F1 1988 Sound Problem

Advice please. The off-throttle exterior sounds in my F1 1988 mod are almost non existent. How to rectify this

Last edited:
Hi. First, check if the sound files are correctly installed in the game for the exterior off the throttle.
Navigate to the cars team folder,
Its normally C:\Program Files (x86)\Steam\steamapps\common\GTR2\GameData\Teams\F1 1988
Choose a car, open its folder, and open the ".Car" file with Notepad.

Now look for the line Sounds=

EG:
Car Example.JPG

This tells us which SFX file points to our sounds for the car. In my example its F1 1985 cosworth.sfx.

Now go back to the cars folder, go back one step to the F1 1988 folder, look for the SFX file with the same name, and open it with Notepad. You can now see which specific sound files are for the car.

EG:
SFX File.JPG

So now navigate to the Sounds folder GameData\Sounds\F1 1988 and look for the sound files listed in your SFX file.

Hopefully, by this point, you are starting to understand how it works and maybe have a few ideas on how you might fix the sound issue. One thing I sometimes do is change specified sound files in the SFX file. For example, I will put the exterior sound files as the interior sounds (Change which sound file the Inside section points to)
Or I will steal sound files from another mod by copying and renaming the sound files to match my car's sound file names.
In extreme situations, I will open the sound file in Audacity (sound editing software) and adjust the sound level or use a Compressor plugin.

Latest News

What's needed for simracing in 2024?

• More games, period

• Better graphics/visuals

• Advanced physics and handling

• More cars and tracks

• AI improvements

• AI engineering

• Cross-platform play

• New game Modes

• Other, post your idea

Results are only viewable after voting.