AI Cars Braking Too Much: AIW, PLR, or Talent File Problem?

I've been through the file "tweaking" rounds with rF1, GTR2 and NR2003.

I recently have given Race 07 another try and now I remember why I dismissed it a long time ago (before I got into tweaking files) ... It's the weird braking problems the AI does that makes you ram them in the back on braking zone. And its not me, I've seen it in videos on YT on many different tracks. I'm wondering if it is a talent file issue (mistakes), a breaking power/grip issue, or a AIW issue (which I suspect less because I've seen it in many YT videos on different tracks)

Specifically, its not that they brake too late (which is the problem in rf1 and gtr2 even with tweaks in some cases), its that they brake too much immediately (seemingly at the correct point) before they even reach the apex of the corner. I even hit them when I anticipate this phenomenon and brake early to compensate.

I don't want to be "lazy" but honestly, I don't want to go through the time consuming tweaking of this game (or any game sim for that matter at this point) so if anyone knows a way to definitively fix this, then this would be appreciated.

I've noticed that in the PLR values the braking grip/power stuff is 1 while in rf1 and gt2 they are around .98 or so (which still needs to be lowered in gtr2) so i might quickly mess with this when i get home but I am skeptical this is the cause because I understand how these values work (or at least think I do) and this phenomenon seems to be a different problem, but I'll at least experiment. Again, I don't think they are braking late and braking A LOT to compensate, they are braking around a reasonable length but immediately slowing down to a crazy level.

Another thing might be that they are reacting to the car in front of them too sensitively even if they are not real close to the car but relatively close. I did change that one value (AI to AI collision rate) to 40 (from 20) but this phenomenon has never occured in rf1 or gtr2 but I might experiment changing it back.

Or it could be they are just making mistakes, getting hairy, and slowing down to compensate which would lead to the talent files.

Greetings, you seem to be experiencing a common issue with Race 07. Fortunately, there are various methods to tackle it. One option is to modify the brake grip usage through PLR, which you have already discovered. However, this method may not be effective for all tracks, as certain adjustments may result in slower AI. Adjusting the Collision rate does not affect the look-ahead feature as expected. Instead, it determines how frequently the AI scans for and reacts to other vehicles, which may not have a significant impact. It is worth noting that several PLR file adjustments that work in Rfactor or GTR2 may not be effective in Race 07, and sometimes the game may reset the modified values.

To improve your racing experience, utilizing the AIW file and Talent files is recommended. Ensure you have the talent files for the cars you're competing against, as even subpar files will result in better AI than the default settings. The Track aggression setting in the talent file is the most important setting to adjust, as it determines how much space the AI will leave when passing. If you're tired of getting bumped and hit by the AI, consider lowering this setting. In longer races (such as 50 laps), I've personally set it as low as 0.1, but adjust it to your preference, as setting it too low may result in a less exciting race for you.

In the tracks AIW file scroll down about a third of the way through the text and look for the [WAYPOINT] heading. Under this section you will find the Ai settings for the track and depending on the track some good settings may even be missing. If they are missing just add them in and save the file. The settings are...

AIBrakingStiffness=(1.0000,1.0000,0.9000)

The first value is rear-wheel drive. The second is four-wheel drive The third value is front-wheel drive. You can put this as low as 0.85. the Ai will brake earlier because they have less power in the brakes. Adjust it to suit your breaking style, some people seem to have magical powers and can brake very late.

Slowwhenpushed=(1.00)

This setting is how much the Ai will slow down if they are pushed/bumped or loose control. You should put this at about 0.3. If it's too high the ai will slam on the brakes everytime they are bumped, too low and they will just keep going no mater what. this setting is often missing from Race 07 AIW files.

AIDraftStickiness=(1.00)

How close the AI will stick to the racing line. A default value of 1.00 will make the AI follow each other in a nice straight line. Lower values will see a bit of variation and more overtakes. 0.95-0.98 recommended.) Tracks that have been converted often have a value of 4. You should change this as it's from Rfactor. The max value in Race07 is 1.0.

I will stop there. There are many other ways to effect the Ai but these are the most basic settings that have the biggest effect. If you have any further questions don't hesitate to ask.

Latest News

What's needed for simracing in 2024?

• More games, period

• Better graphics/visuals

• Advanced physics and handling

• More cars and tracks

• AI improvements

• AI engineering

• Cross-platform play

• New game Modes

• Other, post your idea

Results are only viewable after voting.