F1 2012 Total Overhaul

yeah I will share them.
I also made adjustments to the database, will share that too.
Have to say though, did all on v 1.0 cause the later patches all have massive performance issues on my system ..
So the database changes would have to transfered into the later version.

Things I would like to do but lack the time to:
- make new ai_vehicle_track files for the new AI-car-setups for dry and wet
- look into possible changes in the AI files.

yeah I will share them.
I also made adjustments to the database, will share that too.
Have to say though, did all on v 1.0 cause the later patches all have massive performance issues on my system ..
So the database changes would have to transfered into the later version.

Things I would like to do but lack the time to:
- make new ai_vehicle_track files for the new AI-car-setups for dry and wet
- look into possible changes in the AI files.

Hi Rowing have you uploaded these or have I missed them?

Handling/Physics:
Increase braking power

That one is important!
In-game you take high brake pressure and large disk. Take Abu Dhabi track you need to brake at 125 meters and don't get a lock-up!
*PS: i use controller, not a steering wheel

In real life they brake at 100 meters or even later, depends on what stage of the race they are.
Its one of the "handling" parts i'll focus, i really hate the braking on CM's F1 when i compare it to real life. Still haven't found a way to get it right, but i'll try everything i can think of to see if i manage it :D

Maybe stupid idea, but what happens if you mark everything as track? Theoretically it should never use auto brake then.
No clue if this is even possible though, it just crossed my mind ^^
No, it isn't a stupid idead, but if im right about this, then still i need to find a way to mark the track parts, i haven't seen anything like this on the files i opened, if there is a file that we can open and then just change the surfaces of the track then maybe it will work. Only problem is that this "marks" maybe are related to the track lines, if its this, then it will not work, since it will be needed to change the racing line left/right to cover the track, while it should work to remove the auto-brake will probably make the AI drive outside the track :roflmao: So, more harm than good :(

‚DOWNLOAD LINK?
I think we are going to take at least 3 months before a final release with everything working 100% as it should.
I haven't got time to work on the mod these past days and i'll be out for 10 days or so, but after that i'll get back to it and i'll see if i can release at least an alpha test version around January 31th.

I think we are going to take at least 3 months before a final release with everything working 100% as it should.
I haven't got time to work on the mod these past days and i'll be out for 10 days or so, but after that i'll get back to it and i'll see if i can release at least an alpha test version around January 31th.
OK,thanks.

My guess is that at least a partial solution to this is in the .ctf files (one per car per track) and there the value brake_torque which was lowered for f12012 to 2600 compared to 3200 in F12011 (i.e. they made the brakes weaker at least on paper). Haven't tested this though.
Indeed its a partial solution :(
Increasing the brake torque helps, the brakes become stronger, but at the same time they lock too much at high speeds. I tried to increase the wheel inertia to counter the effects, it doesn't help too much using lower values, using higher intertia values does help but at the same time it creates a bad effect of the car still going forward instead of turning due to the high intertia :(
But i will not give up easily, maybe there is a way to do "fix" it, without a bad side ;)

Hi,

interesting to see that you are working on one big mod, sort of what I had in mind too.

I have adjusted the players' cars for all tracks except monaco and singapore to match realistic pole times. Adjusted top speeds, gears and reduced/increased grip for some tracks.
Tested in gp mode short qualifying. On some tracks (suzuka, delhi, texas) times are still slower than in reality, or grip would have to be massively increased.
But I guess that would have to be a design choice: as times in the real 2012 season towards the end came much closer to 2011 pole times (delhi was even faster than 2011) times in the first half of 2012 were quite a bit off 2011 times.
One would have to choose which grip level is the one you like.
Very good to know about that!
I actually don't think i'll focus on the lap times, i hope they get very close, but the main focus would be to have an overall handling matching real life, at least braking power and top speed using drs and not using it.
I'll see about some changes on the car setups, to see if i can give the player a better in game setup, but thats going to be the last part i'll do.
When you've got some time, please share it, i would love to try it. I haven't changed grip levels on CTF files yet, only changed overall grip for most surfaces, mainly off track surfaces, it will be good to feel the difference. With all these nice mods together we can have a very nice overhaul for F1 2012 ;)
Thanks RowingAce!

well, times are a bit off actually.
I tested with standard setup all the time, and mostly it is because of the riddicoulous DRS-boost they gave the cars. I reduced that at first and came much closer to the real deal. Also edited the drag values to come to top speeds close to reality.
Edited all tracks to get 10-12 kph DRS boost. The game handles the different car setups (low, mid, vlow, vhigh) with different drags on DRS. Example: the same rear wing (means: open DRS) drag in china (low) results in a different topspeed-delta with DRS/without DRS than in texas (mid).
I also tried to reduce the brake distances, but came to no satisfactory improvement. What I tried there was fiddling with car inertia and brake torque, but gave not that much heart into it, as I find braking distances minor disturbing and in the left that part as is.
Since some here complained the car is to 'understeery' (which is not my opinion) I also tried to give the cars a little looser rear end, bit everything I tried affected (especially rear) tyre wear quite severly so I gave up on that.
Tyre wear can be adjusted in the database, but my guess is, that it affects the AI too, and that would mess up AI tyre wear and strategy I think. But I am not sure and have not so much craving for hours of testing on that part.
All changes I made affect the player's car only, no surface grip changes or engine power. Just aero and gear settings (final drive and 7th gear for the most part).

I played with a couple of values, especially the ones that affect the performance, so maybe I can answer some questions.

My plan was to give the setup of the red bull (RB and McL are now almost equal with my setups, the RB maybe .05-.1 seconds faster) to the AI cars and make new ai_vehicle_track files with that to match them to the player again. Cause my guess is, they will be too slow with the original track files.

Another thing: I tried playing with the ai_track files (the ones with the gates) on F1 2011 to alter the lines the cars take especially through the first corners after the race start, but wasn't able to get any changes to work since the game always crashed when loading the track. I guessed that the values determine the distance of the racing line from the left and right end of the tarmac and tried values that sum up to the same as the original values to put the racing line a bit further left or right on the track, but nothing worked in that regard. Maybe someone has a solution for that.

So long, I'll be happy to share any of my findings, but I can't actually do anything until the new year and then I probably also won't have much time

to adjust the DRS boost its aero_wing_rear_drag ... obviously ;)
I can only guess, haven't noticed any changes when changing the value.
My best guess would be that it comes into play when you lose a wing ..

Latest News

What's needed for simracing in 2024?

• More games, period

• Better graphics/visuals

• Advanced physics and handling

• More cars and tracks

• AI improvements

• AI engineering

• Cross-platform play

• New game Modes

• Other, post your idea

Results are only viewable after voting.