Am I the only one missing something?

G-Slev

Rubbish Racer & Amateur Motorsport Photographer
Premium
I have had a go in this sim. Besides the problems (which everyone says "ah- it's early access!", whilst I say it is an excuse to release a sub par product), this sim does not drive well at all. The cars have zero rear grip to the point of being undrivable. The Oreca 07 fixed setup online pitches me in the barrier if I brake to hard.

And... this is basically an Rfactor 2 mod with a new UI that is equally as dreadful as the old Rfactor 2 UI. No wonder Motorsports games released the BTCC cars for Rfactor 2 before they lost the licence - I suspect the BTCC game would have been the same rehashed nonsense.

I think I might be seeking a steam refund. This sim is terrible and Motorsport games are charging money for old rope. The development path for a sim that is essentially another sim that has never been right and has it's grounding in 2012 seems like something of a dead end to me. They should be ashamed of themselves - but then I don't think they have much shame.

Last edited:
Since I've now taken the plunge so to speak: It's rF2 with a bit better graphics, a bit better sound and a reskinned UI. Everything that's good about rF2 is in there, but also most if not all of the jankiness. At least the FFB options are all in the UI, so no more going into the .ini files.

I find the LMP2 car to be really good actually, I had a lot of fun with it around Fuji.

I agree the GTEs are very tail happy out of the box, but this can be somewhat rectified with a few setup adjustments.

The LM(D)h cars tho are nearly undrivable for me. I'm not sure at this point if it's a bad stock setup that I cannot figure out how to correct, or if the cars have something else going on that makes them behave this way. The cars start out on cold tires, which doesn't help matters in the first few laps either. The game also randomizes the weather conditions seemingly on every new car/track combo and after restarts, so that plays into it as well.

I'd be interested to hear other peoples opinions of the LM(D)h cars.

I did a couple of ranked races yesterday and have slightly changed my mind. The car still feels like it is constantly trying to kill me. I was also 5 to 10 seconds slower than everyone else in the field, but I think I did get the hang of driving it. Running it at 3440x1440 seems to help make it a little smoother bizarrely.

Rfactor 2 has always driven well, but everything else it does is basically a criminal offence and the same can be said of LMU. I don't know why I am so slow, other than being crap, but there were a couple of people to race at the back for 20 seconds when they made mistakes, before they overtook me and disappeared into the distance.

As for the setup thing - setups are fixed in the rookie races.

Last edited:
I find this a very weird release. People's opinions are all over the place; love, hate and everything in between. It just shows how very subjective sim-racing is.

For me, everything more or less works well enough for an early access release: my FFB works well, I get great frame rates, I don't have UI issues. I can hop into a race weekend and have great fun with AI that's not noticeably worse than anything else available.

There is a big difference between the cars which I think has a lot to do with it. The LMP2s are so much fun to drive. The Porsche 963s feel predictable and are fairly easy to throw around. But the Ferrari 499P and the Glickenhaus SCG 007 feel quite strange to me and I have yet to come to terms with how they drive. Whether they need adusting, or I need adjusting, I'm not sure. But I am happy that everything doesn't have a generic feels-like-everything-else-in-every-other-game feel about them. Braking in general feels different, compared to other games' tintops, AMS2 formulas, even rF2.

It feels very much like a heavy tweaked and extended dlc for rF2, which is what I expected. The UI is much better. Having a whole package of all cars and tracks is so much better than rF2's random race whatever/wherever cuz it's all there is feel. I think if and when the game is completed and polished it will be very good indeed. And the current asking price is fine for an extended rF2 mod of this quality and will be a complete steal if the game comes to fruition.

It makes me wish the BTCC content had also gotten it's own game. It's the one thing I do in rF2 and the racing experience is extremely good.

Last edited:
No offense, and lord knows I'm not gonna be stealing Verstappen's seat anytime soon, but if you're as slow as you've said then why would anyone expect you to be able to handle these cars reliably? Being worried about "racing other people" when your lap times are in the gutter is painting a very bad picture of your sim reasoning and awareness. Watch videos and hotlap until you can drive the car at a reasonable pace. Racing is more just structured sorting by lap time

It's a tough thing, being a simracing developer. You have to make the cars as hard to drive as the real thing, or the playerbase won't respect it. I've lazily watched a couple of reviews, the game only has LMP1 and GTE cars? Does it really throw you into the wall if you brake in a straight line on warm tires? I don't remember the reviewers saying anything like that? I'd say stick to the GTE cars but I don't think GTE has ABS?

No offense, and lord knows I'm not gonna be stealing Verstappen's seat anytime soon, but if you're as slow as you've said then why would anyone expect you to be able to handle these cars reliably? Being worried about "racing other people" when your lap times are in the gutter is painting a very bad picture of your sim reasoning and awareness. Watch videos and hotlap until you can drive the car at a reasonable pace. Racing is more just structured sorting by lap time

It's a tough thing, being a simracing developer. You have to make the cars as hard to drive as the real thing, or the playerbase won't respect it. I've lazily watched a couple of reviews, the game only has LMP1 and GTE cars? Does it really throw you into the wall if you brake in a straight line on warm tires? I don't remember the reviewers saying anything like that? I'd say stick to the GTE cars but I don't think GTE has ABS?
If you drive for fun, just put a bit of ABS and TC on. (F8-F9)
As driving on a sim you are missing some vital inputs to judge the grip.
Especially on a new super realistic sim.
When you really get to know the car, than put it off one by one.
But remember these things go out with stone cold tires and brakes that need at least 2 laps to get to proper working speed.

Purpose built race cars shouldn't be hard to drive except at the limit.
They're designed to handle, have massive braking systems, huge tyres etc.

But yeah, it's quite clear, after almost a month, in what direction - and speed - this is moving, and after initially giving them the benefit of the doubt, I've started to lose faith in the project. I have changed my Steam review to reflect an honest opinion instead of helping them get unwarranted positive attention.

Things like getting the entire channel slow moded on Discord when glaring issues are raised since it's a big annoyance, even by different people - i.e. assists which are clearly overpowered.

And them saying on day 1 that they'll communicate more on an issue going forward, and then no response after a month.

Also, giving bad advice like saying to people they should disable Afterburner because it causes crashes (it doesn't, it's clearly a different issue).

Or telling people to induce input lag by enabling vsync, just so that the menus aren't lagged to hell - again, bad advice, since the lag is caused 100% GPU usage, but really it's just shocking menu implementation.

I gave it a month but the appetite is gone.

Aged well.
Did it? :D

Since one of the patches, the LM(D)h cars won't start for me anymore, so I haven't played the game in some time, only trying it after an update to see if it works again.

That being said, there is an update downloading just now.

Did it? :D

Since one of the patches, the LM(D)h cars won't start for me anymore, so I haven't played the game in some time, only trying it after an update to see if it works again.

That being said, there is an update downloading just now.
Yeah, last week's patch removed some of them because the devs claim they don't do anything, but they clearly do.

I think the conclusion after 1 months is obvious:

They've tried to fix the most obvious & game breaking bugs and thus far the game is in a playable state. Truth be told, if it weren't for all those full-time efftards, the online racing would actually be pretty darn great (minus braindead LMP2 fixed setups). However, objectively you've got to consider this a decade old game, and although it's been stripped down to a basic content state, the few changes & additions to the graphics are not enough to make up for all the untouched issues rF2 has always had. And to me that is shocking to say the least. I'm not saying that the developers didn't put countless hours in this project, I'm sure they have, but it's very apparent that first and foremost this has been a quick cash grab more than anything else. I know I am over-simplyfying things here but what they should have done is to put the physics into a new game instead of rounding out a few edges of the existing game and call it a day. I mean, let's face it, rF2 wasn't known or praised for its overall design but merely for its fun physics. So yeah, they fooled most of us by getting our cash (then again, it's not a full price title and after deducting Steam's cut and taxes not too much actually goes to Studio 397's pocket) but all in all I do enjoy the short GTE races at the moment - despite the horrendous amount of total a-holes being unable to drive side-by-side, being unable lose a place on track without door to door contact or straight murder-death-killing other drivers on purpose. But yes, my hopes for big changes are very limited indeed.

Last edited:
It's likely that Rfactor 2's physics are inseparable from its graphics engine. And as a result, all these Rfactor 2 problems that reappear in Le Mans Ultimate cannot be fixed in such a simple way. They can't even start a new game using just physics. This would likely require more time-consuming programming work to develop the engine and update it to newer standards.

Latest News

To join the OverTake Racing Club races I want them to be: (multiple choice)

• Free to access

Votes: 101 91.8%
  • Better structured events

Votes: 18 16.4%
  • Better structured racing club forum

Votes: 17 15.5%
  • More use of default game content

Votes: 14 12.7%
  • More use of fixed setups

Votes: 31 28.2%
  • No 3rd party registration pages

Votes: 40 36.4%