3D MAX & You

Jarrod Crossley

Rubbin Racer!
So your looking at producing your own renders, You've got one of the many version of 3d max and your wondering whats next.

Well here is some of the ins and outs :

First off you'll need Spluterfish's Brazil you can download the demo vresion known as Rio from there site here:- SplutterFish, LLC: Home

Next you'll need the 3D max car scenes for Race07 and those are availble via:- Portal - raceskinning you'll have to register there.

So now you have evrything you need to get started. All you need to do now is load up a scene and go right?

Wrong due to the fact these scenes where made with a differant version of MAX and a full version of Brazil, Youlll have to make some alterations to get it to look the way you want.

So you load your scene and it looks like this:

Terrible isn't it well first off we need to set up are renderer so on the top menu bar find "Rendering" and from the drop down find "Render Setup" click on that and you'll get a menu:

Now due to the fact we are using Rio we are restricted to image size (1024x511 max) so for now select 640x480. Now on the same menu scroll down tp were it says "Assign Renderer" This is where we are going to be telling it to use Brazil Rio. So click on the three little dots:

and from the drop down menu select Brazil:

Cloning in Max

So you want to have two of the same car in the same scene but with differant liveries.

start off by opening your car scene and the selecting all the car and going to "Edit" then got to "Clone":

A popup box will appear and from the box select "Intance":

Once you have done that select the "Move" tool and move the copied car away from the original:

At first you will see it has the same textures as the original. So now you need to apply new materials and textures to the copy:

When draging and droping the new material to the copy youll get a popup box asking if you want to apply the materal and texture to "Object" or "Selection" choose "Asign to Object":

Do this for each part of the car, bumpers, pannels and so on and again if your altering the widows apply a new material and texture. This will now give you two cars of the same type in the same scene but with differant liveries.

• flyeingfinn

When i try to open 3D files, 3DMax tells me about missing dll's and cannot load the scene, what might be the problem. The scene is viewable in the scene selection window (small).

3DSMax R7 and Brazil Rio

When i try to open 3D files, 3DMax tells me about missing dll's and cannot load the scene, what might be the problem. The scene is viewable in the scene selection window (small).

3DSMax R7 and Brazil Rio

You will get this error if you click ok it should load the scene but the model will be black. Meaning youll have to redoe the materals and textures.

Jarrod: To render the xfiles in 3ds max, do we need Vray, Maya or Brazil or do these just improve the quality of the render?

Vray, Brazil and so on are render engines within Max. As for opening an xfile all you should need is the Deeps Plugin. But why not just save time and download the 3ds Scenes from RD.

Which render scenes are you using?

1. the ones on RD
2. the one from the link in the tut

If the first these scenes are set for 3ds Max 2009 and therefore wont work in Max 8, if the second click ok and the scenes should load but the models will be black and need materials done.

Whoooooohaaaaa, my first render of my 3rd skin :)

yes, yes, i know... not everything is in the right place but i did it :)

Manny thanks to Jarrod for this most helpful post..
render gumpert copy.jpg

Latest News

What would be the ideal raceday for you to join our Club Races?

• Monday

Votes: 13 13.4%
  • Tuesday

Votes: 10 10.3%
  • Wednesday

Votes: 10 10.3%
  • Thursday

Votes: 12 12.4%
  • Friday

Votes: 37 38.1%
  • Saturday

Votes: 53 54.6%