DX11

Who said that they weren't interested in improving the graphics, it has been discussed many times and answers have been given , about how it may be done within the KW/raceroom/sector3/simbin uk stables

Andi
The last mention I saw was related to GTR3. But this project, as I understand it, is either closed or frozen, so there is no news for a long time.

Okay, can you say something about that? Is there any development or any movement on graphical improvement?

There was mention from the devs (JF) about a yr or so ago that they were considering moving to dx11 sooner rather than later after the launch of GTR3 to improve performance.......but haven't heard any follow up since.

The mystical GTR3 that RD's own Paul got to test a few yrs ago on his visit to the studio was Raceroom placeholder content running on the new UE4 engine.

As a VR user I'd love to see atleast an update to dx11 for the improved performance.

• Deleted member 197115

What kind of VR improvements are expected from DX11?
Comparing to other sims R3E in VR already looks pretty awesome and performs surprisingly well.

Last edited by a moderator:
What kind of VR improvements are expected from DX11?
Overall performance. DX9 isn't officially supported by VR, hasn't moved on accordingly, and therefore isn't optimised for use as a VR platform.

That said, I don't think the potential gains are anything like what certain people claim them to be. There are plenty of DX11 games that run like crap in VR too...

• Deleted member 197115

I've heard that too but to my recollection that was never elaborated down to the details on why exactly.
From practical VR user perspective and comparing to other sims I'd say the performance is better than I'd expect for that level of details and visual fidelity.

I've heard that too but to my recollection that was never elaborated down to the details on why exactly.
I have no idea either. Just more efficient and less resource intensive to produce similar effects I suppose? Though as always, that depends on numerous other things and not just the number after the DX. I think people just latch onto "keywords" as if they're some kind of magic bullet that solve all issues.

From practical VR user perspective and comparing to other sims I'd say the performance is better than I'd expect for that level of details and visual fidelity.
Same here. I think R3E looks and performs as well as many other VR sims/games, if not better. In fact, of the four sims I play it probably has the best quality to performance ratio of the lot.

I have no idea either. Just more efficient and less resource intensive to produce similar effects I suppose? Though as always, that depends on numerous other things and not just the number after the DX. I think people just latch onto "keywords" as if they're some kind of magic bullet that solve all issues.

Same here. I think R3E looks and performs as well as many other VR sims/games, if not better. In fact, of the four sims I play it probably has the best quality to performance ratio of the lot.

I can't agree on this one.
Raceroom runs ok on my system in VR (Ryzen 7 3700X with a 2080) but comparing to other sims in VR it stutters quite a lot, especially with grids + 20 cars (and depending on the track). AC, RF2, Iracing and AMS2 run a lot better performancewise and that's because they're optimized for DX11. Only ACC sucks on my system but that doesn't matter as I don't like GT3 cars so I uninstalled this one quite in the beginning.

I'd love to see Raceroom move to a newer engine in the future.

• Deleted member 197115

In simple terms: DX9 is single threaded, DX11 can be multi threaded. More info here. That's the reason why you need a very fast CPU to run R3E smoothly.
Except that all sims including the latest ACC use single rendering thread regardless of DirectX version used.
I am getting same performance in R3E as in AC, except R3E looks clearer with higher res textures, better antialiasing, and longer drawing distance.
This is i9-9900K, 1080Ti
Some of you might be put off by what I think is a bug when performance tanks with time multiplier enabled. But I do not see DX11 solving for that, same as DX11 alone will not solve for how application is coded to use single or multiple threads for rendering.

Latest News

What would be the ideal raceday for you to join our Club Races?

• Monday

Votes: 17 12.3%
  • Tuesday

Votes: 15 10.9%
  • Wednesday

Votes: 14 10.1%
  • Thursday

Votes: 16 11.6%
  • Friday

Votes: 50 36.2%
  • Saturday

Votes: 82 59.4%