RaceRoom’s FIGHTBACK plan with studio lead Jean-François Chardon - Podcast INTERVIEW

00:00 - 01:43 Introduction
01:43 - 03:50 J-F Head of Studio
03:50 - 04:40 RaceRoom dev team
04:40 - 07:49 The current state of RaceRoom
07:49 - 11:44 New UI
11:44 - 13:30 New back-end code
13:30 - 18:20 History of RaceRoom
18:20 - 22:31 Taking back control
22:31 - 24:35 GTR3
24:35 - 25:40 KW's involvement
25:40 - 27:24 Night driving, new engine
27:34 - 28:09 Expanding team
28:09 - 31:18 Engine sounds and tracks
31:18 - 42:00 DLC roadmap
42:00 - 44:14 WTCR and DTM rights
44:14 - 47:10 Anti-cheat protection
47:10 - 50:04 New online structure
50:04 - 52:50 In control

I skipped straight to the night driving, new engine and expanding the team.

Still the same jargon they have been saying for the past 10yrs.

"Were looking into it, wether it be possible, dx upgrade or new engine"

I personally, would like to see some track tech updates.
Ex. New meshes, dynamic track, track rubbering and loose surface physics added.

I've enjoyed this title but I still believe they should have remastered the Race07 engine at least it had day to night, along with rain.

At some point, you have to seriously consider an engine upgrade or Raceroom 2....you can only milk content for so long on an aging engine.

Last edited:
Engine needs an upgrade. Everything else is great, but I can't even run it on my VR headset, as its too high res. More and more they will hit compatibility issues I think, as tech moves forward.

Jean contradicted himself regarding the cheat possibilities.

"There is not a known way, it's always going to be a chase, they will come up with a way of bypassing it but at least we are making it hard"

Followed by :
"You can go in ranked with absolute certainty that the other guy isn't cheating"

Not exactly a crime, perhaps a slip of the tongue?, but as far as cheat detection goes there's no such thing as absolute certainty.

The podcast seemed quite good and generally positive, but didn't address the elephant in the room, in that racerooms peak player numbers have been in constant decline over the past 12 months or so. If that trend isn't addressed, things could quickly go pear shaped for them.

Last edited:
I'm not really a fan of sims that are viewed as online sims only in the mould of the likes of iracing - maybe I'm mistaken and it's not quite like that but either way it's enough for me not to even bother with it. Having proper offline support and a LAN mode for when a game's server come to an end is crucial to me. If this game is in decline maybe open it up and let modding happen on it - the new gen of sims are due so maybe give more selling points and besides people will always buy quality DLC from raceroom. I love the game engine BTW and race gtr2/race 07 alot and I know this is an even better version. I was comparing graphics for AMS1 and AMS2 on my triples and the jump up isn't that much - not enough to dump AMS1 which is far better driving sim than AMS2 - I feel the same with raceroom. Maybe developers get on with dxvk/dlss/ single pass stereo or even be early participates of rtx remix which in the up and coming future will enable dx9 engines to do more (I hope).

Last edited:

Latest News

What's needed for simracing in 2024?

• More games, period

• Better graphics/visuals

• Advanced physics and handling

• More cars and tracks

• AI improvements

• AI engineering

• Cross-platform play

• New game Modes

• Other, post your idea