Is VR Great?

A bigger question is whether they could potentially fill the gap left by the Reverb G2 and sell a reasonably priced headset that could work well for sims. Although with a Snapdragon X2 Plus Gen2 CPU it will be heavier and require batteries.

That gap has already been filled by the Quest 3, which offers a better experience then the G2 imho.

The Quest 3 is slowly starting to grow on me and it's only getting better.
I bought a new dedicated wifi 6E router , which is a must for the Quest 3

TP-Link Archer AXE75 Wi-Fi 6E WLAN-router (5400 Mbit/s Tri-Band, 4 × Gigabit LAN-poorten, 1 × USB 3.0-poort, WPA3, HomeCare, compatibel met Alexa, Tether APP), zwart
TP-Link Archer AXE75

With this router i can run Virtual Desktop at the max bitrate settings and the godlike resolution which out any issues. I do have the router only one meter away from me and i have USB-C cable hooked up to a charger for the longer race sessions.

The new Quest 3 update improved the audio quality of the mic and crewchief understands me a lot better now.

ACC with 72fps and 150% resolution will get me a 90-99% GPU usage on my RTX4090, but i feels smooth and it's the best i experienced in ACC so far.

The new spacial videos are awesome to watch on the Quest 3, the pass through might not be up to par with the AVP, but you are focusing on the video itself an seeing it appear in your surroundings really add to the immersion.

Virtual Desktop experience is by far the superior experience compared to the oculus link .
Switching between 2d desktop and VR with a hotkey is awesome. for making adjustments launching games ect ect. Potentially i could also play with a giant monitor floating above my ring,, while still seeing my dashboard ect ect but i haven't tried that yet.

For scientific purposes i also tried an AR video of specific genre we don't talk about here , just to confirm that VR=great :whistling:

Overal i'm starting to see more and more purposes for AR vs VR and the Quest 3 is performing beyond my expectations. Let's hope the AVP makes way for lots new content & apps and i can't wait for the Index 2. If it doesn't come, my next headset will probably been a Quest 3 pro or Quest 4.

Last edited:
Quest 3 works but its just so stupid with the battery and built in chip. Oculus could have sold twice the number of headsets to me. One quest 3 for wireless and then a cabled headset powered by more HP allows for better display, lighter and more cool running headset give better ergonimics as well. Cable is hardly ever an issue for roomscale either it just limits what room to play in :) Now I run the varjo instead but meta sure could produce something like that for less money I recon with all their r&d already done.

In the end were probably still so insane to buy it for that amount

itstrue.jpg

especially the part about being insane....

Last edited:
Now that the trial Almalence plugin for the Crystal was supposed to expire on the 15th, it will be interesting to see if they find another way to sell this to users who want it.

Related to this, it will also be interesting to see if the VR1 will optionally ship with Almalence built in at the firmware level which I believe is what Almalence says works best. Artur has mentioned that this might be an additional charge with the purchase of a VR1 for people who want that additional improvement in quality.

Artur has mentioned
"I think Almalance is great. I am just telling you that so far,
testing it on Pimax vs VR1 without it gave me more questions than answers
because Pimax image is less crisp than VR1 when Almalance is off.
So with Almalance ON it was very similar to VR1 image in the same scene."
(19 Jan)

Somnium has been investigating their own "hardware CA annihilator".

"I think Almalance is great. I am just telling you that so far,
testing it on Pimax vs VR1 without it gave me more questions than answers
because Pimax image is less crisp than VR1 when Almalance is off.
So with Almalance ON it was very similar to VR1 image in the same scene."
(19 Jan)

Somnium has been investigating their own "hardware CA annihilator".

That says a lot about the image quality of the VR1.

I remember one guy saying he could drop the resolution being rendered on the Crystal with the Almalance plugin active and get the same quality while using less GPU than without the plugin running with more resolution.

Latest News

What would be the ideal raceday for you to join our Club Races?

• Monday

Votes: 13 13.7%
  • Tuesday

Votes: 10 10.5%
  • Wednesday

Votes: 10 10.5%
  • Thursday

Votes: 12 12.6%
  • Friday

Votes: 36 37.9%
  • Saturday

Votes: 51 53.7%