Volvo - The Game

• leahcim

@leahcim: all replays are stored so its an easy job to remove those people that try to disturb the competiton with cheating.

No it isn't an easy job. If bugs like slow down and speed up exist then it's not possible.

Perhaps for "obvious" fake times it might be,, but as I said, if it's possible to get an obvious fake time then clearly all times are in question...and, for people that can actually drive, the difference in lap times is tenths or even less. Can you really tell if the game dropped or added one tenth from looking at the replay? Not easily at all...and it's obvious that if the game can post a time that's 1 second out, it can probably be 1 tenth out too.

Get it now?

And again calling glitches that people have no control over "cheating" misses the point I made that a fair %age of the bugs that, for example, broke Race Pro's leaderboards had nothing to do with cheats and everything to do with a badly written game.

Plus there's the issue of scale. You are basically saying the equiv of "All email is readable, so it's easy to delete spam" Perhaps, but the actual problem is, there are millions and millions of email messages and it'd be huge expensive task to have someone reading and deleting them all.

Clearly (and if you'd read my post you would have seen this) any popular racing game is going to quickly make manual leaderboard editing both impractical from a cost and time perspective (indeed, you can see over at nogrip how one moderator has complained that the start up time for steam / gtr evo is too slow to make checking laps practical, if he had a popular game on his hands it wouldn't be possible)

It simply is not a solution however "easy" it appears to be to look at a lap and detect an obvious glitch or cheat.

So again, a popular, serious racing game has to be right and be trusted, otherwise it's a waste of time racing and competing in that game. Worse because people decide what times are possible and moan about times which are obviously wrong, but often simply accept times that look reasonable without thinking what the glitches really say about the potential for every time on the board to be wrong.

But yes, you're right to note that if you have a very small clique playing a game where the vast majority simply aren't competitive at all and are seconds off the pace, even in the same car then you could, in theory, accept any old crap code and just delete laps as you see fit....but if this is what you think Simbin and other game authors mentality is shared with yours, it's just a death knell for PC racing games. Simply put, you can't write your game using the theory that so few people will use it that you can manually check every leaderboard time. It's simply not cost effective.

Contratulations Peter!!!!!!!!!!!

You've now set the fastest "real" time, 1:42.933. My best so far is 1:43,6xx.

One thing I have noticed during both competitions, is that the weather is NOT the same in every session.

In competition 1 for example, on some servers it was raining whilst on others it was sunny.

In the current competition, some sessions are more overcast than others, and the grip, in my opinion, feels slightly better than when the session has completely clear blue skies.

With regards to cheating/bugs, if you download the fastest Time Attack time for the S60 Concept car, 1:42,919 set by someone most of us know, you will notice something very strange. The gearing seems to be different. In 3rd, 4th & 5th gears, the upchange speeds are higher than those which are normally possible. For example my car hits the rev limiter at 146/147, 176/177 in 3rd & 4th, whereas in this TA lap, higher speeds are reached before changing up. In 5th gear I hit the red zone around 197, whereas in the TA lap it's not reached until around 207.

• 4v6

Can someone remove the time i "seem" to have posted please?

Its not a proper time ( no kidding!!).
Was driving the track and got the words " Synchronising game" at the top half a dozen times throughout the lap and then that silly time was posted at the end.
Dosent make any sense to me why thatd happen, im still stuck on 1:45's....

Thats one BIG! Bug! :D

• blaki974

More tracks for game?

Will there be any more tracks for the game in the future? In that case, when and what tracks?

• 4v6

Just to say congrats to the winners on this one.

Woulda liked a new set of tyres lol but hey ho....:)

• André Stelling

If i am correct the online competition ends today. Any of you going for the prizes?

Pity, yesterday all fine now gone. Did inform btw Magnus Ling about the cheattimes, my best was 1:44.8 place 59.

Really hope they start the servers again.

• André Stelling

Try to get servers back online

I did send the Simbin guys an e-mail, trying to get the servers back online. Not for prices but just for fun, to compete.
Maybe when we all try it it will comes back ? Not really amusing to race against AI's :(
Or maybe they give us an option to Host ourself ?

email removed

Thats pretty quick indeed. But why not buy a game that is similar to volvo the game and play that online Andre?

Btw: removed that email address because i think you are sending it to the wrong person :)

• André Stelling

Thats pretty quick indeed. But why not buy a game that is similar to volvo the game and play that online Andre?
Did them almost all. Lately just rFactor and GTR2, when I'm not flying that is, Volvo was refreshing, simple, nice sound too.

Btw: removed that email address because i think you are sending it to the wrong person :)
Oops, tnx :D

• jettamc22

Volvo The Game - Video Error

Hi, Can anyone help please. I've just downloaded the free Volvo Game based on the S60 but with other cars included but I can't get it to run. I match the minimum spec but on starting the game I immediately get the message 'Video Device Error - the application will close. Any ideas?

first should really be,

Video card drivers up to date,
Do a re-install of the game. (being sure to uninstall first not install over the old)
It may be DirectX related, you can check that you are up to date there too although the download can be quite big.

System specs are always usefull as Eyghon-RD said.

• jettamc22

Thanks for advice. I'll post system spec, but I tried running a download freebie called Uniblue DriverScanner and it said my video drivers were OK. I'll also do a re-install and report back. Not sure what to do to check DirectX - I ran DXDiag and the version was 9.0c so I thought it would be OK. However don't have a special Graphics card only the Intel 82915G which came in the PC when new.

That is quite an old Chipset, you may well be running DX9.0c but it doesn't necessarily mean the card is fully DX9 compatible and many onboard graphics chips struggle with gaming, I doubt you will be able to run Race07/GTR-E\Volvo, it may well be OK with previous games such as Race but like I said post full system specs mate.

Regards

Latest News

How long have you been simracing

• < 1 year

Votes: 337 15.5%
  • < 2 years

Votes: 229 10.5%
  • < 3 years

Votes: 229 10.5%
  • < 4 years

Votes: 171 7.9%
  • < 5 years