Race Remaster

AndreasFSC

Too much going on...
banner.png

(picture just for inspiration, not menu art. "Race Remaster" is the working title of the project)

I have had an idea and a dream for a long time to make a Race 07 remaster.
This is the plan for the moment:

Contents:
Updates and tweaks to WTCC 06 - 07
Tracks from WTCC 06 - 07

An addon tracks pack (Imola, Estoril, Hockenheim) and STCC ('08, '10) cars and tracks packs will probably follow after that.

WTCC '07 and '06 cars are updated (mesh normals, minor texture fixes, talent, physics + more)
Tracks are updated (new shader materials, texture fixes, normals + more)

Graphics:
new shaders and graphics fixes by others that wants to contribute, a little bit like the excellent gtr2 anniversary patch by @GTR233.

Shader work is done, might need some last minute tweaks.
HD skies from @GTR233 are included
Realistic windscreen effects from @TMSRace are also included.

0724.jpg

Menu:
New reworked menus mainly based on original,
concept art by@Sven Hielscher
adopted and added to the game by me. The result is not as true to the concept as intended, mostly because of lack of time. It might be more like the concept in the future.

(Intro video: @CRJ_UK will help us making this)

Misc:
add menu support for CC plugin/companian by @mucho.
Some player file optimizations should now be included in the game if a new profile is created. The game now support pitcrews by itself. Still problem with some car mods, but pitcrews can be turned off.
(Would also like to make the game search for talent files in team directories, to avoid adding years to driver names, but no luck so far)

Installer:
almost finished, but will be completely finished last thing.
The installer can upgrade Race 07 to "Race Remaster", make a new Race Remaster install from another install or update to new version.

1636809339611.png

Does anyone want to join this ambitious project? :D

Members so far (in alphabetical order):
@AndreasFSC
@CRJ_UK
@Incredible Hulk
@MJQT
@MrRandom287
@Sven Hielscher

Last edited:
I'd love to see a compilation mod for Race 07 like GTR233's Anniversary Patch for GTR2.

It's so nice to just have an all-in-one solution to modernize these older sims.

Why don't you start there? I think there are mods for a lot of what you're talking about. Just contact the authors and ask for permission to add them to a compilation mod and go from there. It's the easiest way to start, I think.

I'd love to see a compilation mod for Race 07 like GTR233's Anniversary Patch for GTR2.

It's so nice to just have an all-in-one solution to modernize these older sims.

Why don't you start there? I think there are mods for a lot of what you're talking about. Just contact the authors and ask for permission to add them to a compilation mod and go from there. It's the easiest way to start, I think.
I have never made a compilation mod, but it would be a really good thing. It should be as easy as possible to install and use

I'd love to see this!

And I'd gladly help out in whatever way possible (although I lack useful modding skills, pretty much). Happy to be a tester, or see if there's some other small way I can help. Music, possibly.
Yes, some music would be nice. I also make some music, but not the right style for a racing game I think

Looking at the list of just your mods and the ammoint of work you have already done for RACE - On, 07, GTR Evo, Injection ... tracks, physics updates, cars, shaders, ... it's almost all there.
Just "compiling" into one package your exiting mods would be nice, refreshing and from the marketing viewpoint it could attract new players to at least try what was so great about those old sims. ;)

Misc: add menu support for time patch, pitcrew patch etc from CC plugin by @mucho. Remove unused things from menus. Maybe a short new intro video?

This part would be great but I don't know is it possible?

Also You started Super Touring Expirience Careeer mod

Maybe some experienced programmer can put it all together.

I remember that Andreas and I had a quick chat about such a project a while ago. Following that, I started putting together some of the patches and tweaks that I collected over the years, although not all and I also skipped some of mine for now. I called it "Race07 Multipatch" and actually thought of publishing it at some point.

Auswahl_078.png

However, I would gladly contribute to and help making "Race07 Remastered" happen, even if I don't really know how much I would be able to contribute in the end :thumbsup:

Looking at the list of just your mods and the ammoint of work you have already done for RACE - On, 07, GTR Evo, Injection ... tracks, physics updates, cars, shaders, ... it's almost all there.
Just "compiling" into one package your exiting mods would be nice, refreshing and from the marketing viewpoint it could attract new players to at least try what was so great about those old sims. ;)
Reading this, I can't help but think of a Super Touring-specific remaster as a starting point. Looks like almost all the work is done! While it's not difficult to download the various ST mods and install bit by bit, it'd obviously be even nicer to have all the features (cars, tracks, UI mod, sounds, tweaks) in a 100% coherent package that you install on top of a default RACE 07+STCC2 install. Perhaps even the Experience career mod, too, if it's ready for general consumption. Only significant annoyance that occurs to me is the 500MB limit RaceDepartment imposes.

A further idea. Someone could whip up a PowerShell script that copies the necessary parts from the default RACE 07 install and puts them in another folder – then you copy the 'remaster' mod files on top to create a 100% dedicated "RACE 07 Super Touring" install. This is something I'd be happy to work on, incidentally.

Note: I've actually been starting planning for something similar with AMS1 and fully simulating the 1998 CART season. But that's a much larger endeavour, with lots of work needing to be done: old rF1 track permissions and conversions, texture and AI updates, tweaks to the cars, oval vs. road course rules...

I like the idea of making a new game version from existing install. Perhaps it could be an option to overwrite or make new version when installing? I don't know what is possible.
Will add pitcrew detail and race start time if the plugin is used.
What mods should be included?

Country flags, car logos, windscreen effects should be included if the authors are ok with that, better sky textures and sun if possible (still don't know exactly how it works) dx9 animated objects. Anything else?

My idea is that it is mostly an update to included contents, with the possibility to add cars and tracks afterwards, people will probably prefer different classes. So it is a remaster to the game itself. If the istallation works it can be used for a Super Touring version too.

About Ui, it's a shame we can not add new fonts, but I think we could use images for headlines if we want a bigger font size in some places. And don't let the technical limits stop your ideas too much, maybe we can invent som new things or get new ideas from your UI "vision".
In one way I was happy with the super touring UI, but I am looking forward to something different this time, and I really like the rfactor 2 skin :thumbsup:

Last edited:
I like the idea of making a new game version from existing install. Perhaps it could be an option to overwrite or make new version when installing? I don't know what is possible.
It's all a matter of how complex and long the script is! Could be an option. I'm inclined to say a script would be most useful for making a new separate install. Otherwise people can just manually paste on top as they normally do today.
IMO the biggest benefit from a separate version would be a dedicated experience tailored to a particular style of racing, where particular mods were needed that you might not want in your normal RACE 07 install.
What mods should be included?

Country flags, car logos, windscreen effects should be included if the authors are ok with that, better sky textures and sun if possible (still don't know exactly how it works) dx9 animated objects. Anything else?
I'm not super familiar with the mod scene in RACE 07 beyond Super Touring, honestly :D but I'd say as many "quality of life" improvements as possible – e.g. the TinyTweaks, option for no bug splatter, option for no visors for open-wheelers. Perhaps XD info plugin and Defviews FOV adjustments as well? Guess it's all a matter of permissions. :)
Options could just be in a folder for the user to paste in if they want. Or could be in a folder and chooseable via a script like GTR233's Anniversary Patch. That's a decision to be made. First option is easier, so better to start with that, probably?
My idea is that it is mostly an update to included contents, with the possibility to add cars and tracks afterwards, people will probably prefer different classes. So it is a remaster to the game itself. If the installation works it can be used for a Super Touring version too.
That makes sense!
Would this be worth posting in AC modding for some support in the project ?
Interesting idea. My opinion: not yet, maybe? IMO, only ask if there's something specific (e.g. track mesh updates) we thought AC modders could help out with. This is for Andreas to decide, though, not me haha.

I will have a closer look at how a mod installer works, probably ask gtr233 for advice if needed. I am quite sure this project will happen, but the question is how good it will be :roflmao:

Let's start small (smart) and aim for the stars (perfection)! :D
Absolutely ;)

New install, selected content, few GB compressed install so it's possible to post on RD in few parts.

In the long run, we have those older "yellowish" tracks.
Few gdb and trk changes can make wonders.
Andreas already started doing updates for some tracks. I played with Istanbul 06 and used gdb lighting values from rf1 Istanbul 2011 mod, and added some trk code from rf1 RFE tracks, plus Bjarne HD Skies.

It would be good if someone more experienced for future "standardise" let's say some new standard for Race GTR EVO tracks.

Istanbul 06 15:30 Default
Istanbul-06-1530-default-gdb-trk.jpg

Istanbul 06 15:30 Edited gdb & trk
Istanbul-06-1530-edited-gdb-trk-1.jpg

Istanbul 06 15:30 Edited gdb & trk
Istanbul-06-1530-edited-gdb-trk-2.jpg

I also have an updated Istanbul track, and some STCC ones, new light settings fixes most of the issues, but haven't got time to pack and upload for a while. New shader version looks promising, but needs to fix the usual transparency issues (that comes back now and then).

Really looking forward to see what a new UI can look like.

Should we drop "07" and just call this Race Remaster? As @Incredible Hulk told me "07" sounds quite old now, and the game has a lot of contents that are not from 2007 anyway.
I would like to add WTCC 17 cars (if someone can help with painting liveries... @Mark0 ??)
I like to add some more modern contents to the game, but TCR is already available and GT cars are in every game. WTCC 17 is obviously also available in Raceroom, but at least it is not that many car models, and I can model most of the exterior car shape in a few days each. Then comes the time consuming fixing, polishing and texture painting, but that is a different story.

Last edited:
I have to admit that 07 sounds old. However, in my opinion we can simply not omit the 07 because "Race" was the title of the predecessor game of "Race07". Instead we could think of switching from Race07 Remaster to GTREvo Remaster. They are basically the same game, but the latter has also so much more to offer, is newer, and also has a timeless title (if that would be a true issue for some).

Yes, good to have some more suggestions :thumbsup:
Race Series Remaster?
Race Evo Remaster?
Race Evo?
I would like to use "Race" with the "R" in some way
or evo Remaster ;)

Last edited:

Latest News

What's needed for simracing in 2024?

• More games, period

• Better graphics/visuals

• Advanced physics and handling