RDRC S9 Round 5 - Rally Spain (29th March - 4th April 2021)

One to forget. Probably lost any chance for the fight to 8th place.

1st stage - went with wets to survive the 3rd stage, lost time was ok.
2nd stage - rear a bit outside the road on a 2 right with spectators, car forcefully reset to a full stop and 8s penalty.
3rd stage - went wide and hit a slope to the right at speed, car rolled slowly from upside down for a long time. Started moving in wrong direction until I reversed later (thanks CM, for the useless warning that only pops up very late). About 18s lost there on a stage I had nearly the obligation to end in 2nd best vs. current times, as I was on wets just for it.
4th stage - went wide and gone downhill. Car was forcefully reset while driving back to road, 14s (?) extra penalty.
5th stage - while pushing to keep ~2s to leading, spun my car on a 1 left and lost about 7s. F*ck it.
All other dry stages went decently, other than a slow S10 with completely busted softs. No further accidents or spins on second half.

GL all

Last edited:
..:: MÜLLER MOTORSPORT - EASTER EDITION - RALLY REPORT - SPAIN 2021 ::..

So here's how the rally at Spain went for the Müller Motorsport crew.
As you could see on the stream, it was Paul to set the pace for the team and the first three stages went really well for him...
20210329195911_1.jpg

Even the third stage when he had to go on softs through the wet was no problem for Paul.
20210329201006_1.jpg

After the short service there were two long stages in wet conditions and Paul hit a tree early in the first of those stages. He had to reverse the car and lost some time. More criticial was the fact that he lost a bit of confidence in the cars performance - at least that's what he said on the teams' radio several times.

Search the car...
20210329201019_1.jpg

Going sideways a bit too much...
20210329201101_1.jpg

20210329202147_1.jpg

During the night stage he had a spin as the tyres were done and he pushed to hard on the dry roads...
For the following 4 long stages Paul chose the soft tyres and had 3 good stages right afterwards.
On the fourth stage he got a bit too wide in the early five left, rolled the car twice and got a puncture which he had to repair...
20210329210851_1.jpg

20210329210942_1.jpg

The car wasn't that much damaged at the service park and he could push on the last two stages of the rally. He spun another time on SS11 but had a good last stage.
20210329211448_1.jpg

Currently he's sitting in P6, about 13hrs before the end.
His run can be watched re-live here:

Right after Paul it was Lutz to get his Delta HF on the twisty tarmac. Paul's pace wasn't that bad beside the 2 spins and the puncture, so at the time Lutz got on the track Paul was the one to beat.
20210329220330_1.jpg

Lutz flew over the roads, cut as often as he was told to and had a 10s lead after the first three stages. Ok but not comfortable at all.
20210329220642_1.jpg

20210329221309_1.jpg

20210329222808_1.jpg

On the first long stage in wet conditions, where Paul hit that lonely tree, Lutz was faster by 23s, another 6s on the following long wet stage and during the night stage, when Paul spun off the track, he made another 10s on him.
20210329223443_1.jpg

20210329223453_1.jpg

20210329224025_1.jpg

Lutz also went into the 4 long stages on soft tyres the following day. He pushed hard on the first stage when the tyres were fresh and made another 11s on Paul.
With having a minute less on the clock than his teammate, Lutz took it a bit too easy the next stages...
So the teamowner had to talk with him during the short service and remind him of all those fast lads, that were yet to come.

The car was ok, just the bodywork got a few scratches during the run on the last two stages.

The power stage went really good as he grabbed 8s on Paul.

Currently Lutz is sitting in P3, having set the 3rd fastest time on the PS and someof the fast guys are already behind him or even retired... So this could get interesting in the remaining 13hrs...

See his run here - and subscribe if you like :thumbsup:

Happy Easter to you all - see you in NZE :whistling:

very weird: my best stage compared to the others' times, was the night run (stage6) with a nearly busted engine making very sad noises and not giving me much power. Should get my car in that condition from the outset, seems that's i need a near dead lancia to be quick. weird.

sp9jpg-03.jpeg
sp3jpg-02.jpeg

Final run completed and my god that was a thrilling one.

The four long stages (SS7-SS10) were a huge challenge both in terms of focus and judging how much grip I had in my used medium tires. I managed to survive. Had plenty of minor mistakes though. I once even missed one corner on SS8 and went through bushes thankfully avoiding hitting anything that would stop me from returning to the road. Unfortunately the windshield was broken after that and it was a bit though to see.

That and plenty of small hits meant my car looked like this at the end of SS10. I still managed to put decent times and the gap to my main rival Tommie Lindberg was just a second before the final two stages.

Dirt Rally 2 Screenshot 2021.04.03 - 14.49.06.79 2.jpg

I repaired what I could and it was time for the last two stages.

Looking at Tommie's great times I knew that I will need to be really fast if I want to be in front of him at the end. In general I try to drive at 90% to avoid crashing. This left me with a dilemma. Do I risk everything to try to stay in front of him or take it easy and make sure I finish?

I decided to give it all I have.
And oh my god I don't think I ever pushed this hard in any rally. Everything felt right corner after corner and I believe I did the best job I could've done. It felt fantastic and the times showed that. I managed to finish 5 seconds in front of Tommie and keep my position (2nd for now).

Incredible fight with Peter Roche throughout the whole rally, it's been really fun following your times!! In the end you came out on top, but this is what it's all about so big congrats to you :thumbsup:

Thank you so much for this fight Tommie! Chasing your times was such a thrilling fun and I absolutely loved it.

sp7jpg-02.jpeg

Some great times there! Particularly on stage 7, I think there's definitely been some disagreement on tyre strategy for stages 7-10. Sadly I wasted what was left of my medium's on SS10 but I'd still not have got near your total time, well done!
Thanks! Fighting against your splits was really fun. First stages of day 2 went really well, did a quick comparison in tire wear and there wasn't much in it between the two so went with the softs. They held pretty well, especially since I had clean runs throughout the day.

..The damage to my car from that single impact is so extensive that I'm considering retiring the car..
No retirement yet; I decided I could not pass up on the opportunity to make an even bigger fool of myself..:D
So I told the mechanics to fix just engine and radiator, and that we'd take a 30 sec. time penalty for that.
No time to fix the turbo, gearbox, geometry, bodywork, lights and then some. That would all take well over another hour to fix.
Without lights the night stage might get eh.. interesting, but we'll worry about that when we get there.

After the repairs were done, it turned out that the guys had loosely reattached some body panels as well, as well as replaced some bulbs:thumbsup:
ss4patchedup.jpg

However, pretty early in SS4 I had another serious crash -with a reset- but miraculously without punctures, so apart from the time lost we could carry on..
ss4crash1.jpg
ss4crash2.jpg
ss4crash3.jpg

After that, visibility was somewhat limited, and I was still a little dizzy so instead of just turning on the wipers, I slowed down to a crawl searching for the change camera key on my keyboard. Even more time lost.
ss4visibility.jpg

The rest of the stage went ok-ish, as did SS5. I even enjoyed the luxury of a fully functional lights bar!
ss5_1.jpg

SS6, the night stage, did not go that well. A spin and a little offroad trip seriously slowed me down.
ss6crash1.jpg
ss6crash2.jpg

It did make for pretty pictures though!
ss6_1.jpg
ss6_2.jpg

So now we're off to assess the current damage situation, and see what can be fixed before starting Day 2. Who knows how far we might get before time runs out..

Good news, I finished. Not so good, the first 3 stages went ok but a bit off pace.
20210402172838_1.jpg

Stages 4 and 5 were again ok but I was still lacking that extra pace.
20210402205121_1.jpg

20210402210148_1.jpg

Stage 6 and as in previous events I pushed it too far. I hit a roadside barrier and got a puncture but instead of repairing the puncture I carried on, only to hit another barrier this time wiping out almost all of my lights. So the puncture repair and driving in the dark did a lot of damage to my time on stage 6.
20210402212249_1.jpg

20210402213015_1.jpg

All was repaired ready for the second half of the rally.
Bemused by some of my co drivers calls ( left 3 .................................don't cut) I had picked up more damage in the following stages and at the next service I had to settle for some quick fixes to get the car ready for the final stint.
The quick repairs held up for the final 2 stages but with the finish line almost in sight I came round a bend and clipped a rock doing a 720 before limping over the finish line.

I had a blast!

Despite hating tarmac physics in Dirt Rally 2, the Spain stages were, by far, the best ones i did so far in this championship.

First stage with small mistakes and only 1.6s behind LYTORXX, (usually is more than 10 sec.) and then stage 2 win. First thought "he's on wets".

Stage 3, carefull aproach to sector 1, only 0,5 slower... "i got this".... i dont :p too greddy in a fast turn and the car goes round and round and round :p flat tire

As the rally went on, so did the little mistakes and a after a good Stage 5 i ruined the rally in stage 6 with a flat tire and few recoverys. Stage 7 went the same way bringing engine damage with it. Only one mode was able to the rest of the day, and it was full atack. Even with a damaged car i was able to clock some great times in the remaing stages. The last 2 i had a almost repaired car, engine was 100% but aligment was bad. Enough to 2nd in the power stage by now.

Feel free to check the onboard here:
(dont look at the wheel app, it had bad settings)

As promissed before here's a pic of the "5 weeks fresh" skin.

See you soon and thanks for one more well organised rally.

20210403105708_1.jpg

Much to my own surprise, I did NOT DNF, but actually made it to the end!! :)

Before starting Day 2 of the rally, my mechanics and I decided to fix everything but the lights and bodywork, and once more take a time penalty for doing so as this would be our best shot at actually finishing the rally.

So with the best car I've had since SS2 I started SS7 at a rather conservative pace..
ss7_1.jpg

which went pretty well so I did the same on SS8 and SS9
ss8_1a.jpg

ss8_2.jpg

speed_1.jpg

also, rounding the hairpin went smoother and smoother with every attempt::cool:
hairpin_1.jpg

However, come SS10 my tires or brakes (or both) were seriously worn, as I found out in the 3rd corner already:
ss10crash_1.jpg

ss10crash_2.jpg

Didn't make it around the corner and bounced off the track; at some point my car was completely submerged in the undergrowth..:confused:
ss10crash_3.jpg

However, like a Phoenix from the ashes bushes I rose again and continued, albeit at an even more careful (read:slow :D) pace
ss10crash_4.jpg

So at the last service, once more we fixed every mechanical issue with the car, and this time even within the set time limit! No time penalty!
And since SS11 and SS12 were quite familiar territory by now, I now dared to push a little more and safely finished this time, neatly inbetween the signs! :D

ss12_1.jpg

ss12_2.jpg

ss12finish.jpg

Sorry for spamming the tread with more screenshots. Again. But I'm just so happy I actually finished.

Really, my mechanics are the best!!
And my marketing people are amazing too, securing all these sponsors!
Actually.. it's becoming more and more obvious that the weakest link in our team is.. err.. well...ehm... :whistling:

CYA next time (if I don't get sacked first, that is :roflmao:)

Last edited:

Latest News

What would make you race in our Club events

• Special events

Votes: 76 29.0%
  • More leagues

Votes: 54 20.6%
  • Prizes

Votes: 56 21.4%
  • Trophies

Votes: 32 12.2%
  • Forum trophies