No VR=No buy........................:rolleyes:

:D

Thought I'd be the first of the muppets to quote that and get it over with.

What are the options to NASCAR HEAT 3?
I see the community around NR2003 is still very active and plenty of mods and upgrades to the original Papyrus/Sierra NR2003 are still available.

Is it worth getting into in 2018? I have fond memories from way back when NR2003 was current.

I tried Heat 2, and found the handling horrible, with pad or steering wheel. Maybe it presents good, has a complete package and possibly a nice career to do, it's a bad arcade racer to me.

So, I don't think there's a better option for offline AI with a working complete package than NR2003. If you can go past the graphics, you can choose a given year (I started a 1998 championship), download the mod, install a few period accurate tracks, and have tons of fun with one of the best AI.

NH3 is a mixed bag, just like its predecessor, but improved compared to the original NHE.
Settings are console minimal, imho unforgivable for graphics and FFB on PC.

On 1080p the AA filters are very poor on a GTX 1080 - this may have a mix of reasons, but it has been that way since NHE. Unfortunately the way the Unity engine is used precludes most driver side tweaking of the AA settings.

Judging by uploaded high res footage, especially 4k, the AA filtering can seems ok.
But I am not alone reporting the poor 1080p AA, so maybe it is some poorly optimized console leftover. So back to an unforgivable lack of settings for PC.

AI seems to be slower in Quick Race mode, even at higher settings, but go career and Hard / Legend and it will pose more of a challenge.

Racing in general is good, for the type of game, on ovals, speedways and super speedways, imo it is not the same on road tracks. The handling is sub par if you are used to road track racing games, but at least racing on road tracks like Watkins Glen is now a lot better than NHE when the just AI did not know what to do.

The new dirt racing is imo the only reason to take a serious look at NH3 if you have NH2 and you are not a Nascar fan. IMO it is worth it. The new class is fun on the ovals, but again less so on the twisty tracks, which emphasize the less than stellar physics / handling models.

NH3 is a mixed bag and as such it will turn away many people - but if you can look beyond its failings there is still a fun racing experience to be had.

Monster is doing a better job than Eutechnyx in providing a balanced racing game, but their reliance on old Dirt to Daytona basics, Unity engine and console centric options for PC is keeping back their development.

Most of the parts of NH3 are objectively sub par, lucky for Monster the sum somehow seems to drag their game across the finish - barely though and in the spirit of Cars Lightning McQueen, having to stick their tongue out to cross the line with two blown rear tires.

Last edited:
Maybe I was a little too harsh with my comments.

Yes, NASCAR Heat 3 could use better AA, LoD, and certainly more graphics and steering wheel / ffb options for the PC. It could also improve sounds and road track handling.

BUT, if you can look beyond its flaws, NASCAR Heat 3 is a fun NASCAR racer.

In the end I like the parts it does well (but still hope that Monster will replace Unity with the Unreal engine).

I am genuinely interested in options for a current NASCAR sim to do some offline racing.

Lot's of questions for @Paul Jeffrey and users of the series in the past:

1) What is up with the mirrors - they both look strangely distorted in the video?
2) Are triple screen setups supported - how are special resolutions handled by the game?
3) Can the steering wheel + hands be disabled for people running this in a sim rig?
4) Can the view settings be adjusted (FOV, zoom, position, …).
5) How is the replay system - can you do instant replays to rewatch some action, can you load up full replays after a race and easily navigate the replay say with short keys?
6) Are mods generally supported in this series of racing games from the maker?
7) How does this one play with a gamepad on PC (I prefer much rot have a proper sim to run in my rig but maybe this is fun for a quick race once in a while with a game pad)?
8) Can controller and FFB settings perhaps be edited in the file system and improved over the infame menu options?

What are the options to NASCAR HEAT 3?
I see the community around NR2003 is still very active and plenty of mods and upgrades to the original Papyrus/Sierra NR2003 are still available.

Is it worth getting into in 2018? I have fond memories from way back when NR2003 was current.

5)
6)
7)

Replays are limited. Mods are not supported. I play with a gamepad and have been happy with it, this is calibrated upon first starting up the game. I mostly play with the dirt late models which doesn’t require as much precision as an asphalt oval. So I would say the gamepad on an asphalt oval is not as good but I haven’t be frustrated with it either.

Trashgame. I remember Nascar sim racing almost 10 years ago, it was revolutuon game. But this nascar heat 3 is a arcade rubbish. Why today having such opportinities and technologies they start to make such terrible games

Hopefully not a case of too little, too late - 704Games Sean Wilson confirms a new update improving the FFB strength of NASCAR Heat 3 is in the works.

NASCAR Heat 3 isn't an objectively bad game, perhaps a little rough round the edges and certainly falling way below the expectation level of many NASCAR fans, but essentially containing many of the core ingredients that could make an enjoyable if not classic NASCAR experience on PC and console.

However, of the many flaws both small and large the most glaring from my point of view would have to be what can be considered probably one of the least impressive force feedback experiences I've ever had. Bordering on zero feedback, the feel from the wheel (now that's an album title) is atrocious in NASCAR Heat 3 at present - little to no forces combined with an unimpressive representation of where the car is connecting to the circuit proved just too much for me to look past when we tested the game, leaving a sour taste in my mouth and immediately resigning the title to the "uninstalled" pile of my Steam library.

Refreshingly, it appears that the developers have been listening to those with similar opinions - 704Games Executive Producer Sean Wilson confirming on social media that a new update to address this issue is currently in the advanced stages of testing... potentially breathing new life into the game for players using control devices other than a gamepad.

NASCAR Heat 3 FFB Update.jpg

I really want a modern NASCAR game that I can invest some time in, and I had high hopes that NASCAR Heat 3 would be that title. With this new update due to focus some attention on what is far and away the weakest area of the software, I am really hopeful that maybe 704Games can drag this game out of its currently poor position they find themselves in to finally give players a glimmer of positivity for what should be a very popular racing game licence.

Needless to say, once the new update arrives I will be more that happy to reinstall and make a new review. I sincerely hope I will be eating my words once the update is released, only time will tell...

NASCAR Heat 3 is available now on Xbox One, PlayStation 4 and PC.

NASCAR Heat 3 FFB Update 2.jpg

Have a look over at our NASCAR Heat 3 sub forum for the latest news and discussions about the game.

Like what you see here at RaceDepartment? Don't forget to like, subscribe and follow us on social media!

Do you think the new update will make enough of a difference to the NH3 wheel user gaming experience? What do you think of the title? Let us know in the comments section below!

Last edited:
i'd like to see the r&d, crew chief hiring, pit crew hiring, engine builder, chassis builder, and the repairing aspects from nascar thunder 2002, and the digital hud from nascar 08. put those in and it'll be a fantastic game

704Games have released a very nice new NASCAR Heat 3 for PC and Xbox One, addressing a number of issues including the much maligned FFB of the title.

So first thing first, is the force feedback in NASCAR Heat 3 any good following the new update? Before I get into that I'd like to remind you of my first impressions of the title HERE, and how thoroughly disappointed I was feeling with the way the force feedback has been handled in the new title. Prior to the patch today I believed the feeling of the wheel to be far too weak to make the game playable for any period of time, something that significantly lowered the enjoyment of what could potentially be a very decent game.

Well it appears as if 704Games have been listening to this often shared opinion, taking to the task of working towards a much more potent output of FFB effects, and the results are very positive. Ok I'm sure we will all agree this isn't rFactor 2 levels of feedback, but it certainly offers a very serviceable level of force, and easily catapults this game from uninstall and forget to a very playable title, in my opinion at least.

So what else have the studio been up to for this new release? Check out the change log notes below, and also our new and updated review video at the head of this article.

Dmg4JOGX4AALxbC.jpg

NASCAR Heat 3 Update Notes:
  • Fixed custom setups being allowed in lobbies that are not supposed to allow them.
  • Added Dale Earnhardt, Jr. to the NASCAR Xfinity Series roster.
  • Improved force feedback for steering wheels.
  • Added option to enable centering spring for steering wheels. (PS4 and XboxOne)
  • Added option to play spotter through headphones. (PS4)
  • Added skid sounds when driving on dirt.
  • Career: Added option to sim races.
  • Career: Can choose paint job when driving someone else's car.
  • Career: Added manufacturer display to sponsor cards.
  • Career: Added manufacturer description to agent recap.
  • Career: Can access car paint kit for custom cars.
  • Career: Can access the character editor from the career home screen.
  • Career: If you make the playoffs, you earn an invite to a team in the next league.
  • Career: display upcoming tracks when setting work plan.
  • Career: Tuning adjustments.
  • Performance improvements.
  • Fix crashes in career mode.
  • Fixed tire wear at Eldora in dirt league.
  • Fix issue where cars would occasionally appear all black in car chooser.
  • Fix crashes in car editor and character editor.
  • Fix wheels appearing without cars briefly at start of multiplayer races.
  • Fix stages at the Roval.
  • AI: Adjust pitting behavior at some tracks.
  • AI: Various improvements.
  • UI: Various improvements.
  • Scaled down replay overlay art.
  • Fix slowdown during some challenges.
  • Other fixes and improvements.

NASCAR Heat 3 is available now on Xbox One, PlayStation 4 and PC.

Have a look over at our NASCAR Heat 3 sub forum for the latest news and discussions about the game.

Like what you see here at RaceDepartment? Don't forget to like, subscribe and follow us on social media!

Have you tried the new update today? What do you think of the game now? Has FFB improved enough for you to be satisfied with the wheel experience? Let us know in the comments section below!

Last edited:

Latest News

What's needed for simracing in 2024?

• More games, period

• Better graphics/visuals

• Advanced physics and handling

• More cars and tracks

• AI improvements

• AI engineering

• Cross-platform play

• New game Modes

• Other, post your idea