Modding Questions Thread

Hey, my question is that i've changed in the cars balanced folder the CTF files, the original 7th gear value is 1,32, i changed to 1,15 for higher top speeds to the AI, but it seems that didn't work. In tracks folder I made same change, and it working for me, but balanced not working for the AI.
I tried to set gear 7 and 6 to 0, this means that they only use gear 1-5, but this isn't worked too, they kept up speed when i'm in gear 6. Why?
Another short question, in these CTF files, what is the final_drive value, what affects if i change it?
thanx!

Last edited:
hi there, i wanna ask something.
is there a tools/software for converting the BMP/PNG files to DDS DXT5 ARGB 8 bpp interpolated alpha besides photoshop?
in photoshop, if i save the HD & DHD texture to DDS it took very long time and harm my PC.

• Deleted member 161052

So...I've wanted to modify the card_image_[driver].dds file inside the b_nonpersistent.pssg file. If I have done them, what kind of .dds file should I save as?

(etc.: car skin - DXT1 / RGB / 4 bpp / no alpha)

• Deleted member 161052

dxt5, ARGB 8bpp interpolated alpha
How can I fix that?
how can i fix it.PNG

This modified one replaces card_image_vet.dds and is saved as DXT5 / ARGB / 8 bpp / interpolated alpha.

Last edited by a moderator:
hey all, i was moving some drivers around and despite changing the short name thing in the language file, the drivers still keep the original short name. For example i moved Alonso to McLaren using the language file but his short name is still BUT, even though i changed that in the language file too, any ideas?

you need to change the short name in the database (f1drivers => short_name_string_id" but then you also need to change the files' names in b_nonpersistent.pssg for the drivers' pictures according to the database

but I wonder, if you move drivers around, why not just moving their ID instead of renaming them?

you need to change the short name in the database (f1drivers => short_name_string_id" but then you also need to change the files' names in b_nonpersistent.pssg for the drivers' pictures according to the database

but I wonder, if you move drivers around, why not just moving their ID instead of renaming them?
First of all thanks, the issue with moving the ID by itself is that it corrupts the save file. Also changing the name in the language file saves the troubles involving editing the driver hghbodyglove file (what gets the drivers wearing the right race suits in cutscenes). So basically its just quicker and easier :)

Sure, but it's less transparent. Well, it would be more transparent if one changes the new assigned driver names in "name" column at ai_drivers (the value does not affect anything) but I personally get confused, editing race suit for Rosberg (for ex.) while really editing Alonso's file.

You'd have to touch the suits anyway, to change the driver's name on it :p

Sure, but it's less transparent. Well, it would be more transparent if one changes the new assigned driver names in "name" column at ai_drivers (the value does not affect anything) but I personally get confused, editing race suit for Rosberg (for ex.) while really editing Alonso's file.

You'd have to touch the suits anyway, to change the driver's name on it :p
well im not that fussy :p But yeah i change the drivers name in the ai_driver section, it makes performance easier to edit

Hi guys,

I wanna make my own helmet and i dont know where to put it afterwards
Can someone tell me what do i need to do ?

Short question: how do you edit helmets? I don't mean Photoshop etc. I mean is there a program to preview the result in 3D? It's hard to edit without that...

Latest News

What's needed for simracing in 2024?

• More games, period

• Better graphics/visuals

• Advanced physics and handling

• More cars and tracks

• AI improvements

• AI engineering

• Cross-platform play

• New game Modes

• Other, post your idea

Results are only viewable after voting.