Splitting out my race and flight sim PC

One of the things I want to avoid is all the broken registry crap that happens when you swap stuff around, install and uninstall programs etc. Maybe it's a little neurotic, but I want everything to run as simply as possible.

Is there anything I SHOULD leave until getting the 4070 installed?
The "keep your Windows clean for best performance" is basically a thing of the past, when using HDD instead of SSD as the system drive.
Since the needle doesn't have to jump around on the disk anymore, it's completely irrelevant, as long as there are no bugs.

And these bugs basically only happen, when you swap the CPU or GPU manufacturer.
For CPU, you're screwed, but there are barely any bugs happening.
For GPU, bugs are way more likely, but not an issue since you can use DDU to completely clean your system from the old GPU driver :)

So: just install whatever you want, there won't be any issues at all.
Programs don't care anyway and for Windows, there's DDU.

***starts googling DDU****

Thanks for the feedback! I will go ahead and do what I can, and will check out that DDU thing

Cheers

Les
Display Driver Uninstaller :D

Download the latest nvidia driver, then:
Download DDU, unzip it, disable/unplug your Internet connection, hold shift while clicking on Windows Restart, then navigate through the appearing boot menu to start in "secure mode".
Then run DDU and let it clean up everything.
Do a normal restart, install the latest nvidia driver, then enable/plug in your Internet.

Done :)

In the ended I cheated a bit, and robbed the 3070 card from my flight rig temporarily.

However I can definitely confirm that it was worth it. Straight out of the box all of the weird VR effects are gone (apparently), games are starting in the correct front and center position, no getting stuck in WMR, and consistent behaviour.

I still have to go through the ball-ache of all the individual Fanatec, Next Level Racing V3, and game specific setups, but that's more remembering how to do it rather than it being a problem. I know I will be re-reading a load of my previous threads to get a lot of the answers to lot of them.

Immediately obvious is a lot smoother VR, as well as the better overall VR experience. The better CPU, coupled with maybe the change to DDR5 RAM seems to have made a lot of difference, remembering I am using the same GPU pro tem. The game that seems to have benefitted the most is ACC, which before was a decidedly choppy, stuttery experience. Now it is indistinguishable from the likes of AMS2.

How much of the improvement is due to the new hardware, and how much is due to a 'clean' install? No idea, to be honest, but I do suspect that the sheer amount of rubbish on the old PC was a factor in the erratic behaviour. Add to that the fact that the GPU will also be an upgrade when it finally arrives (over 2 months and waiting....) means I am looking at further improvements down the line.

So these are initial impressions, let's see whether that continues to be the case!

Les

Latest News

What's needed for simracing in 2024?

• More games, period

• Better graphics/visuals

• Advanced physics and handling

• More cars and tracks

• AI improvements

• AI engineering

• Cross-platform play

• New game Modes

• Other, post your idea