Is VR Great?

PS: The FOV-ratios compare to the display-ratio are quite interesting, because they show why HMDs have certain disadvantages. The Quest 3 for example has a 11:10 FOV with a 10:11 display-ratio. This little difference was made with a reduction of binocular overlap and because of it, I have some problems playing Eleven Table Tennis when the ball is going outside the overlap even it's still sharp. The BSB has probably stretched the image quite a bit and people saying it has color shifts and blurry image outside the sweet-spot. Pimax Crystal and AVP have the best visuals because both HMDs don't do tricks to stretch the hFOV.

Last edited:
98Vx136H Not bad
90 degree stereo overlap has been claimed for VR1.
maxFoV.png

undistorted 140HFoV requires at least 115 FoV per eye;
measured 98V suggests vertical masking.

Last edited:
And here is where the disinformation by Pimax about plastic lenses starts to show up.

It's absolutely incorrect and has nothing to do with using plastic or glass.

The current VR1 lenses with no Amalence software running are supposed to have LESS CA than the current Pimax glass lenses with Amalence software fixing CA.
You have to remember that the have a different lense design, utilising two lenses and while I am not familiar with their design, two lenses are often used to reduce CA, irrespective of their material. Second, they may just have a better software correction. No doubt that they are able to achieve great results with optically good plastic but glass can have the edge if comparing apples with apples and at the moment we are not.

The Somnium VR1 was announced in December 2021 and now it's almost May 2024 without a release date...
Promising a huge hFOV with a 1:1 display ratio display is just pure BS. If this would work properly with some kind of lense-design, a competitor would've figured it out already, but it just doesn't work without major shortcomings.

Last edited:

UEVR Profile Website

UEVR hacks many nominally flat screen games using Unreal Engine to work in VR.
Many of those hacked games want UEVR setting tweaks.
This website tabulates game-specific user ratings
and in some (many?) cases offers game-specific profiles.

Last edited:
So far Steve has the following:

Crystal 35ppd glass lenses 104 hFOV
Crystal wide FOV lenses 115 hFOV ( bad binocular vision, poor image quality)
Somnium VR1 plastic lenses 125 hFOV with light pressure 130 hFOV if he tightens it down.
Artur is looking at thinner cushions and just measured 136 hFOV.

1713439221944.png

Then Steve says the VR1 is much brighter.

People were speculating that the VR1 must be overdriving their panels to get better brightness.

1713439280256.png

Given the VR1 has two lenses spreading the exact same display's light over a wider area, this would indicate that they have much less light loss going through two plastic lenses than the Crystal has going through a single glass lens. Obviously you can't create light that doesn't exist, but you can capture it more efficiently and route more of it to your eye balls.

I've asked Artur the following by means of a follow up based on a discussion with @metalnwood.

"So would you say that you are capturing more of the total light off the display with the first lens and then focusing a higher percentage of the total light to the second lens with less light wasted?"

Pimax originally claimed the Crystal would have 125 hFOV and as much as 140 with wide lenses to be delivered later and ended up with 102-104 and ~115 for the(poor quality) wide lens and never released the 42ppd lens. So now you believe they are capable of making a 130 hFOV lens that is high enough quality for 15Mp displays?

Then you make comments about initial thoughts on pre-production VR1 lenses which included comments about the people looking at the VR1 which included Brad who had very bad things to say about the Crystal and who generally does not like aspheric lenses. The VR1 lenses have gone through many iterations since then vs. where they are now. Compare that to the Crystal actually shipped to many customers with very poor quality lenses that they had to replace later and shipped in boxes not made for them causing many to break in shipping making them unusable. They didn't come with working DFR because the software wasn't done yet. Then there were issues with the supplied cables, USB hubs, the better headphones had delays, etc.. etc..

Compare that with Steve saying that the pre-production VR1 worked out of the box and was as easy to setup as the Beyond.

I think Steve has spent a lot of time building his credibility in the VR sim community, and either he is lying about this and will lose that credibility when the VR1 goes out the door, or there is truth to what he is saying.

Time will tell.

Last edited:
I forgot YouTuber No. 3 who didn't like the lenses due to chromatic aberration, so even more strange that Steve can't see this problem and is the only one who got an updated version...

His 'through the lenses' footage looks a bit strange from the colors, which can be likely improved, but I doubt they fully fix the lenses and the distortion profile must be very aggressive (also seen in the video at 7:12) to get this hFOV out of square displays. But no matter how good it will be, who's buying it for 1899 € without eye- and motion-tracking with a shape that makes the Crystal look compact?

Glad you have a solution that works for you.

FWIW, I got some feedback from someone who got the Oblik custom facial interface for the Q3 and he said it was very hard and he didn't like it. He also said the interface for the Index was unusable. So it's still very hit or miss and some people will not like it.

I've guessed some things right, but have really missed a few things too.

One that I missed was the DP1.4a bandwidth issue. They ended up getting around that with visually lossless compression used by all modern headsets.

So now the question is whether DP2.1 will be required for new 15Mp headsets, or some new compression will allow them to double their compression to allow DP1.4 to continue.

I was very surprised that the 4090 didn't have DP2.1, but it turns out it really wasn't needed at the time. With the 5090 coming in the next year, this question comes up again. Will Nvidia finally add DP 2.1?

The XR-4 has hobbled itself ( used that term before ) with the DP 1.4 connector for all uses without Quad View.

Last edited:

Latest News

What's needed for simracing in 2024?

• More games, period

• Better graphics/visuals

• Advanced physics and handling

• More cars and tracks

• AI improvements

• AI engineering

• Cross-platform play

• New game Modes

• Other, post your idea