rFactor 2 non Steam Development to Cease in "Coming Months"

Paul Jeffrey

Premium
rfactor 2 steam only move.jpg

ISI have released a useful FAQ document aimed at providing some key answers for rFactor 2 owners in the transition from standalone installs to full migration onto the Steam platform.

Following the release on Steam of ISI's flagship title rFactor 2 back in November 2015 it was perhaps inevitable development would shift away from standalone installations over time.
ISI have now confirmed non-Steam rFactor 2 installs will not be supported with new builds and updates in the next few months.

Although the official announcement states that development focus will be geared towards Steam going forward, and only "recommend users convert their copy of rFactor 2 to Steam to fully take advantage of the new features as they become available" the community is in no doubt this means support for non-Steam copies of the game will be coming to an end sooner rather than later for the title.

No doubt this move by ISI makes sense bringing all owners of the game under one platform but the news has already started up quite a few challenging comments from community members invested in the title.

Take a look at the Q&A from ISI below and let us have your opinions in the comments section at the bottom of this article.

ISI FAQ Q&A:

How do I convert to rFactor 2 Steam version?

Here you will find the full instructions on converting rFactor 2 to Steam.

https://commerce.rfactor.net/steam-transfer-form

Can I convert my lifetime online to Steam?
Yes, lifetime will be carried over to your rFactor 2 Steam version.

What happens to my non-Steam yearly online subscription when I convert?
For those who still have a decent amount of time remaining on their account, we can work with them to transfer that time over to Steam. Please use the following email to make the request: steam-up@rfactor.net

Will I still be able to get a Lite version of rFactor 2 on Steam?
To make a “strip down” version of rFactor 2, which looks and behaves exactly like a “Lite” version, you'll simply need to unsubscribe from all content on Steam Workshop.

Can I still install content manually or will I have to use workshop?
No need to choose, both are possible. You will still be able to place .rfcmps and .rfmods in your package folder located in your Steam rFactor 2 directory to install any piece of content manually, exactly the same as before.

Is hosting a dedicated server via Steam very different or more involved?
Actually, Steam offers multiple ways of hosting, and they are all fully compatible.
We now have a dedicated server distribution available via SteamCMD, which functions as a very lightweight version of the Dedicated Server, available to anyone -- no need to log in to the Steam client. Updating the dedicated server distribution is as simple as re-running the command line script once a new Build becomes available.
For Steam client users, via the “Tools” menu in Steam, a separate dedicated server can be installed and will show up as another entry in your gaming library. The server will be auto-updated when new Builds are released, completely maintenance-free for you.
So you can choose between user friendliness and manual flexibility, whichever works best for you.

Will all of my plugins, custom UIs/HUDs, car skins, still be compatible with the Steam version of rFactor 2?
Yes, all external plugins, car skins, and customs UIs/HUDs that are currently compatible with your non-Steam version of rFactor 2 should be fully compatible with the Steam version.

How much longer will the non-Steam version of rFactor 2 be updated?
The update following Build 1084 will be the last update of the non-Steam version.

Will I still be able to run rFactor 2 non-Steam and put up a non-Steam dedicated server in the future?
Yes, there are no plans to remove this feature.

What will happen to the non-Steam matchmaker?
It will continue into the future as well.

I run a league and we might need to stay on a previous Build, is that possible in Steam?
Yes, you can select a previous version.

What do you think of moving over to Steam? Use rF2 on Steam already? What do you think? Let us know in the comments section below!

Last edited:
I am not sure wether it is a smart move in terms of customer support, especialy regarding people who fear steam for what ever reason and baught it because of the non-steam support. I am sure we all know about the pros and cons of steam but from my POV alot of this is unfounded. All I can say is that it works perfectly on my end. There are a few things that could be improved (like notification wich workshop item gets upgraded) but that's about it. In my opinion it offers the best mod management for any game yet and as you can set up several installs I don't see a reason why people are still crying about this problem. Over the beta tab you can even adjust wich version of rF2 you want to have installed. It is totaly flexible and easy to use in my opinion.

Anyway, what I know for sure is, that it is the right decision from a development standpoint to streamline the process. People who complain about slow updates and scream for the freedom of choice should remain silent.

As is wrote somewhere else, you could discuss, if this decision is stupid or not, but there is no way (IMHO) how they did it. This is really an effrontery, to say after next build, we`re done with you, stupid non steam customer. Unbelievable!

And TBH, development speed would not faster, without non steam version. I would bet on that...

Just done the transfer to steam.... have been using steam for years and have absolutely no probs with it nowadays
but have to agree with others in saying it was a bit Bold of iSi to just drop non-steam support like this and can understand people that are not such big fans of steam being a little p*ssed off right now.

Had my steam key instantly today after reading this news, have 172 days left on my online licence, waiting for that to transfer, well I emailed the address given. Anybody else transferred their online access already(not lifetime)?

"just dropped non-steam suppot"... well, when ISI went to Steam, they hinted that the non-Steam version would possibly go away in the future. Now we're warned that there will be one more build release and then it will go away. So 2-3 months before last non-Steam build and then another 2-3 months before the build after makes non-Steam become outdated. Which means they're giving us 4-6 months official notice after 6 months of unofficial notice.

Do I like it? No, but the handwriting was on the wall 6 months ago.

As is wrote somewhere else, you could discuss, if this decision is stupid or not, but there is no way (IMHO) how they did it. This is really an effrontery, to say after next build, we`re done with you, stupid non steam customer. Unbelievable!

And TBH, development speed would not faster, without non steam version. I would bet on that...

You know that each build takes it's own development time to get release ready and additional testing time, that is needed to test different RC's for each update. So ofcourse it will speed up development time and make working on the software more efficient. What you believe or bet is irrelevant - development will be more focused towards one software build that is released on one single platform, wich is rather nice from my POV.

From a marketing or customer standpoint you are kind of right, though I don't see any reasoning why people should be scared of rF2 in Steam tbh. You just say that it is **** and that's it. Pretty short sighted if you ask me. Maybe you should just give it a try and see f it is really that terrible. ;)

ISI`s statement is"The update following Build 1084 will be the last update of the non-Steam version."
Does somebody know if the following Build 1084 is also final Build to Steam users. Maybe ISI is only going to update Steam futures.

...Do I like it? No, but the handwriting was on the wall 6 months ago.

Well, it was written on the wall, but very different...

Will a non-Steam version continue to be sold?
We will continue to sell a non-steam version for an undefined period. We may look to wind down new sales on the non-Steam version, but much like rF1, this is probably a long-term transition, if it happens at all.

For me this was clearly an advertise for not discontinue the non steam version for a long peroid.

ISI`s statement is"The update following Build 1084 will be the last update of the non-Steam version."
Does somebody know if the following Build 1084 is also final Build to Steam users. Maybe ISI is only going to update Steam futures.
If you have read the latest interview with ISI, some answers where really strange and look what happened now. I dont know, but never say never...

• Deleted member 130869

I wonder if we shall see a shift in the way components are handled. I presume the shift to Steam is for ease of rolling out smaller updates instead of core fixes. I may be overreaching in assumption, as that would require a new way for content to be distributed, moving away from the longstanding component style.

More and more RF2 was becoming my go to SOLELY for the fact that there was no requirement to start up Steam just to play.

D*ck move.

They make d*ck moves all the time.

No less the people beta tested for over 4 years and never got a discount to full version.

Instead at the same time they gave new users 1/2 price.

They are still yet to update and implement features on cars I like.
I will never believe another thing they say.

hello,

i am not realy happy about to force people to use steam for rf2, as i did buy rf2 without steam,
but i will do jump to steam rf2,
i am not so good in english and i do not exactly know what happen then if i do this.

-will be my NOT rf2 install copy 1:1 to steam, with all the mods i have already installed?
-or will only be in steam install then the orginal ISI content, tracks and cars and i must then manuel copy the addon tracks/cars again?
-and can i do it the same way, like in NOT steam, download a mod.,then drop it in "packages" and then do in rf2 menü make it install, which was a very good from ISI in past.
-if my player settings will not be copy to steam automatic, can i then copy my settings, like wheel button settings and all the other settings from NOT steam to steam rf2? or must i do make a new player profile and must spend again long time to have all like i will have?

thanks for answear

servus

-will be my NOT rf2 install copy 1:1 to steam, with all the mods i have already installed?
-or will only be in steam install then the orginal ISI content, tracks and cars and i must then manuel copy the addon tracks/cars again?

I would recommend you start by installing the basic rFactor 2 installation through Steam. It will take a while to download, but it is by far the easiest way to get started.

-and can i do it the same way, like in NOT steam, download a mod.,then drop it in "packages" and then do in rf2 menü make it install, which was a very good from ISI in past.

Yes, that still works just like it did with the non-Steam version and this is also the quickest way to re-install all the mods you had before. So just copy those from your non-Steam install and use the package manager in the Launcher to install them.

-if my player settings will not be copy to steam automatic, can i then copy my settings, like wheel button settings and all the other settings from NOT steam to steam rf2? or must i do make a new player profile and must spend again long time to have all like i will have?

I would recommend you copy your existing profile. That saves you a lot of work. The only difference is that Steam will automatically backup all your car setups to the cloud, which means that if you later install rFactor on a different computer, those will be immediately available again. We don't backup your player, controller and multiplayer settings because a lot of information in those can be system/hardware specific.

Hope this helps!

Streamlining the update process could potentially make the development faster. Like I said before though, I'll believe it when I see it. At this point I just don't trust in anything ISI says. I'm not accusing them of lying, I just think they themselves have no bloody idea what they want to do with the sim.

I think the transition was mostly dictated by their desire to sell mods in the future. Tim has stated that they would probably use steam's DLC to distribute at least some of that content. It makes sense considering it would essentially be DLC except outsourced to teams that don't share ISI's glacial pace of development. It also makes it easier to release small updates and bug fixes to those mods instead of monthly build updates.

Latest News

What's needed for simracing in 2024?

• More games, period

• Better graphics/visuals

• Advanced physics and handling

• More cars and tracks

• AI improvements

• AI engineering

• Cross-platform play

• New game Modes

• Other, post your idea

Results are only viewable after voting.