skill points in Luck to avoid crashes and you'll get those podiums.

It was great to see so many drivers again! Really makes these events that more special and rewarding. So you guys better keep coming back! The newcomers and returning drivers did great.

Congrats to the podium and hope to see you all again next week! Except Han; may he have a nice couple of weeks off :)

Last edited:
What a great time racing! Love this track, thank you Jose for putting up this amazing track on the poll. I love the old school Iberian tracks. Maybe Estoril, Valencia, Barcelona soon? @HF2000

I was not expecting much, just a relaxing time having downloaded the track only on race day and struggling to get a stableish setup for most of the practice session. Was very happy with the big grid and with more new people joining in. Special welcome to @RFE3rd for not being an alien so I can race wheel to wheel with you :p

I knew I was racing in the 1.49s group of Ricardo, Richard, Jose and me. So I was surprised to be starting next to @Dzul . I got pinballed against you on t1 but the recovery race was so much fun and I was shocked to be able to keep up with up for a while. Just checked the replay and it was a green abarth that pushed me into you and I guess he should have waited for us but since I had so much fun during the race I cannot be bothered to even check who that was.
It was super nice to see @zn1zn2c and @Dzul fighting behind me for laps and I knew as long as you kept fighting each other and I could to the last couple of corners well I was safe. If you guys had taken turns at passing me I'm sure it would not take that much longer but well, better for me :p. Eventually I made that mistake and seeing I did not have the right exit speed and the fight was over I pitted immediately.

I was happy with my pace almost managing to get to 48's sometimes but it felt under control which is something that is missing from most of my races.

I must say I felt really bad for @Dzul for coming out just behind me(once again) after pitting. What happened, did you miss your pitspot and took longer there or was it the fighting with Rico? No way I undercut you based on clean air racing.

Anyway, more fun defending against Raul until we caught up to Jose and then it was mistake time. Started paying too much attention to him while being pressured which lead to an unfortunate spin. Stupidly enough I did the exact same mistake on the lap after that one.

I figured I could just relax and hotlap until the end but then I saw Ricardo really close to me and with not many laps to go the Portuguese cup was again up for grabs. With 3 laps to go I managed to pass and my fitbit thing agrees that it was a very exciting end to the race.

Congrats to the Podium and thanks @HF2000 for the organization and thank you all for the nice racing.

Brands Hatch is one of my favourites but I can't make it because next week I'll be around Lisbon stuffing myself with Portuguese food so don't feel to bad for me ;)

Unfortunately i was that green Abarth that hit you, I didn't know i hit you into Dzul causing them to spin and thought you were ok since i didnt see you spin. it was a gentle tap that seem'd to launch you forward more that expected and i am sorry for causing you both issues.

Those were very fun laps indeed @pcmoreno ! :D I didn't know you got hit as well but appreciated you waited for me. Don't underestimate your improvements... your pace was strong and without those off-tracks we could have gone doing switcharoos for half the race easily. No worries @Twoddle, lap 1 inchidents happen like that. I've caused a few myself, it's part of racing. Have a good weekend lads, sun's coming! :thumbsup:

Last edited:
Unfortunately i was that green Abarth that hit you, I didn't know i hit you into Dzul causing them to spin and thought you were ok since i didnt see you spin. it was a gentle tap that seem'd to launch you forward more that expected and i am sorry for causing you both issues.
No worries! Indeed I was fine, just a bit way too fast for that corner. Next time, bump me on the corner exit instead :cool:

Latest News

To join the OverTake Racing Club races I want them to be: (multiple choice)

• Free to access

Votes: 231 87.8%
  • Better structured events

Votes: 48 18.3%
  • Better structured racing club forum

Votes: 37 14.1%
  • More use of default game content

Votes: 39 14.8%
  • More use of fixed setups

Votes: 69 26.2%
  • No 3rd party registration pages

Votes: 89 33.8%