Creating a livery?

Trying to figure this whole thing out. I follow the whole pdf file but the car wont show up in game... so i'm lost.

Looking at one that i downloaded is even more confusing. Looking at officially made ones makes me even more confused.

IS there an actual decent guide out there or something????

Did you find a plugin to convert the image file to DDS?
Another thing I thought of, did you create the Custom Skins folder in MyDocuments/Simbin

I have collected a bunch of templates, Let me know if you want them, and I will upload them.

Did you find a plugin to convert the image file to DDS?
Another thing I thought of, did you create the Custom Skins folder in MyDocuments/Simbin

I have collected a bunch of templates, Let me know if you want them, and I will upload them.

Yeah, i have nvidias DDS plugin. But anything when it comes to getting the livery into the game just confuses me.
Especially without any proper guide. The one written by the Simbin staff is awful. & only explains how to setup the .ini but not how to get the actual livery into the game.

Following it & placing the files etc into the documents folder does not make it show up.

Also not to be a dick but the video did not help at all tbh. It just showcases what i already know & nothing else.

You're not being a dick. It's fine. I'm not a teacher. I just remembered that video and thought it might help.
So I found the whole skin thing a pain in the ass. The three Simbin games seem different, and Race07 is the worst.
Anyways here are the contents of another tutorial I found. Note the creation of the INI file ...

RACE 07 – The WTCC Game Custom Skin Quick Start Guide

Created by: Ramon van Rijn
Date: 20070906

Creating your own skins for RACE 07 – The WTCC Game is simple.
In this Quick Start Guide we will explain the steps to make your very own custom skins for the game.

Q: What is a Custom Skin and what can you do with is?

A: Custom Skin could be your own self-made car livery which you would be able to use on any car model currently present in the game. Reading through this guide should set you up with the basic knowledge in how to create one and how to enable it in game.
Provided you’ve followed the process correctly you are then able to see your custom skin driver name in the car selection menu in game, just like any of the original ones!

Q: Can I share my Custom Skins with other players? Can they see my Custom Skins when playing multiplayer games?

A: Any of the other players which you choose to distribute your own Custom Skins to get the possibility to use it in their own game to view just like you. If you then play in a multiplayer game together and you or he/she are using that skin (and provided neither of you have changed the settings in it after sharing it) will be able to see them the way they really are.
Players on the multiplayer session who does not have the custom skin will instead see a default skin – a numberless duplicate of an existing car model from the specific class (eg. BMW E90 is Priaulx, Seat Leon is Géne, Chevrolet Lacetti is Huff, etc).
You are free to share your own skins as you like, as long as you do not violate the End User License Agreement regarding Customizable Content nor your own country laws.

Q: Which tools are needed for creating Custom Skins?

A: Creating your own Custom Skin is easy, but you do need some tools to create and put all the different pieces together. Here’s a list of things you’ll need:

Templates – These are available in the CustomSkin folder in your RACE 07 – The WTCC Game installation root. You are also able to download the latest car templates for all models from the game’s official website – www.race-game.org.
All templates are made available in Adobe Photoshop PSD format.

Paint program – You’ll need to have Adobe Photoshop installed on your computer in order to modify the templates and create your own skin. Trial software can be found on www.adobe.com.

DDS Plug-in – You’ll need to save your skins in DDS file format which means you’ll need to have the NVidia DDS plug-in installed on your computer. You can download the plug-in from the NVidia website – www.nvidia.com.

Q: Which parts of the car livery can I create/modify using the templates you provide? Which parts does this cool feature include?

A: You are currently able to create/modify the following items using the custom skin templates as your base and the maximum functionality of the Custom Skin feature:
• Body (the livery on your car)
• Windows* (the windows viewed from outside of your car)
• InteriorWindow* (the front windows viewed from cockpit and action cam)
• Interior* (the interior of your car)
• Driver (the driver suit)
• Ext_Driver (the driver suit viewed from outside the car)
• Helmet (the driver helmet)
• Numberplate* (the car number inside the cockpit)
• MenuImage (the car preview viewed inside the game menu, in the car selection menu)
• Menuflag (the driver nation flag used in game)
• IngameFlag (the driver nation flag used in the results screen)

* this feature is not available for all car models! For more info see the list of available modifications for each model below.

Q: In which format should I save the skin?

A: Body, suit and number plate textures must be saved in DDS – DXT1 format with 6 mipmaps.
Windows and helmet textures must be saved in DDS – DXT5 format with 6 mipmaps.
InteriorWindows must be saved in DDS – DXT5 format with 0 mipmaps.
MenuImage, MenuFlag and IngameFlag must be saved in TGA format (32 bits to support Transparency on Alpha layer).

Maximum image dimension for MenuImage and Flags:
• MenuImage 512x330 pixels
• MenuFlag 60x45 pixels
• IngameFlag 40x20 pixels

Q: How do I link all the pieces together to see my car in RACE 07 – The WTCC Game?

A: When you feel like you’re done with creating your own amazing Custom Skin, just copy/paste the appropriate files (the ones connected to your Custom Skin) into the [GameInstallationFolder]\CustomSkins\ folder.
After this you need to create your own *.ini file using a text editor like for example Notepad in which you include the necessary information about your specific Custom Skin. Which info to put in the ini file depends on the car model you’ve based your custom skin on and which parts of the car model you’ve customized. Info on which parts are available for customization for each model is available further down.

You are able to make as many ini files as you like and you are also able to group them in subfolders inside the CustomSkin folder.
For example:
CustomSkins\MegaRacingLeague\CoolRacingTeam.ini
CustomSkins\MegaRacingLeague\johnnyAlfaBody.dds
CustomSkins\MegaRacingLeague\johnnyAlfaWindows.dds
CustomSkins\MegaRacingLeague\BennyAlfaBody.dds
CustomSkins\MegaRacingLeague\BennyAlfaWindows.dds
CustomSkins\MegaRacingLeague\BennyChevy.dds

Just make sure the Custom Skin files are in the same folder as the ini file. The name of the ini file is not important.

Here follows information on the formatting which should be used for the ini file(s):

Team name
Put your team name inside triple brackets.
[[[Cool Racing Team]]]

Driver name
Put your driver name inside double brackets.
[[Johnny]]

Car model
Put your car model inside single brackets.
[Alfa Romeo 156 Gta]

Graphics / skin assignment
Format your painted skins like this.
body=johnnyAlfaBody.dds
windows=johnnyAlfaWindows.dds
etc.

You can have several skins for the same profile, as well as several profiles under the same team. Experiment with the possibilities to find you own preferred way.

The skin can be reloaded ingame so that you can edit the textures and see the results directly on the track. Make sure that the car you are working with is focused ingame and press CTRL-F5, this will reload all customizable textures for that car (also reloading skins on other cars of the same model on track which are using that skin).

See Template.txt for information on what parts of what cars that can be skinned.

You're not being a dick. It's fine. I'm not a teacher. I just remembered that video and thought it might help.
So I found the whole skin thing a pain in the ass. The three Simbin games seem different, and Race07 is the worst.
Anyways here are the contents of another tutorial I found. Note the creation of the INI file ...

RACE 07 – The WTCC Game Custom Skin Quick Start Guide

Created by: Ramon van Rijn
Date: 20070906

Creating your own skins for RACE 07 – The WTCC Game is simple.
In this Quick Start Guide we will explain the steps to make your very own custom skins for the game.

Q: What is a Custom Skin and what can you do with is?

A: Custom Skin could be your own self-made car livery which you would be able to use on any car model currently present in the game. Reading through this guide should set you up with the basic knowledge in how to create one and how to enable it in game.
Provided you’ve followed the process correctly you are then able to see your custom skin driver name in the car selection menu in game, just like any of the original ones!

Q: Can I share my Custom Skins with other players? Can they see my Custom Skins when playing multiplayer games?

A: Any of the other players which you choose to distribute your own Custom Skins to get the possibility to use it in their own game to view just like you. If you then play in a multiplayer game together and you or he/she are using that skin (and provided neither of you have changed the settings in it after sharing it) will be able to see them the way they really are.
Players on the multiplayer session who does not have the custom skin will instead see a default skin – a numberless duplicate of an existing car model from the specific class (eg. BMW E90 is Priaulx, Seat Leon is Géne, Chevrolet Lacetti is Huff, etc).
You are free to share your own skins as you like, as long as you do not violate the End User License Agreement regarding Customizable Content nor your own country laws.

Q: Which tools are needed for creating Custom Skins?

A: Creating your own Custom Skin is easy, but you do need some tools to create and put all the different pieces together. Here’s a list of things you’ll need:

Templates – These are available in the CustomSkin folder in your RACE 07 – The WTCC Game installation root. You are also able to download the latest car templates for all models from the game’s official website – www.race-game.org.
All templates are made available in Adobe Photoshop PSD format.

Paint program – You’ll need to have Adobe Photoshop installed on your computer in order to modify the templates and create your own skin. Trial software can be found on www.adobe.com.

DDS Plug-in – You’ll need to save your skins in DDS file format which means you’ll need to have the NVidia DDS plug-in installed on your computer. You can download the plug-in from the NVidia website – www.nvidia.com.

Q: Which parts of the car livery can I create/modify using the templates you provide? Which parts does this cool feature include?

A: You are currently able to create/modify the following items using the custom skin templates as your base and the maximum functionality of the Custom Skin feature:
• Body (the livery on your car)
• Windows* (the windows viewed from outside of your car)
• InteriorWindow* (the front windows viewed from cockpit and action cam)
• Interior* (the interior of your car)
• Driver (the driver suit)
• Ext_Driver (the driver suit viewed from outside the car)
• Helmet (the driver helmet)
• Numberplate* (the car number inside the cockpit)
• MenuImage (the car preview viewed inside the game menu, in the car selection menu)
• Menuflag (the driver nation flag used in game)
• IngameFlag (the driver nation flag used in the results screen)

* this feature is not available for all car models! For more info see the list of available modifications for each model below.

Q: In which format should I save the skin?

A: Body, suit and number plate textures must be saved in DDS – DXT1 format with 6 mipmaps.
Windows and helmet textures must be saved in DDS – DXT5 format with 6 mipmaps.
InteriorWindows must be saved in DDS – DXT5 format with 0 mipmaps.
MenuImage, MenuFlag and IngameFlag must be saved in TGA format (32 bits to support Transparency on Alpha layer).

Maximum image dimension for MenuImage and Flags:
• MenuImage 512x330 pixels
• MenuFlag 60x45 pixels
• IngameFlag 40x20 pixels

Q: How do I link all the pieces together to see my car in RACE 07 – The WTCC Game?

A: When you feel like you’re done with creating your own amazing Custom Skin, just copy/paste the appropriate files (the ones connected to your Custom Skin) into the [GameInstallationFolder]\CustomSkins\ folder.
After this you need to create your own *.ini file using a text editor like for example Notepad in which you include the necessary information about your specific Custom Skin. Which info to put in the ini file depends on the car model you’ve based your custom skin on and which parts of the car model you’ve customized. Info on which parts are available for customization for each model is available further down.

You are able to make as many ini files as you like and you are also able to group them in subfolders inside the CustomSkin folder.
For example:
CustomSkins\MegaRacingLeague\CoolRacingTeam.ini
CustomSkins\MegaRacingLeague\johnnyAlfaBody.dds
CustomSkins\MegaRacingLeague\johnnyAlfaWindows.dds
CustomSkins\MegaRacingLeague\BennyAlfaBody.dds
CustomSkins\MegaRacingLeague\BennyAlfaWindows.dds
CustomSkins\MegaRacingLeague\BennyChevy.dds

Just make sure the Custom Skin files are in the same folder as the ini file. The name of the ini file is not important.

Here follows information on the formatting which should be used for the ini file(s):

Team name
Put your team name inside triple brackets.
[[[Cool Racing Team]]]

Driver name
Put your driver name inside double brackets.
[[Johnny]]

Car model
Put your car model inside single brackets.
[Alfa Romeo 156 Gta]

Graphics / skin assignment
Format your painted skins like this.
body=johnnyAlfaBody.dds
windows=johnnyAlfaWindows.dds
etc.

You can have several skins for the same profile, as well as several profiles under the same team. Experiment with the possibilities to find you own preferred way.

The skin can be reloaded ingame so that you can edit the textures and see the results directly on the track. Make sure that the car you are working with is focused ingame and press CTRL-F5, this will reload all customizable textures for that car (also reloading skins on other cars of the same model on track which are using that skin).

See Template.txt for information on what parts of what cars that can be skinned.
That's the one i followed and if i'm not wrong this is completely correct? If it is then it's still not
1681138542306.png

Showing up in game when choosing a car and driver etc. Still only have the base content stuff
But then take this one for example the format is completely different so i'm very confused on how to do it now. Especially since i want these liveries to also show up as AI drivers.

Ok, here are two things I noticed. Firstly, in the tutorial, they put the custom skins folder in the game folder, not the My Documents.

Second, the Haas Audi A4 skin is how I have done it for GT Legends. He created a whole new car using the custom skin rather than trying to add extra skin the way you're trying to do. This is actually pretty easy. You have to name your files correctly and change a few lines in the car file. You may notice he labeled all his image files 00010_A4

Then in the car file, "You can just copy this and rename it." The first line says include=..\A4.inccar The inccar file is what actually defines the car, so here we are saying load the generic inccar file for this but use these parameters (race number, team, driver name).
If you want a different team name, then create a new team folder.

Latest News

What's needed for simracing in 2024?

• More games, period

• Better graphics/visuals

• Advanced physics and handling

• More cars and tracks

• AI improvements

• AI engineering

• Cross-platform play

• New game Modes

• Other, post your idea

Results are only viewable after voting.