Modernizing GTR2 with the Crew Chief GTR2 Enhancements Plugin

I'm having the exact same issue here. Tried everything I could think of, ended up making a completely fresh install of the game direct from Steam and the ONLY thing that isn't an original file is whatever CrewChief installs. Trying to load into a singleplayer race weekend, it crashes and creates a minidump and I can't figure it out. It feels like this game is sentient sometimes, I swear.
yeah, i've tried uninstalling and re-installing a couple of times. each time, i go through all the steps very carefully, installing all the anniversary patch stages and then crew chief but then bam, the same thing happens... i can run the game in all modes, but for some reason, every time i try a race weekend, it just dumps me to the desktop... nearly loads up but at the end it crashes no matter what track or car combo i try...

if i just install crew chief only, then no problem. but then i don't get all the enhancements and fixes that comes with the anniversary patch. oh well, i guess i'll just use all the other modes and stay away from race weekend which is a shame...

let me know if you figure out how to resolve.

yeah, i've tried uninstalling and re-installing a couple of times. each time, i go through all the steps very carefully, installing all the anniversary patch stages and then crew chief but then bam, the same thing happens... i can run the game in all modes, but for some reason, every time i try a race weekend, it just dumps me to the desktop... nearly loads up but at the end it crashes no matter what track or car combo i try...

if i just install crew chief only, then no problem. but then i don't get all the enhancements and fixes that comes with the anniversary patch. oh well, i guess i'll just use all the other modes and stay away from race weekend which is a shame...

let me know if you figure out how to resolve.
You have it better than me it seems. For me, with only CrewChief installed, and no Anniversary patch, it crashes to desktop, in every mode, AI cars or not. I'll be honest, I'm completely stumped at this point.

Last edited:
You have it better than me it seems. For me, with only CrewChief installed, and no Anniversary patch, it crashes to desktop, in every mode, AI cars or not. I'll be honest, I'm completely stumped at this point.
first, you should copy your entire steam GTR2 folder to desktop and rename it GTR2 Drop.

then, try copying all contents of folder:

C:\Program Files (x86)\Britton IT Ltd\CrewChiefV4\plugins\GTR2
including:

folder 'Plugins'
d3d9.dll
openvr.api.dll

and dropping them into the new GTR2 Drop folder, replacing all currently installed.

then run CC, and then run GTR2 from that new folder. leave your original downloaded steam version of GTR2 as the original, unmodified source.

hope this helps... good luck.

stock GTR2 cars have bugs, those bugs are fixed in HQ. For example, I get crashes with Elise. Try loading some other car, or single car and different tracks. And, try disabling memory optimizations as I suggested on the previous page.

Last edited:
stock GTR2 cars have bugs, those bugs are fixed in HQ. For example, I get crashes with Elise. Try loading some other car, or single car and different tracks. And, try disabling memory optimizations as I suggested on the previous page.
and when all else fails, try reading the instructions as very well detailed by Iron Wolf in the GTR2 Enhancement Project Manual.
Well, I followed the 'Happy Path' instructions from the manual exactly and still it crashes trying to load. I will clarify that the game has launched this whole time, but actually trying to load into a race, test, time trial, practice, whatever, just crashes the game, any car, any track. I tried disabling memory optimizations and even manually downloaded and installed all the redists and DX files the game and plugin requires and still it doesn't work. I've also tried launching with and without CC open and it doesn't make a difference either.

some other car
by this did you mean a modded car or just different stock GTR2 cars?

Well, I followed the 'Happy Path' instructions from the manual exactly and still it crashes trying to load. I will clarify that the game has launched this whole time, but actually trying to load into a race, test, time trial, practice, whatever, just crashes the game, any car, any track. I tried disabling memory optimizations and even manually downloaded and installed all the redists and DX files the game and plugin requires and still it doesn't work. I've also tried launching with and without CC open and it doesn't make a difference either.

Sorry to hear you're having trouble. To be honest, i've gone through a lot trying to get GTR2 up and running on my PC as well. i've installed and uninstalled the game (along with the anni patch and crew chief) so many times the last few months it's not even funny. As I say, it was running perfectly on my last PC, but then i upgraded and i'm still trying to sort out the bugs...

i wish it was easier and went more smoothly, it would probably allow more ppl to experience how much fun GTR2 can be!

yes, i tried using different car and track combos. i also went back and ran the config file for anni patch and deactivated all the base cars so i'm using HQ cars only.

i got it to load a race weekend with the mc12, but haven't been able to recreate that success. i'll keep messing with it.

yes, i tried using different car and track combos. i also went back and ran the config file for anni patch and deactivated all the base cars so i'm using HQ cars only.

i got it to load a race weekend with the mc12, but haven't been able to recreate that success. i'll keep messing with it.
Could you please send me your .plr and CrewChief.ini files? I am going to put them into my Anniversary drop to check perhaps this is caused by some untested setting combination.

You need to zip it first .... as only some file extensions are allowed for attaching file to a message.
That's the reason why you can't see it

Could you please send me your .plr and CrewChief.ini files? I am going to put them into my Anniversary drop to check perhaps this is caused by some untested setting combination.

You need to zip it first .... as only some file extensions are allowed for attaching file to a message.
That's the reason why you can't see it
ahhh. got it. thx, i sent it thru other means. good to know for future reference.

can't figure out how to attach that... lol. i'm hopeless.

when i go to attach files, and navigate to that folder where .plr file is, i don't see it. i can see it using explorer though...
You could always make a copy of your .plr file, change the extension to .txt (it's just a text file anyway) and upload that.

ahhh. got it. thx, i sent it thru other means. good to know for future reference.
I investigated your issue and it has nothing to do with my plugin and seems to be purely HQ patch issue (perhaps on Steam GTR2.exe only). Some setting in your PLR file causes game to crash with HQ patch. I will send you my working .plr file, and then (if you want) you could investigate settings one by one to figure out which setting causes the crash

Your .plr does not crash the stock game, so I won't investigate this any further. But if you figure out what setting crashes it you may want to let GTR233 know.

Last edited:
I investigated your issue and it has nothing to do with my plugin and seems to be purely HQ patch issue (perhaps on Steam GTR2.exe only). Some setting in your PLR file causes game to crash with HQ patch. I will send you my working .plr file, and then you could investigate settings one by one to figure out which causes the crash

Your .plr does not crash the stock game, so I won't investigate this any further. But if you figure out what setting crashes it you may want to let GTR233 know.
Thank you for taking the time to look into this--much appreciated. It's good to know that we can eliminate the CC plugin as the source of the problem. I'll keep digging into this issue to see if I can find the reason for the crashes and/or if there is some way to resolve.

I'll definitely let you and GTR233 know if I get anywhere with this...

Thanks again!

does the base steam version of the game run on your PC (before any mods)?

Thank you for taking the time to look into this--much appreciated. It's good to know that we can eliminate the CC plugin as the source of the problem. I'll keep digging into this issue to see if I can find the reason for the crashes and/or if there is some way to resolve.

I'll definitely let you and GTR233 know if I get anywhere with this...

Thanks again!
Yes, crash reproduces without the plugin. Also, crash reproduces on the default profile generated by the game. Good luck, I hope my .plr will at least allow you to enjoy the beast.

Latest News

What is the reason for your passion for sim racing?

• Watching real motorsport

Votes: 421 69.4%
  • Physics and mechanics

Votes: 265 43.7%
  • Competition and adrenaline

Votes: 285 47.0%
  • Practice for real racing

Votes: 124 20.4%
  • Community and simracers

Votes: 168 27.7%
Back