Is it worth going all in

Now, I know it's always a very personal view. I've been on this since they introduced their free content week and I'm getting mixed signals from this game.

The Single Player mode is good but that wouldn't be a deal closer as I already own more racing sims then I've got time to play. So the selling point would be the multiplayer. Now, I've only done six races so far but there is a trend. The first one being me being way too slow. And that's not me complaining I can't win every race, I shouldn't. But I'm up to 8 sec per lap slower. That can't be all me. I'm playing on an old g25 and I know that's not the best hardware around. But I don't have the budget for something else and I've watched people playing with Logitech wheels who are well in the upper echelon. Everywhere I look people are saying the base setups are good and I know I need to practice more - but that 8 second gap seems a rather steep mountain to climb. And I don't see where I can even gain a second, let alone eight.

Another thing I noticed is that a lot of players come late to a race during Q and don't drive any laps. Among those are usually the ones that are way faster then anyone else. Again, I don't want to win each race, I'm looking for some fun and tense racing. But in one case I felt taunted. I was racing with someone for 4 laps and it was very tight, neither of us being able to put much space between the two of us. Seemingly. After he spun of the track by his own doing and being behind a good 15s he suddenly turned laps 3-5s faster then me. At that point I felt toyed with and once I saw him in the mirror I downright stopped at the straight to let him by. Oh, and the other guy in the race who build up a 45s lead had a mysterious incident in the panultimate corner from which he didn't recover at the same time.

I checked after the race and both of them didn't participate in ranked races in over half a year.

I like what I see from the game in general. It looks alright on my outdated machine. The sound is great and I think the FFB is really good. Depending on the discount they offer in their upcoming sale I might consider buying a big chunk of content, maybe even the whole shabang.

So, I'm asking those who played this a lot. Would you buy it again ?

Last edited:
Now, I've only done six races so far but there is a trend. The first one being me being way too slow. And that's not me complaining I can't win every race, I shouldn't. But I'm up to 8 sec per lap slower. That can't be all me. I'm playing on an old g25 and I know that's not the best hardware around. But I don't have the budget for something else and I've watched people playing with Logitech wheels who are well in the upper echelon. Everywhere I look people are saying the base setups are good and I know I need to practice more - but that 8 second gap seems a rather steep mountain to climb. And I don't see where I can even gain a second, let alone eight.
The wheel should be fine. If you upload a video of one of your laps, we could check whether we see an obvious problem. It would be ideal if you enable the input meter you we could see your inputs.

Thanks for your reply. I think I've made my decision and it's leaning towards not buying.

I would've liked to post a video but unfortunately the last three races I wasn't even able to do a timed lap as I got struck with incident warnings again and again.

I've noticed something curious, though. I am not able to get heat into my tires. Doesn't matter what car/track combination. F.e. after ten minutes on Spa in a 22 Civic WTTC I had 35 degress in the rear tires and maybe around 50 at the front. Crew Chief is constantly telling me I should heat up my tires. That can't be right. If I go out in a car with heated tires, say X-22, I leave the pits with tires at about 80 degrees and after the out lap I'm down to 50. Even when I light up the rear tires there is no heat going in. Best I ever managed was one side slightly warm and the other stonecold. That being in an NSU TT.
(all values according to OtterHud).

Doesn't matter if I drive single- or multiplayer, I'm not able to compete with anyone. I always get good starts where I make up places but that's it. I only gain places if others make mistakes. The moment someone appears behind me I can only yield because it's impossible to fight. They can break later, corner faster, accellerate earlier and therefore carry more speed. Add all that together and you get the massive gaps.

Again, I like the sim in terms of the feeling it gives me driving. And like I mentioned I'm not seeking to win each and every time. But it is massively frustrating when you feel you haven't even a chance.

I have had RRE for years and have lots of content and still enjoy it, but find it's looking a bit "long in the tooth". I would say buy content not available in other sims if there is something you like, just for the variety. Having said that, if I was going "all in" on a sim now, it would be AMS2 now.

Thanks for your reply. I think I've made my decision and it's leaning towards not buying.

I would've liked to post a video but unfortunately the last three races I wasn't even able to do a timed lap as I got struck with incident warnings again and again.

I've noticed something curious, though. I am not able to get heat into my tires. Doesn't matter what car/track combination. F.e. after ten minutes on Spa in a 22 Civic WTTC I had 35 degress in the rear tires and maybe around 50 at the front. Crew Chief is constantly telling me I should heat up my tires. That can't be right. If I go out in a car with heated tires, say X-22, I leave the pits with tires at about 80 degrees and after the out lap I'm down to 50. Even when I light up the rear tires there is no heat going in. Best I ever managed was one side slightly warm and the other stonecold. That being in an NSU TT.
(all values according to OtterHud).

Doesn't matter if I drive single- or multiplayer, I'm not able to compete with anyone. I always get good starts where I make up places but that's it. I only gain places if others make mistakes. The moment someone appears behind me I can only yield because it's impossible to fight. They can break later, corner faster, accellerate earlier and therefore carry more speed. Add all that together and you get the massive gaps.

Again, I like the sim in terms of the feeling it gives me driving. And like I mentioned I'm not seeking to win each and every time. But it is massively frustrating when you feel you haven't even a chance.
Tire temperatures usually shouldn't be a problem. It sounds like you're not pushing the tires to their limit. That would also explain the lack of speed in corners.

Yes, but how do I do that? I try to warm up the tires by accellerating and braking repeatedly during the outlap. But I'm literally sliding around everywhere if I push just a little bit more. That alone should generate some heat but it barely does. I drive every corner at the edge of flying off.

I'm not a rookie at racing but I feel there is a secret in this game I don't know about.

I have had RRE for years and have lots of content and still enjoy it, but find it's looking a bit "long in the tooth". I would say buy content not available in other sims if there is something you like, just for the variety. Having said that, if I was going "all in" on a sim now, it would be AMS2 now.
I took a brief look at the demo which, by the way, is ridiculous. If I want to get an impression from a "Motorsports Simulation" I want to drive something that is capable of making more then barely 100 mph on the straight. And even those felt like 50ish.

Anyway, looks better than R3E but sounds really worse (well the VW does anyway). But the biggest road block for me would be price. The best offer for AM2 was 12 € for the main game and then another 90 on top of that for the 20-22 season pass. That's about double the cost of R3E. And I have no idea what the base content for AM2 is to be frank.

I took a brief look at the demo which, by the way, is ridiculous. If I want to get an impression from a "Motorsports Simulation" I want to drive something that is capable of making more then barely 100 mph on the straight. And even those felt like 50ish.

Anyway, looks better than R3E but sounds really worse (well the VW does anyway). But the biggest road block for me would be price. The best offer for AM2 was 12 € for the main game and then another 90 on top of that for the 20-22 season pass. That's about double the cost of R3E. And I have no idea what the base content for AM2 is to be frank.
Look for it on sale...I got AMS2, RF2 and ACC and a couple of throwaways for $17AUS at Indie Gala or Humble Bundle. Try the base content and then check out any DLC you might want. The AMS2 demo is rubbish.

Look for it on sale...I got AMS2, RF2 and ACC and a couple of throwaways for $17AUS at Indie Gala or Humble Bundle. Try the base content and then check out any DLC you might want. The AMS2 demo is rubbish.
Yes, I think I will do that. Maybe buy some selected content on R3E.
Thanks for the tip.

Yes, but how do I do that? I try to warm up the tires by accellerating and braking repeatedly during the outlap. But I'm literally sliding around everywhere if I push just a little bit more. That alone should generate some heat but it barely does. I drive every corner at the edge of flying off.

I'm not a rookie at racing but I feel there is a secret in this game I don't know about.
It's hard to tell without a video, but maybe you're not turning the wheel enough in the corners. Accelerating and braking doesn't really help with tire temperatures. There's no need to do anything special on your outlap, just drive as fast as possible.

There's no secret in R3E which would make you lose 8 seconds per lap compared to other games.

Idk, I'm already sliding a lot and have huge amounts of understeer. Compensating that by more steering input would only lead to more understeer, no ? I'm not s setup-guru, I know the basics of what to do. I watched a tutorial on how to adjust camber and tire pressure to get more heat in the tires. It worked to a degree. In the end I maxed out on some settings and still had not sufficent temp. I need to work further on that.

Latest News

What's needed for simracing in 2024?

• More games, period

• Better graphics/visuals

• Advanced physics and handling

• More cars and tracks

• AI improvements

• AI engineering

• Cross-platform play

• New game Modes

• Other, post your idea

Results are only viewable after voting.