Problems uploading 7z split archives (001, 002)

I've been trying to upload files for a mod that I've had to split into two parts with extensions .7z.001 and .7z.002 and been having huge trouble. RaceDepartment says (even in a pop-up on screen after I try to upload a file) that these file extensions are supported, but every time I upload one of these files, it says that my file type is "disallowed". Is this a bug? Is there a chance there's something I'm doing wrong?

Yeah the .7z.001 and .7z.002 should work OK - puzzled that they aren't working for you.
Edit: Damn, it isn't working for me either. It used to work though... Will have to work out wth has changed.

Last edited:
OK, that's embarrassing. Having checked the source code, it turns out that the extension recognition code only looks at the very last extension, so basically multiple extensions don't work. A file called "blah.7z.001" is regarded as having extension ".001". This must mean that I never properly tested the 001/002/003 stuff when I added it a few months back... :redface:

I have changed the permitted extensions to
.7z_001
.7z_002
.7z_003
(and tested this time!) which is hopefully better than nothing...

Last edited:
Thanks so much for looking into this @Neilski I really appreciate it! :) And always, thanks for all you do with this site, RD staff like @Neilski and @Bram Hengeveld :inlove:

I have changed the permitted extensions to
.7z_001
.7z_002
.7z_003
(and tested this time!) which is hopefully better than nothing...
This could work decently, but it means the user will have to manually rename the files to 7z.001 etc. to be able to extract the split archive. I tested, and 7Zip (sadly but understandably) doesn't understand what to do with a 7z_00x file.

For now, for the mod I was trying to upload, I've just manually separated the files themselves into two folders of roughly equal size. Made a little more work for me, but makes things easiest for the end user, which is good.

FYI what I was uploading was a copy of Touring Car Legends for rFactor 1 -- since more and more sources for rF1 mods are rapidly disappearing, and it's important a significant mod like that survives and can be downloaded in a trustworthy place like RD. It originally shipped as a 900 MB EXE file (hence my desire to use a split archive) and I wanted to maintain the original format, but it's not the end of the world for me to create a 7Z from the raw files after running the EXE.

Last edited:
And if you skip "7z" part to set only "001"
"002"
"003"
as new recognized extensions ?
Check in RD uploader code the lines which authorize "zip", duplicate lines and replace "zip" by "001", then redo the same for "002" and "003".

This could work decently, but it means the user will have to manually rename the files to 7z.001 etc. to be able to extract the split archive. I tested, and 7Zip (sadly but understandably) doesn't understand what to do with a 7z_00x file.
Yeah, renaming the files certainly raises the bar for the users to be paying enough attention to the instructions (hence my "hopefully better than nothing"), possibly to the point where lots of them will fail...

You may just want to try Bram's suggestion quoted here:
Can you drop me a PM with the links to the resource?
...and see if he can work some magic :thumbsup: (Or... see below)
Check in RD uploader code the lines which authorize "zip", duplicate lines and replace "zip" by "001", then redo the same for "002" and "003".
You may also wish to try the above approach @GTR233 ;)
However... nice idea! This had crossed my mind and for some reason I initially rejected it but having just reconsidered it I suddenly couldn't see an issue with it after all, so I've added 001/002/003 as allowed extensions (and tested it, cough) and it's now possible to upload .7z.001 files... :)

I am JCRR creator of the Ronde Cévenole I continue to do rally tracks today for Assetto corsa. I read on this post that you managed to upload 7z files together. 7z.001 7z.002
My next track ( MONT-VENTOUX hillclimb) is 860MB. So I can't upload it to RD. Last time, I created two different uploads on RD (part1, part2). But many people were unhappy with the complexity of having to put the two files together, many downloaded only one of the two files and shouted that it didn't work etc...

Also when I tried to add the 7z.002 file with the attached files button in the upload menu, it told me: "impossible to load two files".

So, is there a solution to be able to put both files in a single page in the download section?

Thank you very much for the answer, I hope I was understandable...

Latest News

What's needed for simracing in 2024?

• More games, period

• Better graphics/visuals

• Advanced physics and handling

• More cars and tracks

• AI improvements

• AI engineering

• Cross-platform play

• New game Modes

• Other, post your idea

Results are only viewable after voting.