Wheel recommendation

Hi guys (and gals)

I'm looking to pick-up a wheel and pedal set to use with AC. I've been using a keyboard but have reached a point where my driving will not improve without the ability to make proper steering and throttle/brake inputs.

So my question is... without getting into crazy $$$$$$$$ what wheel and pedal set would you recommend for the sim. I'm willing to consider a separate wheel and pedal purchase if a wheel set (like the G27) is not sufficient.

Thanks.

How do you feel the curbs if you set it to 0%? This is strictly AC talk because most sims/games don't have a seperate slider for curbs, its just part of the overall FFB. At 0%, you should not be getting any curb feedback which means you run over a curb, you get no FFB effect at all. You may not want that feedback, but I like to know when my wheels are on the curbs. Are you saying that you just prefer the FFB from the understeer of the tires more than the effect of running over the curb? If so, I guess I can understand what you're saying since that is just a driving style preference. I prefer to feel the curbs to know when I'm at the edge of the track, you prefer to know when you're understeering and don't care as much about where the edge of the track is. Is that correct?

Well, as the G27 translates the effects of tyre activity - be it grip loss, bumps on the track, bumps off the track etc, there is no reason to believe the same sensation isnt naturally felt when the tyre runs over a curb. All that adding canned 'curb' effects does is amplifies the rumble on top of the standard feeling of when the tyres are running the curb.
That's certainly what I am feeling through my wheel anyway.

Between the G27 and the DFGT, I'd choose the latter. Have had both of these wheels and the G27 well, to me it sucked so much I returned it to the shop a few days after purchase. It is loud, makes a horrid rattling sound every time you are over a kerb, on the grass or when you lock the brakes, and its force feedback is so weak you can barely feel anything in corners. True, it is strong enough when you're on the straight, you feel all the bumps nicely, but once you start to turn it there is nothing, it's as if the wheel was on the spring. You can't feel the car oversteer or understeer, you basically get very little information about what the rear end is doing.
IMO the G27 is a good wheel if you're into drag racing (but come on, how long will it take before you get bored?) or drifting, since it offers so little resistance that turning it is really easy and fast. But out of the two, I'd buy the DFGT - it is 50% cheaper, quieter and has better (more pronounced) force feedback. You won't get the shifter or the three-pedal pedals set, and that's a disadvantage, but it's the wheel that matters most.

Between the G27 and the DFGT, I'd choose the latter. Have had both of these wheels and the G27 well, to me it sucked so much I returned it to the shop a few days after purchase. It is loud, makes a horrid rattling sound every time you are over a kerb, on the grass or when you lock the brakes, and its force feedback is so weak you can barely feel anything in corners. True, it is strong enough when you're on the straight, you feel all the bumps nicely, but once you start to turn it there is nothing, it's as if the wheel was on the spring. You can't feel the car oversteer or understeer, you basically get very little information about what the rear end is doing.
IMO the G27 is a good wheel if you're into drag racing (but come on, how long will it take before you get bored?) or drifting, since it offers so little resistance that turning it is really easy and fast. But out of the two, I'd buy the DFGT - it is 50% cheaper, quieter and has better (more pronounced) force feedback. You won't get the shifter or the three-pedal pedals set, and that's a disadvantage, but it's the wheel that matters most.

Dude, i need some of the stuff you are smoking :D

Well, after much consideration and even more number crunching I have made a decision. I'll be picking up the Thrustmaster TX wheel to start and adding the Thrustmaster shifter and CSR Elite pedals at a later date. Wish I could get them all at once but life's more pressing matters take priority :(;)

Well, after much consideration and even more number crunching I have made a decision. I'll be picking up the Thrustmaster TX wheel to start and adding the Thrustmaster shifter and CSR Elite pedals at a later date. Wish I could get them all at once but life's more pressing matters take priority :(;)

Excellent choice! Hope to see you on track soon! (When MP is released of course ;))

Good call man. I have the TX, GTE rim and TH8RS shifter and love it.

I recommend the following settings in the TM control panel, 80% overall FFB, 100% periodic and constant FFB, 80% spring, 60% damper. Then adjust each game as needed.

My recommendation: Search a good 2nd hand G27. That wheel is awesome to start out with and if you're just beginning simracing you don't need a T500/TX yet, or the clubsport pedals. Because the G27 barely drops in price, you can sell it for about the same when you decide you want something better after like 1 year. I've had a DFGT, G27 and now a T500rs and the G27 is definatly the best wheel for the money. I bought my G27 cheap and selling it now, even making a profit after a year of racing!

The T500rs is definatly better, but if you're just starting out the upgrade is not worth it.

I wish one of the companies would stop with their annoying profit maximizing schemes and gives us some real options, for example, if I buy T500, I have to pay for pedals I don't want, plus their GT wheel is all but useless for open wheelers, of course, they'll be happy to sell me their F1 style rim.

TX sounds okay, but some question the feel and quality of the Ferrari 458 replica wheel, but at least it can be used for both GT and OW cars......but then again, I still have to pay for arguably worse pedals.

G27 is useless in rf2 and questionable in Asseto Corsa, but otherwise it's good value for money, but longterm, I'm thinking of bypassing the whole lot and see if accuforce or someone can make some proper equipment that can handle the FFB signal and not burden me with inferior gear I don't want.

I wish one of the companies would stop with their annoying profit maximizing schemes and gives us some real options, for example, if I buy T500, I have to pay for pedals I don't want, plus their GT wheel is all but useless for open wheelers, of course, they'll be happy to sell me their F1 style rim.

TX sounds okay, but some question the feel and quality of the Ferrari 458 replica wheel, but at least it can be used for both GT and OW cars......but then again, I still have to pay for arguably worse pedals.

G27 is useless in rf2 and questionable in Asseto Corsa, but otherwise it's good value for money, but longterm, I'm thinking of bypassing the whole lot and see if accuforce or someone can make some proper equipment that can handle the FFB signal and not burden me with inferior gear I don't want.

In what way is it useless in rF2 and Assetto Corsa? It feels good, especially in Assetto Corsa. Perhaps yours is set up wrong or something, and you disagreeing with my saying a G27 is fine only reinforces the point.

Granted, there are much better wheels out there, but as a set, for the price, I don't know of anything that comes close.

As someone stated, if he can get a G27 and he doesn't like it, he can sell it for almost the same price and get something better. That's what I would do anyway.

It simply doesn't work properly with some cars in rf2, this is accepted even at ISI forums, as for AC, I said it's questionable.

Fair enough. I have played most cars in rFactor 2, but not all of them, with no FFB issues, but it is entirely possible, of course.

Then again, there are people that have had the weirdest problems in rF1 too, so it could be that something's up with your wheel.

what i dont like in g27:
. the rim is thin and small making it feel like a toy after trying fanatec gt3 rs v2
. there is center deadzone
. the gears system feel a bit fake in some situations compared to super smooth fanatec belt system
. pedals are not good without modding but with brake nixim mod and bodnar cable it becomes very acceptable ... i also need to clean the pedals pots every 2-3 months
. the shifter also feels very soft an plastic without modding ... but by increasing the spring resistance and glue some rubber around the places where the shifter whacks make it feel very good ... now i also need to spray the sensors with tuner 600 every 1-2 months or will start to fail
. it needs a lot of maintainance after 2 years of intense use or it will start to faill on different parts ... but this should also apply to other brands

When you're talking about wheels, pedals, shifters under $1000, there 's always going to be compromised made to keep cost down. Each wheel/set you listed has made some compromises. In my honest opinion, under $1000 the T500 offers the most bang for the buck behind the G27. Fanatec also offers producs that are comparable at similar price points but their reliability is pretty hit or miss so that leves less options if you're not willing to gamble. I like the Thrustmaster TX base a lot, the Italia rim is ok at best, it does feel somewhat cheap for its price point but then against I like the button layout and the sheer amount of buttons it has and its super lightweight which gives better FFB response. The downside is that you get no secondary shifter and the pedals are of the basic two pedal variety but again, TM chose to make those compromises in order to keep cost down. The TX costs a good bit less than the T500RS so the pedals were compromised but you do get the only brushless motor wheel on the market at the moment.

Although the OP already seems to have made his decision, I`m chiming in here and saying that the G27 does its job since more than 3 years here without any failure. The ffb in Assetto Corsa feels really solid. Anybody stating anything else simply doesn`t know. Agreed the separate shifter feels like a toy, but the wheel itself and even the pedals feel solid to me.

what i dont like in g27:
. the rim is thin and small making it feel like a toy after trying fanatec gt3 rs v2
. the gears system feel a bit fake in some situations compared to super smooth fanatec belt system
. pedals are not good without modding but with brake nixim mod and bodnar cable it becomes very acceptable ... i also need to clean the pedals pots every 2-3 months
. the shifter also feels very soft an plastic without modding ... but by increasing the spring resistance and glue some rubber around the places where the shifter whacks make it feel very good ... now i also need to spray the sensors with tuner 600 every 1-2 months or will start to fail
. it needs a lot of maintainance after 2 years of intense use or it will start to faill on different parts ... but this should also apply to other brands

Jorge, the only thing I might disagree with your statment is the maintenance in regards to the TH8RS shifter since you said it should apply to other brands. The TH8RS is pretty solid and I haven't really run across too many people that have issues with it. Its incredibly well built at its price point.

what i dont like in g27:
The G27 is a very good wheel if you're not looking to spend a lot ammount of money. I've had the G27 for over a year, and felt no need to mod it because I didn't feel the need to. In over a year I've had the wheel I had no problem at all, didn't have to do anything with it and it had absolutely no maintenence. I'd play with it about 5-10 hours per week. The base is very solid and the pedals are quite good in my opinion. You can't expect the same thing from a $300 wheel as a $600 dollar T500rs. I think the T500rs is NEVER twice as good as the G27. I did feel like the G27 was twice as good as the DFGT. If you can get your hands on a good 2nd hand G27 you can sell it for the same price as you bought it if you're just taking care of your stuff. If you feel like you need better quality I'd say go for the T500rs or a fanatec combo. I recently switched to the T500rs from the G27 and it's better, but not by a mile. I got the G27 cheap and selling it now with a slight profit :D

Latest News

Are you buying car setups?

• Yes

• No

Results are only viewable after voting.
Back