Slow loading front page article images

Shovas

Premium
I've been seeing this happening the past few weeks, the article images are drawing in line by line over the span of 5-10 seconds. A hard refresh reproduces the issue.

The feature article image was almost 1MB and one of the article images was 1.4MB. I don't know if it's just about the images, maybe there's other large resources.

I notice the images are sent with much more area that gets cropped off when actually presented on the page, so a lot of bytes being used by parts of the image that are never seen.

I'm on 150Mbps and everything else about the site loads very fast just not the images.

The following image, which I uploaded with this post, got the link, and viewed without cache directly, also exhibits slow loading even though it's less than 400KB

I learned the trick of offloading delivery of assets like this to another server. There's just so many asset http requests they swamp out the http server's ability to handle many requests at once. I didn't see anything like an img or cdn subdomain watching the network console for that url above, it just loaded from www.racedepartment.com so as far as I can see there's no asset server.

1704819803629.png

1704819929978.png

Yeah okay Google PageSpeed Insights knows what's up

1704820627938.png

Last edited:
I've been seeing this happening the past few weeks, the article images are drawing in line by line over the span of 5-10 seconds. A hard refresh reproduces the issue.
Thanks for the feedback. I've seen those article "cover" images taking a few tenths of a second to load (longer than I'd like, but then some of them are too big) but never seconds; at least not since we upgraded the server bandwidth a few months back.
Puzzled about why you'd be seeing them taking so long... Will ponder it though.
The following image, which I uploaded with this post, got the link, and viewed without cache directly, also exhibits slow loading even though it's less than 400KB
I can't seem to reproduce that one being slow - how slow is it for you?

Thanks also for the PageSpeed report. Some of the key issues it flags will be addressed by the next major update of the XenForo forum software that we use here (it's probably some months away though). Will have a think about the others. (Note though that PageSpeed sees multiple ad-related things which you won't see as a Premium member.)

Latest News

What's needed for simracing in 2024?

• More games, period

• Better graphics/visuals

• Advanced physics and handling

• More cars and tracks

• AI improvements

• AI engineering

• Cross-platform play

• New game Modes

• Other, post your idea

Results are only viewable after voting.