DiRT Colin Mcrae 1 and 2 Help

I didn't know anywhere else I could ask this, where I would get better help than this site. I know someone has worked on getting these games to work on windows 10 before. Does anyone know how to get Colin Mcrae 1 and 2 working on Windows 10 without having to use an older OS in a virtual machine or through a PS1 emulator? I would love to try these games out. I have went through all the repackage mods as well as the youtube video tutorials with no luck.

Colin Mcrae 1 will load but 8 seconds in will stutter and freeze indefinitely.
Colin Mcare 2 will never launch with the event viewer stating faulty application. Nothing I've done has worked from compatibility mode, downloading all directx, net framework, redistributles, messing with voodoo wrapper, running as admin, changing download locations etc.

Any help would be greatly appreciated!

Do not install in any "Program Files" folders, make sure your account has full access to the install folders, try different video modes, try running in a window, try limiting affinity to a single core (this alone has fixed several older games for me).

There are some videos on youtube about CM1 in Win10.

But, sadly, there are some older games that just will not play nicely with modern windows.

I spent weeks trying to get Crimson Skies working in Win7, low-res graphics and FPS fluctuating between 60 and 4 made it unplayable; eventually tried the DGVoodoo wrapper, this got me nice high res graphics and good frame rates ...and the menus were corrupted. Back to the DGVoodoo forums with a screenshot but no more help was forthcoming so I gave up.

Most of these older games have quite low resource requirements (by today's standards) so XP in a VM may be your best option.

Last edited:
Thank you for the reply. I will try the single core attempt. My only issue with doing a vm also is that I am trying to tie in x360ce software to allow my wheel to act as a controller for the game to steer. I wanted to give it a try as anything with this game will probably not work well with a wheel due to its age, but a VM would limit that.

Latest News

To join the OverTake Racing Club races I want them to be: (multiple choice)

• Free to access

Votes: 219 88.0%
  • Better structured events

Votes: 44 17.7%
  • Better structured racing club forum

Votes: 35 14.1%
  • More use of default game content

Votes: 37 14.9%
  • More use of fixed setups

Votes: 67 26.9%
  • No 3rd party registration pages

Votes: 84 33.7%