Worried about the future of rF2

As the topic suggests...

As a long time ISI supporter and follower, i am now feeling a bit worried for the future.The number of new users coming in to rFactor2 seems to be dwindling.

Also there is a long time between the new official content. And even when there is official content released, it seems to fail to gather an interest (Civics in December) amongst the yet unitiated.

Also, the mod community seems a lot more reluctant than for rF1, with very few members adding content.This is even more worrying as it was the foundation of rF1 and a big selling point for bringing more people to the franchise (race anything you like).

ISI now also faces a stiff competition as the "sim" genre has become "hot" again with more titles in the works, that seem to gather a LOT more interest: AC, pCars etc.

The old veterans like myself are finding ourselves drawn to the likes of GSC, and newcomers are moving towards AC and probably DTM Experience.

I start this topic to see if someone shares my worries, and also to discuss if something can be done to once again bring more interest to rF2?

My personal idea is to go for Steam greenlighting (i actually REALLY like Steam as a platform), to gain exposure and also simplify the purchasing as well as updating.
Connecting it to Workshop makes modding interesting again, like what AC proposes.

I want rF2 to succeed, it is by far the most comprehensive take on simulating the actual race mechanics and based on that it should be the goto title for the serious sim-user, but right now i fear it is not.

Discussions on graphics i will however discard personally, as a) rF2 is pretty enough and b) the prettiest of settings in something like pCars is inaccesible to 95% of users.

So, what is your view of the status of the product?

Points of improvement needed going forward as identified in this thread so far:

* Better GUI (incoming)
* Steam integration and release
* Possible new distribution method that would automate updates and sync, if not steam
* New official content
* More transparent development
* Shorter build intervals
* More efficient code and optimization of codebase
* A possibility to "lock down" the core functionality, to deliver something considered stable and final
* New updater that allows automatic updating of content as well, including adding NEW
content

Last edited:
The new UI is definitely a step in the right direction, showing that focus is finally starting to include fixing up some of the superficial parts of the product, such as UI and presentation.

I think we should also rejoice for the changes made to the HDR graphics subsystem as it now gives way better lighting and scene contrast as opposed to earlier builds with bleak and whitewashed picture quality. The ranges are much better now.

And it looks very pretty, even compared to its rivals on more contempory technical platforms.

However, optimization is now needed ASAP. Some car models still have lod issues, causing huge slowdowns on larger grids visible and the infernal rain visuals can still kill any modern high-end gpu, bringing even the mighty 780's to their knees in flames.

It is in fact worrying that no real change has occured in that department for some time now.
Are we actually seeing the limits of the old engine base? Like we also do in GSC2013 for instance?

I still think the roadmap should be:

Optimize the base code NOW, physics AND visuals
Lock said base code, and do not allow large changes
Work on UI, network, patching system, packaging and possible Steam distribution
Release packages of several cars and tracks, developed over time

In that order.

Also, new point: WHY is the updater STILL not capable of updating the official ISI content as well as the main program!? Or fetch new content for that matter...

I've just upgraded my gaming PC to be able to play rFactor 2. I've waited a long time to be able to play it with any kind of decent visuals as I bought rFactor 2 the day it came out. I tried racing in the Honda Civic on Silverstone and pumped up all the detail to full and yet was disappointed in what I saw. I don't feel as though the physics stand out against AC or iRacing and the visuals were pretty tame. Perhaps its a setting someone can suggest I try or maybe its the track itself but the track surface looked like I was driving on a grey blotchy blanket. It didn't seem to have any definition to it. Graphically it just looked washed out so perhaps someone here can suggest a few settings. Frame rate was good though, perhaps I should try a different track tonight when I get more time.

I've just upgraded my gaming PC to be able to play rFactor 2. I've waited a long time to be able to play it with any kind of decent visuals as I bought rFactor 2 the day it came out. I tried racing in the Honda Civic on Silverstone and pumped up all the detail to full and yet was disappointed in what I saw. I don't feel as though the physics stand out against AC or iRacing and the visuals were pretty tame. Perhaps its a setting someone can suggest I try or maybe its the track itself but the track surface looked like I was driving on a grey blotchy blanket. It didn't seem to have any definition to it. Graphically it just looked washed out so perhaps someone here can suggest a few settings. Frame rate was good though, perhaps I should try a different track tonight when I get more time.
Have you turned HDR On in the launcher config. It makes a massive diffrence.

I cant agree on the physics. They are outstanding and the FFB is also a lot better than in AC (imo).
Have you driven on a green track, because that results in very low grip levels.

I'll double check the settings in the launcher tonight, thanks for the tip. I just feel AC 'feels' better on the edge of the performance of a car
Ok, that is strange for me it is quite the opposite. I cant really feel the limit of the car in AC. I go faster and faster and suddenly I am off without a warning or time to react. In rF2 I can really feel thr limit of grip at the front and at the rear.

You definetely should try some rear wheel drive cars like the Megane. FWD is very diffrent to drive in general.

I'll double check the settings in the launcher tonight, thanks for the tip. I just feel AC 'feels' better on the edge of the performance of a car

I agree that AC is the benchmark standard in FFB for racing sims to me right now. rFactor 2 or Game Stock Car Extreme would be right behind AC and then further back, iRacing depending on which damn tire model each car uses. iRacing can't seem to change tire models across the board on all cars at the same time which is simply ridiculous leaving some cars with different handling and FFB physics than others.

I'm thinking I may have my settings all wrong on AC as I just cant get the same level of "feel" that I get in RF2. @Kevin Watts ive found the look of RF2 has a LOT to do with the content your using and the time of day your racing, try setting the time of day to around 3:30pm

heres a screenshot taken last night. No graphics mods or jiggery pokery, just the vanilla game with everything maxed out.
amwes.jpg

tell me that doesn't look bootiful!

I'm thinking I may have my settings all wrong on AC as I just cant get the same level of "feel" that I get in RF2. @Kevin Watts ive found the look of RF2 has a LOT to do with the content your using and the time of day your racing, try setting the time of day to around 3:30pm

heres a screenshot taken last night. No graphics mods or jiggery pokery, just the vanilla game with everything maxed out.
amwes.jpg

tell me that doesn't look bootiful!

What wheel are you using? For the T500 or TX, I use overall FFB gain of 75%, Kerbs 50%, Road 50%, Slip 40%. Everything else at default.

Then i'm just a weirdo who can feel at home in both! ;) Choose the sim that feels best to you and have fun with it. :cool:

As for sim FFB vs real FFB: if i go through a corner at 120 km/h and the rear is starting to slide. I don't wait until a got response through my steering wheel. It won't be a happy end.

A sim simulates a racing experience: outsmart your component on the racetrack, tire management, fuel management, pitstop strategy,...

@Kevin Watts : don't forget to put some "rubber" on track. i seldom drive on a green track. Let 29 AI drive on track for 15 min. use ctrl-x to speed up time.
Keep in mind that if you drive the Meganes that it is a light car with a stiff suspension. steering is very direct and feel of weight transfer is much less then a road or semi road car from AC.

In my opinion AC is the best in the feel of weight transfer with the road cars and semi race cars.

Then i'm just a weirdo who can feel at home in both! ;) Choose the sim that feels best to you and have fun with it. :cool:

As for sim FFB vs real FFB: if i go through a corner at 120 km/h and the rear is starting to slide. I don't wait until a got response through my steering wheel. It won't be a happy end.

A sim simulates a racing experience: outsmart your component on the racetrack, tire management, fuel management, pitstop strategy,...

@Kevin Watts : don't forget to put some "rubber" on track. i seldom drive on a green track. Let 29 AI drive on track for 15 min. use ctrl-x to speed up time.
Keep in mind that if you drive the Meganes that it is a light car with a stiff suspension. steering is very direct and feel of weight transfer is much less then a road or semi road car from AC.

In my opinion AC is the best in the feel of weight transfer with the road cars and semi race cars.

AC just feels more right to me than any other sim, whether its realistic I'll never know since I can't use those same cars in real life on those same tracks. I just know it feels extremely satisfying to drive every car in AC.

@Blkout and @Kevin Watts : If you like drifting in AC? Try the new Ponaz AIV Roadster: download.

Oh I've tried it, that car has no traction, at least not in the first few laps anyway. I usually end up against the wall before the first lap is complete. LOL. I have the same problem with the Skip Barber too.

I'll say this, sometimes I think my problem is that I jump from sim to sim and that just throws everything off because they all feel different. If I start off playing AC, then jump to rF2, I'll end up hating the handling, but if I start off playing rF2 I find it very satisfying.

The traded tyres on the skippy are not the best on a green the track but if you use the National with R1 slicks they are much better. To get to the National car with R1 slick you have to choose the national car in the upgrades section ==> click on the tuning box at the bottom of the car selection screen. For more immersion , you can add the visor mod as well. Or just put a helmet on.:)

most of the time the tracks are green when you first go on them i let the ai run round for 10 mins and then i can get up to speed with the cars, not that im quick but its great fun and very rewarding to drive.
just before i finish i save the real road for next time.. and load it up when going on track again.
i remember when i first started driving the sim every corer i crashed, until i was told about the green track..

What wheel are you using? For the T500 or TX, I use overall FFB gain of 75%, Kerbs 50%, Road 50%, Slip 40%. Everything else at default.
Well thats the best AC has felt to me, quite enjoyed it...did feel a little over forgiving and at times dare i say "simcade" but that may be just because im used to being punished for every single mistake in rf2. One thing i did notice is the t500 felt a lot more "geary" than im used to in rf2. I tried the bmw z4 as that is my goto car in rf2 at the moment (URD egt mod is AMAZING for RF2, worth every penny!!), any suggestions on car/track for AC? @Blkout

The traded tyres on the skippy are not the best on a green the track but if you use the National with R1 slicks they are much better. To get to the National car with R1 slick you have to choose the national car in the upgrades section ==> click on the tuning box at the bottom of the car selection screen. For more immersion , you can add the visor mod as well. Or just put a helmet on.:)

most of the time the tracks are green when you first go on them i let the ai run round for 10 mins and then i can get up to speed with the cars, not that im quick but its great fun and very rewarding to drive.
just before i finish i save the real road for next time.. and load it up when going on track again.
i remember when i first started driving the sim every corer i crashed, until i was told about the green track..

Oh yea I'm aware of the green track for the first few laps, but its frustrating when the AI can drive away from you while you struggle to maintain traction for a few laps until the track gets rubbered. I mean, its seems logical that they should be struggling with traction too, like I do.

Well thats the best AC has felt to me, quite enjoyed it...did feel a little over forgiving and at times dare i say "simcade" but that may be just because im used to being punished for every single mistake in rf2. One thing i did notice is the t500 felt a lot more "geary" than im used to in rf2. I tried the bmw z4 as that is my goto car in rf2 at the moment (URD egt mod is AMAZING for RF2, worth every penny!!), any suggestions on car/track for AC? @Blkout

I enjoy the Lotus 49 when I want a car that's a challenge because you can pretty much step the rear end out at anytime and try to recover it, sometimes I just enjoy drifting around turns in it. I love that its right on the edge of breaking the tires loose with just a blip of the throttle. The F40 is like that as well but much less forgiving. That car wants to break loose all the time and its much harder to catch a bad slide in it, but what car lover doesn't love the F40, I can't hate that car even if I wanted to.

For racing feel, I like the Lotus 2-Eleven, Ferrari 312T, KTM X-Bow, BMW Z4 GT3, BMW E30.

I find myself racing Silverstone, Imola, Monza 1966, Mugello mostly, The others are ok, but most of the tracks are so tight that you spend a lot of time on the brakes and not a lot of time ever letting the car get going. I guess I like some moments to really wind the car out a little. All of those tracks have some straights to open the cars up a bit.

i think what you're feeling in the T500 is cogging, and I noticed it too. Since switching to a Thrustmaster TX, that cogging feeling is gone. I've already stated in another thread that I think the TX is a slightly superior base compared to the T500 base, the wheel and pedals on the TX are another story. The TX is just SO smooth though in its FFB, such a pleasure. I still have my T500 though and don't plan to get rid of it.

In regards to my previous settings, if you find those settings still too strong, try moving the T500 overall gain down to 50% in the control panel, then move the overall gain in AC game settings to 60% and move the kerb down to 40%, and road down to 40%. That will soften the FFB effects some if you find it too strong with my previous settings.

Latest News

Are you buying car setups?

• Yes

• No

Results are only viewable after voting.
Back