Advertising to premium members?

blekenbleu

SimHub+Arduino hacker
Premium
ads.jpg

Using Chrome browser Version 122.0.6261.111 on Windows 11

I know it looks somewhat like advertising but that's actually a site notice (which is shown to everyone) to alert you to a product discount.

NB: it'll only show until you hit the little "x" in the top right corner. (Would you really not want to know about a product discount like this? There may be a way for us to create an opt-out setting in the future.)

I know it looks somewhat like advertising but that's actually a site notice (which is shown to everyone) to alert you to a product discount.

NB: it'll only show until you hit the little "x" in the top right corner. (Would you really not want to know about a product discount like this? There may be a way for us to create an opt-out setting in the future.)

My small feedback on this is reg. the second infobox that didn't even have discount, but just about Fanatec and "click here". That felt more like an ad.

And reg the ( ) question. No, not really. If it is a premium member discount, and it's clear that it is the case - fine. But a general discount for everyone. Then for me, it feels like a straight ad.

And RaceDepartment is providing this notification completely without any incentive from these companies?
You can call it whatever you want, but it is advertisement.

The "x" does get rid of it for some time, but it does reappear every so often. I guess whenever the notification gets updated. An opt-out setting would be appreciated.

And RaceDepartment is providing this notification completely without any incentive from these companies?
You can call it whatever you want, but it is advertisement.
I personally have no clue about any incentives, but the affiliate link certainly makes that a distinct possibility.
An opt-out setting would be appreciated.
Will look into how much mucking around that would require :thumbsup:

PS: it's not that it reappears from time to time, but rather that a new notice is created from time to time.

Last edited:
Agreed, that is an advertisement for something I have zero interest in.

Also why are the post formatting options greyed out for conversations and for this post?

It feels like we are having features pulled away.

I wanted some basic formatting in a conversation and have no means of doing that.

Last edited:
Also why are the post formatting options greyed out for conversations and for this post?
This usually means that you've toggled BBcodes and either forgotten about it (usual case for me) or not realised that you'd done it at all.

Right now, the toggle is annoyingly well hidden (will seek to fix that), but if you click the three-dot menu on the right of the undo/redo/"remove formatting" block, you'll see the toggle button in question - a pair of square brackets. See pics below.

1710004243425.png

1710004260179.png

You need to use more emojies! :D
The emojie button isn't clickable, when you're in BB-Code mode by accident :p

About the "advertisement": it doesn't feel like "from time to time" but more like a "on page refresh or every hour".
I know it's not as frequent, but yeah, it's annoying..

Last edited:
About the "advertisement": it doesn't feel like "from time to time" but more like a "on page refresh or every hour".
OK, that's definitely not how it should be.
I just confirmed that the dismissal of these notices is stored in the database rather than in a cookie, so it should never come back once you've dismissed it. Are you certain that you've seen the same notice reappear? :-O

OK, that's definitely not how it should be.
I just confirmed that the dismissal of these notices is stored in the database rather than in a cookie, so it should never come back once you've dismissed it. Are you certain that you've seen the same notice reappear? :-O
No, it's always a different one, but it feels like I'd have to click it away 5x per day or something like that.
I'm gonna try to log it down :)

Latest News

What's needed for simracing in 2024?

• More games, period

• Better graphics/visuals

• Advanced physics and handling

• More cars and tracks

• AI improvements

• AI engineering

• Cross-platform play

• New game Modes

• Other, post your idea